The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Kiwi Track Rat's Boss 302 resurrection Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Melbourne
Thanks Bill, yep I'm very excited to at have secured tickets, it sold out in 20 mins yesterday! It is non competitive though many of the folks attending are very competitive people, so there is always a lot of friendly banter and bragging rights at stake. The way the organisers have structured the tour is slightly differently to prior years. This time they are running 3 separate trips - Bikes, Cars and "Prestige".

Prestige has slightly smaller groups on track and allows people to have insurance cover at the event, so that means it will be full of BMW M cars and Porsche GT3s and GT4s, with a smattering of McLarens and Ferraris. I really entered the Prestige tour more as the timing in early March suits me better and it also covers 4 tracks (the other groups do all the 3 south island tracks twice) so has a bit more variety. I'm guessing there might be a few raised eyebrows when a stick axle Mustang shows up! :D😝😜
If it's not a competition, is it just a good time? I don't mind, I'm just wondering what the point of this tour is.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nothing wrong with a good time, especially if it is with a bunch of car crazies ------I imagine there will be plenty of bench racing after each track day and then the true liquid competition will begin!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
I started ordering a few parts to resolve a few issues and get prepared for summer nothing will be installed for a few months but gathering parts is always fun.

Thanks to @Fabman my 4" inlet ducts arrived and they are very nice pieces. I'm pretty sure with these, the Pagids and decent fluid means I'll be able to continue with the stock 4 piston Brembos for quite a while. I'm going to order a tubular radiator support (Steeda or BMR? I'm unsure at this stage) to help with space for hose routing.
53121661463_56ebc943f9_c.jpg

Then oil cooler, I'm still procrastinating while re-reading every oil cooler thread here on TMO. I'll probably just get the Setrab 948 - it's likely overkill but I hate potentially undercooking things and having to revisit it again later. That's just a waste of time and money.

Speaking of overkill I think I've caught the Magnum XL lust bug. My trans is great at the moment but my "man logic" tells me I'm better to upgrade now, keep the MT82 in good condition so I can re-install it later (if I ever sell the car). Rather than wait for the MT82 to have issues and then have to upgrade anyway. However it's a chunky investment by the time I ship one down here, pay taxes, change up the clutch and driveshaft and get it all installed. Hmmmmm, I think I'll need to sleep on that one for a bit.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Beware the lust bug!!! To be honest the stock Boss oil cooler is pretty good for track days.

Everything has a cause and effect, if you upgrade to Pagids, you will notice that brake dive is significant, then you will start thinking about springs or coilovers... And it never stops!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Beware the lust bug!!! To be honest the stock Boss oil cooler is pretty good for track days.

Everything has a cause and effect, if you upgrade to Pagids, you will notice that brake dive is significant, then you will start thinking about springs or coilovers... And it never stops!
I'm using Pagid RST3 (F) and RSL29 (R) now, they are great. You do get some brake dive but not too bad and the brakes are easily modulated. Oil cooling I do have a challenge with, 5-6 laps on a cold day and it's nudging the upper end of the scale. But you're right, maybe I need to scale back a bit. Keeping the oil too cool is also not great.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I started ordering a few parts to resolve a few issues and get prepared for summer nothing will be installed for a few months but gathering parts is always fun.

Thanks to @Fabman my 4" inlet ducts arrived and they are very nice pieces. I'm pretty sure with these, the Pagids and decent fluid means I'll be able to continue with the stock 4 piston Brembos for quite a while. I'm going to order a tubular radiator support (Steeda or BMR? I'm unsure at this stage) to help with space for hose routing.
View attachment 88451

Then oil cooler, I'm still procrastinating while re-reading every oil cooler thread here on TMO. I'll probably just get the Setrab 948 - it's likely overkill but I hate potentially undercooking things and having to revisit it again later. That's just a waste of time and money.

Speaking of overkill I think I've caught the Magnum XL lust bug. My trans is great at the moment but my "man logic" tells me I'm better to upgrade now, keep the MT82 in good condition so I can re-install it later (if I ever sell the car). Rather than wait for the MT82 to have issues and then have to upgrade anyway. However it's a chunky investment by the time I ship one down here, pay taxes, change up the clutch and driveshaft and get it all installed. Hmmmmm, I think I'll need to sleep on that one for a bit.
My, those are some sexy brake ducts you have there…. Very nice!

IMG_4601.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

View attachment 88451

BMR rad support for sure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting that you have temp issues on cold days with relatively light use. It's more or less stock still right??
Yep totally stock. I find oil temps rise steadily over 6-7 minutes on track, then I usually button off for a lap to cool it off and then push on again. As most sessions are only 15 minutes that's a bit annoying as you waste a lap or so.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
What high is the temperature your oil is running/
I'm using the stock digital guage in the 2013 cluster so not entirely sure. I read somewhere on TMO that the upper end of the green ("normal" scale ) is 279F (137C) but that was for S550s. I assume thats the same for S197? If it is that upper end is higher than I'm comfortable with and interestingly also tends to be when I start getting misfire codes. I will install a proper gauge though as well.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you do go for an air-to-oil cooler, use AN-12 lines, not AN-10, to prevent pressure drop. There are a couple of threads on it, and I'm pretty sure it's covered in the @Fabman build saga. From what I've gleaned, it's easier to find an adapter plate with AN-12 fittings and use an external filter mount than it is to find a sandwich plate with AN-12 fittings and keep the filter in the stock location. Though I think there are options available for both.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
If you do go for an air-to-oil cooler, use AN-12 lines, not AN-10, to prevent pressure drop. There are a couple of threads on it, and I'm pretty sure it's covered in the @Fabman build saga. From what I've gleaned, it's easier to find an adapter plate with AN-12 fittings and use an external filter mount than it is to find a sandwich plate with AN-12 fittings and keep the filter in the stock location. Though I think there are options available for both.
Thanks Dave, great advice. I am definitely planning on AN-12 line after reading through the various info sources here on TMO. The advantage of the sandwich plate for a car that also does (some) road duty is the thermostatic capability.

It seems the Setrab adapters with the M22 ports can do up to -12 lines as mentioned here here, though there is an interesting side note on the page for the billet version here that says "( *Please note: the 19-SP76 does not work with -12 or -16 AN adapters. It is not necessary or recommended to use these larger size lines on the pressure side of a wet-sump oiling circuit utilizing and intermediate size spin-on oil filter. )".

Have you logged your car to make sure you don't have any other issues??? Maybe you have some sensor issues and might be running lean?
No I haven't and great suggestion. I'll read up on logging via FORscan but could also get to a dyno for a health check.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We use large oil filters so there was not enough room at the original location. Had to do a relocation.

1692324677410.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors