The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

KohR Motorsports is at Daytona competing in IMPC GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it me or do they spend WAY too much time focusing on LMP? I have little interest in LMP. I can’t drive one. I can’t build one. I can’t buy one. I can’t even buy a car that it’s homlogated on.

Show more GTD and GTLM.

That, and the focus on all the nascar drivers. There was so much other talent out there, that only got a quick mention, if they did get a mention.

They pump that up, I think for 2 reasons, the classes are very confusing to casual fans, so they follow the leader, and it gives the casual fan someone they may have heard of, remember IMSA is NASCAR these days

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Is it me or do they spend WAY too much time focusing on LMP? I have little interest in LMP. I can’t drive one. I can’t build one. I can’t buy one. I can’t even buy a car that it’s homlogated on.

Show more GTD and GTLM.
I think since they view it as their top tier product in the series they request that there be more televised focus on it. I was getting a little bored with the long stints of heavy prototype focus when I was watching it. Would have rather had more coverage of the GT battles and hearing stories about those teams/drivers. I know ALMS did that too though. It would be cost prohibitive I know, but imagine if they had a separate broadcast for GT and prototypes. That would be cool.

I agree, I don't know anyone who really cares about prototypes. Its a stupid race car to me..
And the GTD/GTLM is too hard to discern. I was there, know the cars, and still constantly had to use the spotters guide to figure out WTF was who. The LEDs were of little use as you could not read them, the headlight thing barely helped and the colors on the spoilers were basically useless.
I really do not understand who IMSA is trying to target for an audience because I'm pretty sure its not me. And yes the BOP was WAY, WAY the hell off. The McClarin was just so overpowered it was ridiculous and literally could have run in the GTLM with the C8s as those were fixed to win anyway. No way the Vette only had 550hp on tap, the way they would pull on the straights and make up almost a position per lap was ludicrous.

And the GTD/GTLM is too hard to discern. I was there, know the cars, and still constantly had to use the spotters guide to figure out WTF was who. The LEDs were of little use as you could not read them, the headlight thing barely helped and the colors on the spoilers were basically useless.
I really do not understand who IMSA is trying to target for an audience because I'm pretty sure its not me. And yes the BOP was WAY, WAY the hell off. The McClarin was just so overpowered it was ridiculous and literally could have run in the GTLM with the C8s as those were fixed to win anyway. No way the Vette only had 550hp on tap, the way they would pull on the straights and make up almost a position per lap was ludicrous.

Dude....!
I work in the series and I'm not sure I have the classes figured out.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My take is that BOP is used to get each manufacturer a win or two so they've got something to advertise in return for their investment in building cars for the series. But too often it seems to go off the rails. One could be forgiven if they thought this was just a big show, the winner being pre-ordained by BOP.

How is a McLaren that costs a couple hundred thousand bucks even running in the same class as a Mustang or Camaro that starts around $30K? I know how race cars are built, been in this game since the late 80s, but when you start with a platform for a $200K car you have inherent design and build advantages that a $30K production car does not have. McLaren seems to have been heavily blessed last year and it seems this year so far is no different. This to me is the biggest problem with the SRO style GTx/TCR classes, to damn easy to designate a winner.

When I raced many years ago I once got asked if I "made the show" after qualifying for a support race at the Montreal GP. Back then we actually had more cars than the track could support so you did indeed need to make the "show". I think the "show" then was quite different than the "show" now.....

IMSA can’t figure out the fact they could grow their fan base by make crap simpler and understandable instead of all the confusing classes and rules. Why do you think NASCAR is way more popular? It’s understandable, simple and gives people a brand and driver to route for.
LMP is ridiculous to me. It’s like watching space ships race around. They mean nothing to me and have no relationship to anything of interest to me.
GTD and GTLM are homlogated machines I can relate to and identifiable brands you route for.

My take is that BOP is used to get each manufacturer a win or two so they've got something to advertise in return for their investment in building cars for the series. But too often it seems to go off the rails. One could be forgiven if they thought this was just a big show, the winner being pre-ordained by BOP.

How is a McLaren that costs a couple hundred thousand bucks even running in the same class as a Mustang or Camaro that starts around $30K? I know how race cars are built, been in this game since the late 80s, but when you start with a platform for a $200K car you have inherent design and build advantages that a $30K production car does not have. McLaren seems to have been heavily blessed last year and it seems this year so far is no different. This to me is the biggest problem with the SRO style GTx/TCR classes, to damn easy to designate a winner.

When I raced many years ago I once got asked if I "made the show" after qualifying for a support race at the Montreal GP. Back then we actually had more cars than the track could support so you did indeed need to make the "show". I think the "show" then was quite different than the "show" now.....

A lot of truth to this. 2016 LeMans. BOP rules manipulation and homlogation waiver for Ford GT 50th year return to LeMans. Hmmm. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors