The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kohr brake kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like the radial mount. Way easier removing the caliper and swapping rotors.

Is it worth the money? I have the factory brembos currently, and didn't know if these would brake better or is there is any real track advantage?

Good pads and ducts go a long way on the s197 Brembos. For weight, like Rick said two piece rotors are available.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The main advantage to stock there is 2-piece floating rotor. Radial mount is a bonus.
You may want to look into some of the newer stuff available now to retrofit 2015 15" performance pack brembos to your car; the price is probably similar to that kit. I'm not sure Tim Hillard's username on here but Optimum Performance is assembling and distributing these kits. Biggest deal is wheel clearance--SOME 18s will clear (Apex, for example) but most won't. Do your research up front!

@captdistraction

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Concur with the above.

That Kohr kit is awesome in pricing for a monoblock caliper on a radial mount and 14" rotors, but the advantages it offers over the S197 Brembo setup isn't going to be earth shattering if both systems are loaded with the same pads.

The Kohr kit will be more stiff, less likely to knockback pads, and wear somewhat better, but both should offer about the same stopping performance.

As Drew mentioned, @OPMustang Tim offers the 15+ Performance Pack Brembo kits in a similar price range, which is a monoblock caliper with a 380mm rotor. That system is larger and will offer more performance from its larger pads, rotor, and the one drawback will be its a direct mount and not radial mount, but I don't really see that as something that's a deal breaker (as the spindle is cast for a direct mount, even the radial mount kits mount via an adapter, negating many of the advantages of a truly radial mount setup like on the GT350 where the spindle is set up out of the box for it). Wheels are definitely a challenge, but I'll have a thread soon on what works/what doesn't and performance data.

Otherwise a good pad, good fluid, good rotors, and brake cooling ducts and the OEM brembos on S197 are surprisingly effective.

I like the radial mount. Way easier removing the caliper and swapping rotors.

Rick, I've heard you mention this a few times in the past. What makes a radial easier to get on and off compared to oem-style mounts? I didn't notice much when dealing with Stoptechs. I'm probably doing something wrong...

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
radial mount you just remove two nuts (sometimes bolts) that are on the top of the caliper, and the caliper slides off the studs built into the radial mount, versus pulling two bolts from behind the caliper on direct mounts. Most racing calipers are this way, and its certainly easier to a degree.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
radial mount you just remove two nuts (sometimes bolts) that are on the top of the caliper, and the caliper slides off the studs built into the radial mount, versus pulling two bolts from behind the caliper on direct mounts. Most racing calipers are this way, and its certainly easier to a degree.

Also much less risk of cross-threading something w/ the radial mount.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel