The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Ken Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I looked at the Garmin as a cost saver. I can sometimes learn and improve more in one session with the Garmin than I did in a full day with other systems.
For a few years I looked at the guys who poured over data as folks i just did not understand. Now, I do a cool down lap, shut the car off and start looking at data. Then I get out of the car. Likely because I needed to get “some skills” before data meant anything to me. Now, I can’t get enough. Overlaying fastest lap over optimal laps shows me where I can improve. I guess I’m getting better.

love your build.
I love my Garmin, I just need an easy way to wye it in with my radios so I can hear both.
I tried a stereo wye cord and stereo ear buds to hear garmin in one ear and radios in the other but for some reason it didn't work.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Maybe a separate system, bud for each ear would work. Old school, keep it simple.
Yeah, that's my last resort.....my custom molded earbuds fit so well I hate to use anything else.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Michigan
I looked at the Garmin as a cost saver. I can sometimes learn and improve more in one session with the Garmin than I did in a full day with other systems.
For a few years I looked at the guys who poured over data as folks i just did not understand. Now, I do a cool down lap, shut the car off and start looking at data. Then I get out of the car. Likely because I needed to get “some skills” before data meant anything to me. Now, I can’t get enough. Overlaying fastest lap over optimal laps shows me where I can improve. I guess I’m getting better.

love your build.
that is a good way to view it that I hadn't really been thinking off, I was just looking at cost of entry but certainly session improvements vs the price of seat time is more valuable.
I appreciate the advice and the kind words about the build!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Michigan
I love my Garmin, I just need an easy way to wye it in with my radios so I can hear both.
I tried a stereo wye cord and stereo ear buds to hear garmin in one ear and radios in the other but for some reason it didn't work.
if I am following correct I would guess you need a cord that is isolating your buds per left and right side so both the Garmin and the radio could be plugged in at once. are you only getting one or the other or is it a jumble of both?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
that is a good way to view it that I hadn't really been thinking off, I was just looking at cost of entry but certainly session improvements vs the price of seat time is more valuable.
I appreciate the advice and the kind words about the build!
Seat time, drivers mods are the best bang for the buck after tires and wheels. Solid feedback, at least for me, gave me the best bang for the buck regarding seat time. A solid coach in the right seat will likely beat any gadget you can use. Drivers mods are definitely why most of us are in hobby.
Unfortunately, the only seat time I’ll be getting any time soon will be running the snow blower on my John Deere. 12” predicted. :hellyeah:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Michigan
Seat time, drivers mods are the best bang for the buck after tires and wheels. Solid feedback, at least for me, gave me the best bang for the buck regarding seat time. A solid coach in the right seat will likely beat any gadget you can use. Drivers mods are definitely why most of us are in hobby.
Unfortunately, the only seat time I’ll be getting any time soon will be running the snow blower on my John Deere. 12” predicted. :hellyeah:
they definitely are and I used to have that at the forefront of when I went to the track and it has seemingly gotten buried behind all the other things I want to do or know. In the absence of an actual coach this would be a good addition
oof I feel that all too well I gotta get out my trusty shovel and have at it but I think we are only expected to get about half what you are ha

