The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kevin's Type 65 Daytona Coupe R Build Thread Profile - Non Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
While I know this isn't a Mustang persay, I figured many of ya'll would be interested in this one. Plus, it will be powered and stopped by Mustang parts :)

Plan for this car initially is to be my main track rat - so it'll get a good 40 hours of track time per year. I'd like to run 18s on it so I can have easy access to take off slicks - though I do wonder if I'll have trouble getting enough into the take-offs to fire them up. I'm told the Gen 3 weighs about 2600 lbs.

Status as of mid October 2022 -

My Daytona Coupe R kit was ordered beginning of this month - this is the full race kit with SCCA/NASA legal cage and all the parts needed to get on the track outside of powertrain and wheels.

My plans are to drop in a 302-based powerplant my buddy has gracious traded me for some wheels. He's also sending a 5 speed TKO - I don't know enough about that trans to know if it'll suffice - appreciate any feedback folks have. Waiting on a time to go pick these up to dive into them to see what kind of shape they're really in.

For the rear end, I went with a 2015 Mustang IRS setup using the diff out of my Mustang - so I already have that.

Fuel tank will the ATI fuel cell that I am using in the mustang. I plan to use the Coupe fuel cell to fab up mounting in the Mustang and then transfer it over to the Daytona once the kit comes in.

As for electronics, I am thinking about running an AIM PDM32 with 6in screen - will help me clean up wiring, ensure I have good datalogging, and make it easy to program some alarms to help keep the motor alive since I won't have an ECU.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Going to be a bad ass car. Can’t wait to see the end result. I’ll likely go against the grain here, but I would install a close ratio Toploader four speed from either Dan Williams or David Kee. Grenade proof and more period correct.

Monaca Pa
While I know this isn't a Mustang persay, I figured many of ya'll would be interested in this one. Plus, it will be powered and stopped by Mustang parts :)

Plan for this car initially is to be my main track rat - so it'll get a good 40 hours of track time per year. I'd like to run 18s on it so I can have easy access to take off slicks - though I do wonder if I'll have trouble getting enough into the take-offs to fire them up. I'm told the Gen 3 weighs about 2600 lbs.

Status as of mid October 2022 -

My Daytona Coupe R kit was ordered beginning of this month - this is the full race kit with SCCA/NASA legal cage and all the parts needed to get on the track outside of powertrain and wheels.

My plans are to drop in a 302-based powerplant my buddy has gracious traded me for some wheels. He's also sending a 5 speed TKO - I don't know enough about that trans to know if it'll suffice - appreciate any feedback folks have. Waiting on a time to go pick these up to dive into them to see what kind of shape they're really in.

For the rear end, I went with a 2015 Mustang IRS setup using the diff out of my Mustang - so I already have that.

Fuel tank will the ATI fuel cell that I am using in the mustang. I plan to use the Coupe fuel cell to fab up mounting in the Mustang and then transfer it over to the Daytona once the kit comes in.

As for electronics, I am thinking about running an AIM PDM32 with 6in screen - will help me clean up wiring, ensure I have good datalogging, and make it easy to program some alarms to help keep the motor alive since I won't have an ECU.
Are you still building the Mustang ??

TX
No major updates yet - still waiting on the kit to be built. Planning our trip to MA to pick it up in May. Any of my New England friends have any recommendations of areas to hit up/want to meet up while we're in the area?

In other news - I've decided to go with Jericho-like 4/5 speed with this build. So I am on the look out for a good unit if anyone is aware - I'd prefer a top mount shifter, but I can supposedly work with a side mount if needed. Please keep your eyes peeled.

Oh - and I'll need a Ford 8.8 IRS diff if anyone has an extra they don't need. Oh and non-GT350 rear lower control arms :)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
TX
Thanks for the resource, Patrick! I'm just wading into the vintage Ford waters - so appreciate help finding the right vendors/folks to listen to.

I think I recall you mentioning having a 4spd Jerico, correct? Did you ever run it in a car?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I don't have one...wish I did. I run a standard close ratio Toploader. Nothing wrong with it, I just have to use the clutch. Some of the vintage race groups allow the Toploaders with Jerico gears. Very nice transmissions. Our groups rules do not permit the Jerico gears.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honesty, Patrick, I like your group's rules, because part of the mystique in driving Vintage Racers is having it reasonably close to the time frame in which the cars ran. I look forward to seeing you in Topeka in this year , since watching you guys hammer the old iron is almost as fun as running myself --- key word, almost!

Last edited:
TX
The nice thing about the FFR Daytona is that its so light that even a MT82 would probably work out pretty well. Its always been on my bucket list.
Yeah - supposedly around 2,400lbs. with 400hp and no aero, it'll be a hoot I think

I have TK5 that came with the engine, but I just don't want the hassle. I hate pulling trans and would rather have something bullet proof, light, and easy to work with. Plus, dog rings :)

TMO Supporting Vendors