The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kids driving the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taking my college sophomore out to drive the Boss. He's never driven a manual so wish me luck ::) Taught the 17 year old a couple weeks ago and it went fine, but we just stayed in the big parking lot at the fairgrounds. ;)

Good luck! Please report back if you make it back. ;D

cloud9 said:
Taking my college sophomore out to drive the Boss. He's never driven a manual so wish me luck ::) Taught the 17 year old a couple weeks ago and it went fine, but we just stayed in the big parking lot at the fairgrounds. ;)
Better keep those keys locked up or someone may borrow the Boss when Dad's not looking. ;)

Well we didn't get out of the driveway before it started to rain....again. Went and had breakfast before he goes back to Lincoln to his internship today. Fortunately he's coming back next weekend for the 4th so we can try again.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Is that your strategy? Don't teach them how to drive a manual trans before they start to become responsible? That way no worries about the car being snuck out of the garage without your knowledge? :)

BossMan

I wish I could say the same but 3 speeding tickets in 3 yrs is not good. Fortunately they were dropped but next time, well there want be a next time. I keep telling myself it could be a lot worse.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I won't be giving any of my (future) kids any driving lessons in the Boss. Probably by the time they're old enough, I'm thinking manual transmissions may be the way of the dinosaur.

GA
Sorry, nobody would drive my Boss except me (and maybe the woman occasionally). I think it is a great idea for people to teach their kids to drive manual though. It is becoming a lost art. With paddle shifter automatics and other improvements in automatics, the manual transmission is fading away (especially in the US). For a true sports car though I think most people will still demand fully manual transmissions though.

I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I recall reading that some of todays automatic transmissions are faster than sticks - I guess that would be calculated in acceleration / quarter mile / 0-60, since top end would only be a factor the the final gear ratio. One of the experts can correct me here if I am wrong.

DigiCowboy said:
I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I recall reading that some of todays automatic transmissions are faster than sticks - I guess that would be calculated in acceleration / quarter mile / 0-60, since top end would only be a factor the the final gear ratio. One of the experts can correct me here if I am wrong.
I believe you' right. I noticed that on the CTS-V stats for the 0-60. I think Europe is driving the automatic trannies with paddle shifters. On the Z-4, you can upgrade to a six speed steptronic or a 7 speed double-clutch. According to MSN Autos, only 7.7 percent of all autos sold last year contained a manual gearbox.

Say what you may about the new automatics, I love driving a stick! It seems to put you more in control of driving your car. Downshift, upshift, you are in control! I hadn't driven a manual trans since the 70's but recently bought a 04 GT 5sd to get ready for my BOSS. Best move I ever made...Driving the pants out of that car.....making up for the 30 yrs of driving an automatic. Now all I need is my BOSS!!

302BOB said:
Say what you may about the new automatics, I love driving a stick! It seems to put you more in control of driving your car. Downshift, upshift, you are in control! I hadn't driven a manual trans since the 70's but recently bought a 04 GT 5sd to get ready for my BOSS. Best move I ever made...Driving the pants out of that car.....making up for the 30 yrs of driving an automatic. Now all I need is my BOSS!!
Yea I'm with you on this one. It just doesn't "feel" like a performance car with an automatic. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

cloud9 said:
302BOB said:
Yea I'm with you on this one. It just doesn't "feel" like a performance car with an automatic. Maybe I'm just stubborn.
I agree with you guys but then again I haven't driven a new 458 Italia yet. ;D

After driving the Boss for about a week now, after 30+ years of automatics .....
I took my granny car to work today (MKX) and only tried to step on the emergency brake about 3 times when stopping ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors