The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get one track key and one regular key? or two of each? I probably sound stupid but I want to make sure I got the right amount of keys

Sesshomurai

Good question actually. I only have one of each, but would definitely be interested in a "spare" track key.

You only get two keys with the car. They are both the same unless you have the track-key program installed. Then the red key is the track key.
I know you can buy new keys from ford, but they are expensive and I am not sure if you can have more than two keys at a time

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
F18SMM said:
You only get two keys with the car. They are both the same unless you have the track-key program installed. Then the red key is the track key.
I know you can buy new keys from ford, but they are expensive and I am not sure if you can have more than two keys at a time

Just bought an extra set of keys, one silver and one red. They both start the car. The second red does not activate the track key tune. Because of this, the dealer did not charge me for the second red key. I guess I will keep it for a spare if i loose the original red key. The dealer called Ford Racing who confirmed to them that only one red key at a time with the tune.
:'(

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Hmm.So, what happens if you lose the red key and have to get a new one? Would I have to re-download the flash at the dealer to get it to work?

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
fbbob96 said:
Hmm.So, what happens if you lose the red key and have to get a new one? Would I have to re-download the flash at the dealer to get it to work?

I was told to activate the second red key, removing first, would involve Ford and software at dealer. Cost?

My dealer is excellent...no cost for simply updates such as these.

TMSBOSS said:
F18SMM said:

Just bought an extra set of keys, one silver and one red. They both start the car. The second red does not activate the track key tune. Because of this, the dealer did not charge me for the second red key. I guess I will keep it for a spare if i loose the original red key. The dealer called Ford Racing who confirmed to them that only one red key at a time with the tune.

That implies you could have two different track keys programmed differently. Is that true? I would like two programed keys for different size tires.
I was told it couldn't couldn't be done by my local dealer.

TMSBOSS said:
The dealer called Ford Racing who confirmed to them that only one red key at a time with the tune.
This is my understanding of TK, only one TK programmed at a time so no separate key for different sized tires. You can have multiple non TK keys and it's a good idea to have another key programmed as you need two keys to program a new one. If you only have one you'll need to go to the dealer and pay to have them program a new key.

The first 13 steps of programming the track key mate the key to the car. It will not change any programming just activate the key. It does take a ford tech

trackey.ford.com faq indicates only 1 track key for the car. But I believe that if you lose the red key you do buy another and have key programmed but won't need rebuy the whole trackey programming.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
shlby500 said:
trackey.ford.com faq indicates only 1 track key for the car. But I believe that if you lose the red key you do buy another and have key programmed but won't need rebuy the whole trackey programming.

Yep. Wish I would have written my response a bit clearer. Only one red key at a time will activate TK. Ford tech needed to make the change.

Jet lag....That's my excuse. 15 hours in a metal tube will do that to you.

:-[

Sesshomurai

Is it possible to program a separate silver key with a tune? It would be awesome to have different keys that activate different tunes, but I guess that might be too much stress on the motor.
I only run the track key all the time in fear of this.

Eventually an aftermarket tuner will figure it out, unless they are scared of Ford's lawyers. Aftermarket tunes for many platforms now have push button switching.

CaliMR said:
Eventually an aftermarket tuner will figure it out, unless they are scared of Ford's lawyers. Aftermarket tunes for many platforms now have push button switching.

I have resisted installing the track key tune in hopes that an aftermarket tuner will be able to access the track key side of the PCM and install the aftermarket tune there. From what I've read about track key tune it does not interest me or suit my needs. It's cool that Ford made it available and all but they don't even back it with the full warranty the car originated with. Why charge for it? The logical trade would be ...If you choose to activate the track key your warranty is affected, but no fee required.....just my 2 cents....
Lund , AED and other tuners I know your listening!

BOSS2664 said:
CaliMR said:

I have resisted installing the track key tune in hopes that an aftermarket tuner will be able to access the track key side of the PCM and install the aftermarket tune there. From what I've read about track key tune it does not interest me or suit my needs. It's cool that Ford made it available and all but they don't even back it with the full warranty the car originated with. Why charge for it? The logical trade would be ...If you choose to activate the track key your warranty is affected, but no fee required.....just my 2 cents....
Lund , AED and other tuners I know your listening!

I felt the same way as you. I ended up with a track key anyway. It seems Ford intended the car to be driven with the Track Key. The only performance difference I notice is the braking.

TMO Supporting Vendors