The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kenny Brown AGS 4.5: Have I Been Living Under A rock Or Is This Brand New?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So my k-link is in assembly, whatever that means. I have no eta on the coil overs ( with appropriate k-link springs ) or the k-link. But the car looks awesome out of paint :)
KB assured me that I wont have any clearance issues with the apex 18*11 wheels, but Im skeptical. My whole suspension will be sourced from them, every bit of it.

DB2171A2-AD77-43F6-B972-03302DFFD7A4.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
So my k-link is in assembly, whatever that means. I have no eta on the coil overs ( with appropriate k-link springs ) or the k-link. But the car looks awesome out of paint :)
KB assured me that I wont have any clearance issues with the apex 18*11 wheels, but Im skeptical. My whole suspension will be sourced from them, every bit of it.
In for updates!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
So my k-link is in assembly, whatever that means. I have no eta on the coil overs ( with appropriate k-link springs ) or the k-link.
I think that means they literally just need to assemble it, set it up, and ship it out (e.g. parts are back from powder coating, all parts are in-house).

Regarding tire clearance, pay close attention to the inner walls of the wheel housing. Low roll centers mean the axle literally rotates around a point closer to the ground, which means the axle will naturally move laterally around that roll center more than when the roll center is higher. It's geometry, and there is no way around that with a stick axle. I'll be curious if you see any signs of rubbing.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
Any update?

It just cleared customs, the paperwork wasnt right. I hope to get it installed next week. I dont know when I get the coilovers with the spring rates for this though, thats supposed to ship this week, but I have not gotten any updates on those parts. Kenny Browen posted for a event Aug 30 on the k-link in their private group, I signed up for that. Im running a taller tire than what the instructions are for and Im supposed to contact them for guidance on setting up the roll center, they didnt get back to me on that yet. Im not worried about setup until its bolted onto the car though. I have my hands full building the splitter this week and mounting the wing.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
It just cleared customs, the paperwork wasnt right. I hope to get it installed next week. I dont know when I get the coilovers with the spring rates for this though, thats supposed to ship this week, but I have not gotten any updates on those parts. Kenny Browen posted for a event Aug 30 on the k-link in their private group, I signed up for that. Im running a taller tire than what the instructions are for and Im supposed to contact them for guidance on setting up the roll center, they didnt get back to me on that yet. Im not worried about setup until its bolted onto the car though. I have my hands full building the splitter this week and mounting the wing.
Oh, I see you're in Canada. That makes sense now.

I installed the K-Link (Sn #003) on my 2013 Boss 302LS last year, and have tracked it at Portland Raceway (PIR), The Ridge (RMP), and Oregon Raceway (ORP) several times last year. I also have driven several events so far at PIR & RMP this year. I have 4 or five more track days scheduled yet this year.

Bottom line is that it works. Net gain was 4-5 seconds/lap, depending on the track. I had previously been running the KB 4.0 Rear Grip kit, which was worth 2 seconds, give or take. When I added the K-Link I gained another 2-3 seconds. I've run it with Firestone Indy 500 (Apex 18x10), Toyo R888R (Oz Racing 19x9 & 19x10), Pirelli P-Zero slicks (Apex 18x10), and Pirelli Trofeo (Apex18x10). It will tend to push with the Firestones, so I raise the rear roll center about 1/2" when running them (rarely).

I know there's another 2 or 3 seconds that can be found, and I'm still stretching the envelope to get there. Amazing how much sooner power can be applied exiting turns now. The car is street licensed although it's rarely on the street, but works just fine there. It's always trailered to the tracks.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
Bottom line is that it works. Net gain was 4-5 seconds/lap, depending on the track. I had previously been running the KB 4.0 Rear Grip kit, which was worth 2 seconds, give or take. When I added the K-Link I gained another 2-3 seconds. I've run it with Firestone Indy 500 (Apex 18x10), Toyo R888R (Oz Racing 19x9 & 19x10), Pirelli P-Zero slicks (Apex 18x10), and Pirelli Trofeo (Apex18x10). It will tend to push with the Firestones, so I raise the rear roll center about 1/2" when running them (rarely).
Woah. That's a pretty dramatic improvement! My experience is with pro racing (IMSA), so on the face of it, those lap time drops seem too good to be true. Like, how can a geometry change affect lap times that much?!? However, in the context of a track day customer, CONFIDENCE plays a large role. If the driver feels more confident planting the throttle earlier in the corner and throttle-on oversteer is reduced, then the lap time gains you're claiming make more sense.

Couple questions: 1) What are your front and rear spring rates? 2) What sway bar(s) are you running?

I dont have mine installed yet but KB sold me 650\650 springs, stock front bar and no rear bar is what they recommended. 18*11 wheels, slicks. A highter matched spring rate is recommeneded if your a pro driver, this is my first car on slicks so Im sticking with more a rookie spring rate. Other car is a LS1 powered 944 and I ran only 275 nitto nt-01 on that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Today would have been Kenny Browns Birthday. R.I.P. Kenny Brown.

KB Decal.jpg

Woah. That's a pretty dramatic improvement! My experience is with pro racing (IMSA), so on the face of it, those lap time drops seem too good to be true. Like, how can a geometry change affect lap times that much?!? However, in the context of a track day customer, CONFIDENCE plays a large role. If the driver feels more confident planting the throttle earlier in the corner and throttle-on oversteer is reduced, then the lap time gains you're claiming make more sense.

Couple questions: 1) What are your front and rear spring rates? 2) What sway bar(s) are you running?
Spring rates at this moment are 650/650. Front bar is the standard Boss 302LS bar. Rear bar is removed, no longer needed.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
Yes, feel free to sign up for the preview. It will most likely be a live zoom meeting, and lots of good info will be shared. Here's a picture taken last week at The Ridge Motorsports Park. Look closely and you will see the K-Link. I ran it most of last year, and this Summer. It's been a great addition to the car! Thanks!
Have you noticed any rubbing on the inner wheel wells? If you're running a square wheel/tire setup, that probably isn't much of a concern than if you were running at the limit of rear tire/whee width.

Have you noticed any rubbing on the inner wheel wells? If you're running a square wheel/tire setup, that probably isn't much of a concern than if you were running at the limit of rear tire/whee width.
It's quite possible that a 11x18 tire setup could be right up against a 2 1/2" coil-over rear shock. In a high lateral "G" scenario it's going to be close. I run 900# springs on the adjustable axle spring perch, and not a rear coil on the shock, so it's not an issue in my case. A wide wheel/tire configuration needs to be discussed with KB Support, before purchasing. There's a lot of variables here.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Nashville, TN
It's quite possible that a 11x18 tire setup could be right up against a 2 1/2" coil-over rear shock. In a high lateral "G" scenario it's going to be close. I run 900# springs on the adjustable axle spring perch, and not a rear coil on the shock, so it's not an issue in my case. A wide wheel/tire configuration needs to be discussed with KB Support, before purchasing. There's a lot of variables here.
What's your front suspension setup (besides the 650 lb/in springs and LS sway bar)?

TMO Supporting Vendors