The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Kiwi Track Rat's Boss 302 resurrection Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice on the stripes and thanks mwjscn for the part numbers. I had seen the OEM ones were crazy expensive but I really appreciate the input on other options. The sticker pack on my car was the dark silver type colour to match the spoiler on the boot. I understand that is the LS color option. Gunmetal sounds good though, especially if it matched the Apex wheels color. ;)

Here's a pick from late today that John just sent me - getting very, very close now. :D

51701909759_0e5dacf192_c.jpg

Here are the details for the Laguna Seca 2013 gray decal package if you go with OEM. Ironically it's probably less expensive than the regular Boss 302 pattern, since the Laguna Seca decal kit doesn't have the two hockey-stick stripes on the hood that flank the central one.

Boss 302 Decals, 2013 Laguna Seca Specification, in Metallic Grey
Hood Stripe Front Grille Top DR3Z-6320000-BH
Hood Stripe Upper Center DR3Z-6320000-BG
Driver Front Fender DR3Z-6320001-AAM
Passenger Front Fender DR3Z-6320000-AAP
Driver Door Stripe Decal DR3Z-6320001-CJ
Passenger Door Stripe Decal DR3Z-6320000-CC
Driver Lower Rear Quarter Stripe DR3Z-6320001-AAP
Passenger Lower Rear Quarter Stripe DR3Z-6320000-AAR

Excited to see more of the build!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Thanks mwjscn, never actually realized that the 13 Boss had the hockey stripes on the hood and the LS doesn't. Always learning something.
I'm just about ready to start dealing with bureaucracy and paperwork to get this past our compliance system and sign off from the certifier.
Just waiting for the glazier today to install the windshield and then take it to compliance tomorrow, there's a few parts from the US still to arrive that will need to be fitted before it can be signed off but those are all minor things.
Coded the new RCM this morning so the console is back in as well.
IMG20211125094810.jpg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Yeah, but your gallon is larger than ours. ;) Just for giggles, I did a conversion - $7.50 NZD per Imperial Gal. is roughly $4.30 USD per U.S. Gallon. So it's higher than we're paying here in the states for "premium" (91-93 avg. of RON & MON, or 95-98 RON), but not by a huge amount - probably 50 cents USD / US Gal more.

Anyway, car looks great and it's nice to see it back on the road. Big achievement. 🥳

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Guzzle guzzle, at 7.50 / Gallon is the price you gotta pay to play.
First 20 mile or so drive to compliance this morning. All seems well and no issues to speak of.
Let's see what the authorities say, already know it will fail for the fact it has no horn and one side light non op but those are coming from the US.
View attachment 70416

haha Dave_W I wish but no, that's USD 7.50 for a US Gallon. Should have mentioned I'd converted that already. Here in NZ$ its nearly 3.00 per liter.
Nothing here is "cheap"

Wow...I'll never complain about the price of fuel at the local track ever again 😬 ($5.50/gallon for 93 octane or something like that last time I bothered to look). Filled up today at the local station for $3.45/gallon

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Correct, I always laugh when I hear Americans complain about gas prices. :cool:
A few years back I worked a project in Africa. The fuels guy for the UN was from Sweden. We got to talking about fuel costs. He said he paid about $8.00 a gallon for fuel. I had to correct him. He was paying almost the exact price for the “Fuel”. The remainder was for taxation. He agreed and asked What Premium was placed on automatic transmissions In the US. Kind of confusing so I asked what he meant by “Premium”. The premium was also a tax on autos because the government determined folks should be shifting.
When folks say we need to be more like Europe, I’m not convinced.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Absolutely correct TMS, the difference in the World is often just taxation and those of us in the US of A have some of the lowest taxes around. We can't compete with the price in some parts of the Middle East, but often, here, the price of fuel is also based on competition. Nebraska has some of the very highest taxes in America , but it seems there is a gas station/convenience store or two on every corner. With the intense competition, even with our high fuel taxes, we are always below the national average. Filled up the truck the day before Thanksgiving at 2.88 a gallon.

FilNZ --- starting to get excited????? Heck I am amazed you can even sleep at night, ha!! I know there is a group of TMO members reading daily on how things progress as it is an " Exciting " read for all of us. I look forward to checking on " Bad's " process each day and once the SBY Boss LS is done we are demanding he change his name to " GoodInfluence," hehe!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Yep close to about half the cost of a liter of gas here is TAX of some sort but what ever way you twist it, its still 3 bucks a liter out of my pocket.
When I did a big road trip coast to coast in 2016 (Cali to NY) in the GT500 I'd bought I was putting gas in every day and marveled how
good you guys have it being so cheap. Totally affordable to drive a V8 every day.
Anyway, got the call yesterday from compliance that we could collect it. All good to go apart from the repair certificate so what happens now is we wait for
those last couple parts then get the certifier to sign off on the structural repair and she gets plates issued.
When we collected the car from compliance yesterday I suggested Filx drive it as he's never driven it before so he'll probably chime in on that experience.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
When was the last time you did something for the first time? Well, yesterday evening for me as it happens when I drove a Mustang for the first time EVER! I know for most of this forum that might not be such a watershed moment but it felt incredibly good after this long journey that started mid January this year. It was only a quick run around the block before handing it back to Bad Influence to take back to his shop but man I can't WAIT to get this thing on track and start on that learning curve! Going to be heaps of fun! :cool:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
Check this out, she's registered boys!!
This is what trust and good working relationships is all about. Even though we are still waiting for parts to arrive both the entry certifier and repair certifier were able to sign off on it allowing registration to happen.
Both these guys I've dealt with for some time and they know the job will be completed how it should be.
The great part is Filx will be able to use it legally while we wait for the other bits to arrive.
IMG20211202071424.jpgIMG20211202071440.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
I cannot believe this is the same car we saw in January. Well done guys. I cannot wait to see some video of this thing tearing around!

How does the driving feel at this stage? Need any tweaks or fine tuning otherwise?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you end up needing a new rack and will be tracking the car with sticky tires, check out the Ford Performance 302R rack - it's programmed for race tires. It also cures the "nibble" issue on earlier cars with replacement stiffer lower A-arm bushings, but I think by 2013 that was sorted out on the stock rack.

TMO Supporting Vendors