The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Kiwi Track Rat's Boss 302 resurrection Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
You gotta love things made simple, came to the plethora of warning lights on and first off thought I'll check all the fuses due to the crash cutting a bunch of wires while powered up.
Sure enough, a 10A, 30A and 5A blown. Those replaced everything went out apart from the airbag light as the module still needs to be set up.
Just trying to figure out if Forscan can do that as I'm new to it.
IMG20211105132041.jpg

To get back to the clutch for a moment, how did you end up bleeding that? down under the car, or did you run a braided line up someplace where you could find it? FWIW, I don't see why you couldn't do the rubber stopper trick on any master cylinder.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Quick update on the car. I headed over to John's shop this morning as the car is pretty much done for this stage. It is looking really, really good. I am getting really excited now - the finish line is definitely in sight!! Here's a couple of pictures.

51658707590_52e97e3daf_c.jpg51658707585_2780d3cd0e_c.jpg [/url]51658510244_6bb068dde8_c.jpg

I absolutely love the car, the only thing that I'm not a fan of is the ride height. I'm not sure how long I can live with that. I'm not intending to lower it much, just enough to kill the arch gap a bit so thinking Ford Performance M-5300-T springs.

So next week the plan is fettle few minor things then back to the body shop for the paint. In the meantime I need to order some of the missing connectors + pigtails so we can fix the side marker light, VCT solenoid connector and a few others items. I also need the bottom section of the air cleaner box, as it appears you have to order the whole air cleaner assembly if you buy one new I need to jump on Ebay or if anyone has a stock air cleaner box they want to sell let me let me know. I also need some horns which I'll have to track down somewhere.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
The car is back from paint, just waiting on the front bumper. Bad Influence has been getting a few parts back on but we are still waiting for some parts to arrive from the US to fix the last couple of things before it can be "finished" (are cars ever really finished? :p)

A quick progress pic below
51697161598_c5e3e7bf85_c.jpg

One thing we have found that we need some help with is the LED bars in the replacement (left side) headlight (which was a used light) don't come in in the same sequence as the right hand light. The DRL bars on the left light only light up when the lights and IGN are on, where the right hand light DRL bars are on all the time. I was wondering if there is different coding within the lights that might need to be done to resolve this - does anyone know? TIA.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
The car is back from paint, just waiting on the front bumper. Bad Influence has been getting a few parts back on but we are still waiting for some parts to arrive from the US to fix the last couple of things before it can be "finished" (are cars ever really finished? :p)

A quick progress pic below
View attachment 70361

One thing we have found that we need some help with is the LED bars in the replacement (left side) headlight (which was a used light) don't come in in the same sequence as the right hand light. The DRL bars on the left light only light up when the lights and IGN are on, where the right hand light DRL bars are on all the time. I was wondering if there is different coding within the lights that might need to be done to resolve this - does anyone know? TIA.
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer regarding the headlights, but just wanted to re-iterate how much I have enjoyed and appreciate watching this car come back to life. Excellent work to to everyone involved!

I'm guessing the Boss stripes will be one of the last touches to go back on the car?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer regarding the headlights, but just wanted to re-iterate how much I have enjoyed and appreciate watching this car come back to life. Excellent work to to everyone involved!

I'm guessing the Boss stripes will be one of the last touches to go back on the car?

Thank you for that, really appreciate the support. It's been a quite a journey but we are getting there mainly thanks to Bad Influence hard work and wider management of the project. Yep, the stripes will go back on as well, probably in the new year when we are through all the other hurdles.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
At the high cost of the stripes you may find it easier to find a talented vinyl shop to replicate them. The other option would be to contact the SouthFloridaFordParts ( TMO Sponsor ) and see what they could do to help you. I would tell them to check out your thread, link the Forum for them to see all the interest and let them know they would be a big part of the build. Who knows they may help you out? The other option is to do the same thing with the Dealer I think you have done some work with on the West Coast of the US. Good luck and I am also wondering about the used lights if one could be Canadian and one from the US, because I am not sure a US headlight would have to be on if the car was just running -- daytime running lights are not required in the United States.

Last edited:
This guy out in Iowa, guy I spoke with was John, makes stripes for the 69/70 Boss and the 12/13 as well.

I never bought the set from him but he says he can get the exact 3M material etc. He also has the templates for the car on file in his computer.

Just another option since stripes will be expensive/hard to source.

Auto Graphics Plus
827 N. West St., Carroll, Iowa 51401
712-792-0352

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
He ( John ) is only about 50 miles from me, I may have to get in contact with him for any future help. Another contact may be DaveW , owner of Solo Performance Specialties ( solo performance.com ) as he does numbers and a lot more on vinyl and he may be able to help. I have used items from him over the years and he is super well known in the Racing and Autocross Community.

Not sure if you already purchased the decals and had them shipped over, or if you want to go the route of getting them from another vendor as noted above, but I wanted to include all the part numbers for them just in case you needed the reference. The price really does lead you to sticker shock ;)

Boss 302 Decals, 2013 Specification, in Black
1637678716338.png
Hood Stripe Front Grille Top DR3Z-6320000-AAM (<20000A in above diagram)
Hood Stripe Upper Outer, Left DR3Z-6320001-BK (<20000B in above diagram, I believe 'Left' means 'Driver' in the same way the 'L' cylinder head is the driver's side)
Hood Stripe Upper Outer, Right DR3Z-6320000-BF (mirror of <20000B in above diagram)
Hood Stripe Upper Center DR3Z-6320000-AAN (<20000C in above diagram)
Driver Front Fender DR3Z-6320001-AAN (<20000D in above diagram)
Passenger Front Fender DR3Z-6320000-AAQ (mirror of <20000D in above diagram)
Driver Door Stripe Decal DR3Z-6320001-CK (<20000E in above diagram - yellow squares)
Passenger Door Stripe Decal DR3Z-6320000-CD (mirror of <20000E in above diagram - yellow squares)
Driver Lower Rear Quarter Stripe DR3Z-6320001-AAQ (<20000F in above diagram)
Passenger Lower Rear Quarter Stripe DR3Z-6320000-AAS (mirror of <20000F in above diagram)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I got my last set of decals from promotorstripes.com. Much cheaper then OEM and could not tell them apart. then again, its hart to see both sides at the same time. Think my side strips were about US$55 for both sides. You can go oem style or any way you want.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
One of the last things remaining on the list is the missing brake duct for the bumper, either lost or destroyed in the crash we hadn't been able to find one and wasn't going to waste loads of time trying to track one down as it's a pretty basic piece for me to make so here goes.
Tape on the one we have to create a pattern for the mounting plate and transfer that to sheet metal.
IMG20211124091811.jpgIMG20211124092602.jpg
Then roll a strip of sheet metal in to a pipe shape, weld it together and bead roll an edge on it to secure the hose.
At the opposite end I had to flare the pipe out by hand to suit the opening in the plate, pipe then gets tack welded in place.
Coat of black and installed on the bumper - job done.
IMG20211124131727.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors