The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kenny Brown G-Stream Wing Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APR makes the vents or TruFiber/TruCarbon make the full fenders. I like the full fenders option better.

http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Itemid=44

Sesshomurai

Ill probably go with a CF trunk lid as i think it will handle the downforce fine.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
APR makes the vents or TruFiber/TruCarbon make the full fenders. I like the full fenders option better.
http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Itemid=44

I think Gary needs to get these and test them out ;D

PeteInCT said:
5 DOT 0 said:

With the length of his 2013 Winter mod list I'm not sure he'll have time to get them installed. :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
darreng505 said:
Ill probably go with a CF trunk lid as i think it will handle the downforce fine.

Just be careful when you're buying; make sure you ask the companies what loads they have tested their parts under. Many of the companies out there make "cosmetic" CF which will not hold up. Or you could always find a shop and have it made :)

5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
5 DOT 0 said:

With the length of his 2013 Winter mod list I'm not sure he'll have time to get them installed. :eek:
I don't believe I've published my 2013 winter mod list yet........

As Captain Kirk used to say.........."We need more power Scotty!"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LS110 said:
Did you fabricate all the parts yourself or were you able to buy some of them? Do you buy a steel lid or go with graphite or fiberglass?
I ordered another factory trunk lid and everything else was fabricated by myself and a friend's metal shop and welded up by him.

KRost - Looks like I may need to do the fab work as well, although I am going to keep looking to see if I can buy the parts.

Captain Kirk - If you need more power that means I will need more power which means I am back to needing a 68" wing.... Reality is I already have more power than the guy behind the wheel can handle. What I need is a new driver.

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
darreng505 said:

Just be careful when you're buying; make sure you ask the companies what loads they have tested their parts under. Many of the companies out there make "cosmetic" CF which will not hold up. Or you could always find a shop and have it made :)

Good point. I would say for a 62" wing it needs to withstand 300lbs downforce.

Dave at g-stream made a good point about CF or FG lids that neither will support the weight of a wing. Both would require a subframe mod like some of the above photos show. Thus the wing is directly supported by the frame and the lid carries none of the weight.

Sesshomurai

LS110 said:
Dave at g-stream made a good point about CF or FG lids that neither will support the weight of a wing. Both would require a subframe mod like some of the above photos show. Thus the wing is directly supported by the frame and the lid carries none of the weight.

Im gonna have to debunk his remarks. CF has 2-4x the tensile strength of stainless steel.
Given that the deck lid can disperse its load over a broad area which is supported ultimately into the chassis i deem CF (low modulus kind) very viable. And i will install my new APR CF 58" wing on CF trunk lid and test it at 150mph at VIR in Feb. Im curious.

darreng505 said:
Im gonna have to debunk his remarks. CF has 2-4x the tensile strength of stainless steel.
You forgot to add if it's constructed properly. These parts are made for looks not strength. With that said I have no idea if they are stronger than stock or not but since they didn't know how much the stock parts weigh I'm betting there's not much added strength.

Darren - That will be a great test of CF lid. Be sure to let us know how it works. A big plus is the weight reduction you will get, especially if you are not adding the frame support in the trunk. Keep in mind the concern of the unlikely event of getting turned around and going backwards at 150. This will put an immense upward lift on the trunk. With that said, if I were going backward at 150, I would be happy if just losing the trunk and wing is all that happens.

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:
You forgot to add if it's constructed properly. These parts are made for looks not strength. With that said I have no idea if they are stronger than stock or not but since they didn't know how much the stock parts weigh I'm betting there's not much added strength.

Ill dig deeper into this and report back. Good points. A CF trunk is logical to support a wing if its a good weave. They dont look great to me so ill prep mine for paint.

TMO Supporting Vendors