The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Kiwi Track Rat's Boss 302 resurrection Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Quick visit to the frame shop yesterday, the whole floor on the left side was pushed back from the impact meaning the measuring system could only identify 1 good point to measure from thus not able to square the measuring system to the car.
It was decided to give it a pull and see, amazingly even just pulling on the crumpled strut tower the floor came out with it a good 20mm.
Tech doing the job was amazed how easily it all pulled out.
Now we have 4 good points underneath to work from the next thing is to pull the dash to have better access for repairing the floor and welding the new rails.
In light of the RH rail having a bow in it we've decided to completely replace both rails.IMG20210723130319.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Aside from the above John (Bad Influence) helped me go and pick up the parts from the shipper, amazingly (and thankfully) the windscreen was intact because the boxes of parts looked like they had been well abused along the way.

A bit of other man jewellery started arriving thanks to the team at Vorshlag :cool:
51331566300_5005c19319_z.jpg

I'm also going to order an MGW shifter but undecided on the standard or X-Spec - any thoughts or anyone have any real world experience? I have searched through the forum and can't find much to help compare them. I guess not many people get to try both! :)

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The Standard Race Spec with Standard handle is a 15% shorter throw than stock. That's what I got, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't find the stock shifter throw objectionable, and that's coming from 2 Miatas. Granted the Miatas have a shorter throw, but moving the cue ball on the Boss through the gates feels fine. The Race Spec with Low Profile handle is 19% shorter throw than stock - pretty indistinguishable from the X-Spec & Standard handle at 21%. Considering your location and shipping, you might want to get the Race Spec with a Standard handle and also a spare Low Profile handle, so you can swap them yourself and see which one you prefer. Pretty simple to swap handles, as seen in video.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Dash and heater out this morning, I suggested carrying on stripping it and parting it out but I got a funny look.
Easiest dash I've pulled in my life, can't remove the entire thing in one piece with any VW.
Certifier will make a visit today then both the old rails can be removed and the new stuff gets set in place.IMG20210726101706.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I emailed MGW since I was curious - you can get a separate low-profile shifter handle for the race spec shifter for $15 plus shipping. However, they said the factory shifter knob won't fit the low profile handle. Not sure why, maybe the person answering didn't realize the Boss has the cue ball knob. I did notice that the web site mentions a $2 grommet that's needed for some shifter boots.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
I emailed MGW since I was curious - you can get a separate low-profile shifter handle for the race spec shifter for $15 plus shipping. However, they said the factory shifter knob won't fit the low profile handle. Not sure why, maybe the person answering didn't realize the Boss has the cue ball knob. I did notice that the web site mentions a $2 grommet that's needed for some shifter boots.
Thanks Dave, that might be a good way to go, order the Race Spec but with both levers. I emailed MGW earlier to ask about air freight and they were very helpful, so I'll get that underway.

The AR oil balance hoses also arrived today. I had ordered a set for my car and for Johns Bad Influence GT350. Curtis at AR was really great to deal with and organized the TMO discount for us.
51338195771_9cae24786f_z.jpg

I have also been hunting around for an Exedy Hyper Single clutch. I was kind of hoping the p/n (I understand the one to get is EH06SD1) might cross over to a locally delivered car, like maybe a Ford Falcon V8, but no such luck. So I'll need to order one of those as well (If anyone has a recommendation on the best vendor let me know :))

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Great clutch. I had a problem finding mine in stock a while back, ended up getting it from LMPERFORMANCE.COM. For me, the regular racespec MGW is fine. Was actually looking for a longer handle/knob to reduce effort a little. Its one of the must have upgrades for the MT82.

A cooling setup for the tranny is also a worthy upgrade!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Great clutch. I had a problem finding mine in stock a while back, ended up getting it from LMPERFORMANCE.COM. For me, the regular racespec MGW is fine. Was actually looking for a longer handle/knob to reduce effort a little. Its one of the must have upgrades for the MT82.

A cooling setup for the tranny is also a worthy upgrade!
Thanks Mad Hatter, I'll check out LMPerformance for the clutch. I've got the trans cooler scoop on my car, we also only do approx 15 minute sessions and often with traffic we're not going 10/10ths all the time like when you are racing so I'm hoping I will be OK. My current thinking is do a shakedown day once the car is on the road and monitor everything then work on cooling after that as required.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Well parts keep arriving which is nice, I got the MGW shifter and phwooaaarrr it's quite a piece! I realize many people on here are familiar with them so probably not really all that exciting for you guys but (sad as it sounds) I really enjoyed unwrapping it and absorbing the details on the design and machine work. It's "man jewelry" at it's finest!
51429625340_8e39303fed.jpg

As for the car there's not a lot to update. We went into another Covid lockdown in mid August as New Zealand is still pursuing an elimination strategy until such time as the vaccination levels have reached 80% of the population. Unfortunately also our governments roll out of the vaccine was more of a "stroll out" so there is a long way to go - but that's a whole different story . However that meant the body shop is closed so I'm just waiting and trying to keep a lid on the excitement.

In the meantime I also tracked down and ordered an Exedy Hyper Single in Australia (they sold a lot of S550 Mustangs over there so one of the suppliers had 1 in stock). It was similarly priced to one from the US but it should save on the slightly crazy shipping costs I was getting quoted out of the US.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup the MGW shifter is a impressive part for sure. Bolt action shifting!! Oops I forgot you guys don't have any guns down there so maybe the analogy does not work! 😆

For a shipper, try to stay away from the usual criminal enterprises like DHL or Fedex. You need air fright company that uses the extra space on regular flights. Though air cargo rates have gone up about 25% in the last few months. I now pay US$4/kg.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
I don't know about Chile Mad Hatter but we get hammered at our end with all kinds of fees and even though the actual KG charge is dirt cheap the fees absolutely kill it. But then NZ is a rip off for pretty much everything anyway.
Freight rates have just gone mental (read huge rip off) from anywhere in the world except China and some non western destinations. Freight companies are not doing it tough that's for sure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
After 5 weeks of hard lockdown where nothing was able to be achieved we're now in a tiny bit softer lockdown for the last 2 weeks where almost nothing has been achieved, when we went down a level and the body shop re opened I asked the owner to put a tech on this full time to get the chassis work completed as we are on a time crunch of sorts to be able to make the track tour next year.
None of this disruption was at all his fault but thankfully he agreed and here we are, he called me this morning to ask me to drop off all the new parts I was storing here.
Anyways cut to the chase the body is now almost ready to have the new rails jigged up and welded back on.
The firewall has a doubler plate between it and the chassis rail that was also damaged on the LH side but the guys have repaired that in place, the upper rail at the pillar also had an additional inner plate that was also damaged, they removed that and repaired that also.
Up in that corner there's also a patch of rust that will need to be dealt with before the new upper rail gets welded back on.
The tech this morning laughingly said at least the pillar isn't damaged.........
thumbnail_IMG20211004090810.jpg

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
After 5 weeks of hard lockdown where nothing was able to be achieved we're now in a tiny bit softer lockdown for the last 2 weeks where almost nothing has been achieved, when we went down a level and the body shop re opened I asked the owner to put a tech on this full time to get the chassis work completed as we are on a time crunch of sorts to be able to make the track tour next year.
None of this disruption was at all his fault but thankfully he agreed and here we are, he called me this morning to ask me to drop off all the new parts I was storing here.
Anyways cut to the chase the body is now almost ready to have the new rails jigged up and welded back on.
The firewall has a doubler plate between it and the chassis rail that was also damaged on the LH side but the guys have repaired that in place, the upper rail at the pillar also had an additional inner plate that was also damaged, they removed that and repaired that also.
Up in that corner there's also a patch of rust that will need to be dealt with before the new upper rail gets welded back on.
The tech this morning laughingly said at least the pillar isn't damaged.........
View attachment 69166
Keep your chin up!! It will be all worth it once you get the car started and go for a drive. the smile pero mile (km) is extraordinary on these cars.

View attachment 69166
There's a reason for that, the front "crush structure" did it's job and saved the passenger compartment, FWIW I've seen worse cars on the frame jig at Phoenix being repaired, exactly as you are doing. Great job BTW!.
I hope all is well "down Under" ( or maybe NZ is down under and to the right, or something), I understand your government is sort of acting a bit draconian these days.
I had a friend that bought a wrecked 69 Gt350 and moved all the parts to his 69GT. Since it wasn't an actual Shelby GT350 anymore, he needn't worry about keeping it original. It is currently getting a 408 stroker, and a Tremec 6 speed along with a Detroit Speed suspension, it's actually a better Shelby than Shelby made.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
There's a reason for that, the front "crush structure" did it's job and saved the passenger compartment, FWIW I've seen worse cars on the frame jig at Phoenix being repaired, exactly as you are doing. Great job BTW!.
I hope all is well "down Under" ( or maybe NZ is down under and to the right, or something), I understand your government is sort of acting a bit draconian these days.
I'm just glad we're able to get back to doing some work, putting a whole front clip on would have been a lot easier but unfortunately not allowed here by the nanny state.
A "bit" draconian is being quite kind I think.
There are multiple reasons for that but the main one is incompetence from a leader with no experience.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Mad Hatter and bs-1 for the kind words and support and obviously a big thanks to Bad Influence for posting the updates and his efforts in managing and pushing the project forward.

I'm stuck at home waiting for a few more parts. The main things are a couple of items to enable the new clutch (which arrived from Aussie a few weeks ago) to be installed while everything is out. Then engine and trans can be reinstalled when the car is back at Bad Influence's shop.

I'm getting really excited to get this car on the road, it's going to be so much fun!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
The body shop owner called yesterday asking for the fenders and the hood to help with alignment of the front end, they have an over head measuring system but its so wobbly by design you can pretty much make it read anything you want making it almost useless.
The chassis rails are located by the under body measuring system and double checked by cross measuring and sub frame bolted in place.
With the upper rail and core support the plan is to go back to basic panel beating and use trammel bars to ensure things are square while using the hood and fenders to gap the front end, this in turn will also tell you where the core support needs to be, a process I prefer as measurements alone often don't tell the full story.
A step most body shops miss but these guys are on to doing it the right way, great job so far. A big bad BOSS coming back to life.thumbnail_IMG20211007082139.jpgthumbnail_IMG20211007082145.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Could someone please measure their S197, we are after some measurements from the firewall to the core support. Perhaps from the firewall to the radiator bracket holes on either side. Something along those lines.
Currently the core support can be placed towards the firewall or away from it by a margin affecting how the headlights will sit in relation to the bumper cover if that makes sense.

TMO Supporting Vendors