I wanted to take some time to create this build list as hopes to maybe help some others out as I did a ton of research on this site to answer many of my own questions as the process went on. I did my best to use vendors that support the site and I used quite a few of them.
The car started innocently enough as a 2005 GT with a stock 4.6L and a 5 speed trans. I thought about going with the newer 5.0 in the S197 chassis but after I saw NASA had a spec series with these cars I was set on the 3 valve. After a couple months of nationwide searches on auto sales sites I found one 15 minutes from my house and then the building began.
While the Spec Iron is the ultimate goal I figured I may as well have some fun with it for the time being and go a little outside their rules for now.
View attachment 68892View attachment 68893
From what I could tell no body issues with the car and the owner I bought from did a pretty thorough suspension job on it which helped. It was Eibach shocks/struts, springs, sway bars, GT500 strut mounts, and bump stops. Based on what I was reading from most people these cars were under-tired and under-braked so those were the first two items to get addressed.
StopTech ST40 calipers with their 2 piece aero rotor and stainless steel lines (Ordered from Maximum Motorsports) and some 18x11 Apex EC-7 wheels were underway. Since I went with the 18x11 wheels I needed Ford Racing hubs with APR studs along with some 25mm spacers from OP Mustang, I was originally going to go 18x10 wheels but after talking with Cory from Apex he recommended the wider wheel and I am very glad I went with them. It seemed tire choices were pretty up in the air so I figured I would give the RT660's a go as they were priced good and I was rather certain I would be limiting the tires more than they were limiting me.
View attachment 68895View attachment 68896View attachment 68897View attachment 68898View attachment 68899View attachment 68900View attachment 68901
After this I moved on to address the rear end, despite the previous owner doing a lot of suspension the lower control arms were not changed out so the angle was wrong and I got a good bit of wheel hop as the rear did not want to squat under acceleration, I went with Maximum Motorsports relocation brackets, control arms, and panhard bar to help really keep the rear planted. To help out the front I added some caster camber plates and went with the Vorshlag ones. To get full utilization of them I had to cut open the strut tower opening, a 2-3/4" hole saw gave plenty of room and I can get about 3 degrees of negative camber.
View attachment 68903
View attachment 68904View attachment 68905View attachment 68906View attachment 68902
Lastly there is the hood, I was reading a lot about overheating issues and front end lift at high speeds due to lack of venting in the hood along with no under tray. I was going to hold off but Trackspec was running a good deal on their vents around the holidays last year so I decided to capitalize. Nothing like cutting holes in a perfectly good hood, it took myself and a buddy the better part of 2-3 evenings to measure and cut everything as we are both very particular but they came out great.
View attachment 68911View attachment 68912View attachment 68910View attachment 68913
Outside of this I added some GLOC R12 front and R10 rear pads from KNS Brakes and have been regularly changing/checking fluids and just working on getting as much seat time as I can. Michigan really limits the season but I have been thankful enough to get in 10 events at 5 different tracks so far this year and the car feels great, taking disturbances in the tracks at speed took some getting used to but it just takes time and I love it. I really wanted to make this build reasonably priced as possible and get as much seat time and I could have saved some money with cheaper calipers like the Brembos with single piece rotors and the narrower wheels but I am really happy with the choices I made and I think the next step is a trailer to get to some events further away and more track time!
View attachment 68907View attachment 68908View attachment 68909
Roll couple looks completely dialed in.. aka front and back have the same consistent tire gap at max roll. and those wheels and tire combo.. you running enough negative camber? that don't look like no -3.5 degrees!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
if I am following correct I would guess you need a cord that is isolating your buds per left and right side so both the Garmin and the radio could be plugged in at once. are you only getting one or the other or is it a jumble of both?
It kills both

R u back in IL

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Michigan
Roll couple looks completely dialed in.. aka front and back have the same consistent tire gap at max roll. and those wheels and tire combo.. you running enough negative camber? that don't look like no -3.5 degrees!
Roll couple has felt good too! If I remember correctly it is just over -3 degrees, I have been happy with the tire wear and the few pictures I have seen of the car loaded in a corner the outside tire looks like it is pretty well planted so I haven't messed with it from that too much

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Quit your complaining , you could be back in Mississippi which seems to have a horrific tornado every week. I think I prefer the snow over the insane weather those in the South have been having this Winter. Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia have had some wicked weather over the past month and a half.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am. Freezing my thinned blood at the moment. This will be my first full winter since 2005. :hellyeah:
I do not envy you. I have not endured a northern Michigan winter since 1995. I don't think I could handle it again and I know my wife couldn't, she is an east Tennessee native.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I’m just here in California like:

IMG_6177.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel