The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kona Blue Boss 302 #1049 Ready for Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's some photos.

On the showroom floor with the sales manager explaining to me how SYNC works. I let him go about two minutes before I told him it doesn't have SYNC. ;D

P1020347.jpg

At home in my garage

P1020358.jpg

Me with my new toy

P1020381.jpg
P1020380.jpg
P1020376.jpg

Goodies for my Boss

P1020364.jpg
P1020366.jpg
P1020371.jpg
P1020369.jpg

Wheels going on tomorrow morning

P1020367.jpg
P1020368.jpg

Driving impressions. I like high revving motors and I hit the rev limiter several times today. Did I mention I like high revving motors? ;D I have test driven several Mustang 5 DOT 0's including a Stage 2 Roush so I knew what to expect from the motor. Or at least I thought I did. Man this thing just pulls and pulls. Once over 4 grand in first and second the rev limiter hits very quickly. I took the family for a drive up a canyon road this evening and just left it in third. The car has plenty of torque down low to lug it down to about two grand and still pull strongly. I only got a chance to hang it out in corners a couple of times and the car just goes where you point it with no fuss.

As for the shifting I had no problems with any gears except sixth on the FWY. A couple of times it just didn't want to go into gear. It really wanted to drop back down into fourth but as long as I remembered to push on it a bit I was fine. I like to use a light touch when shifting and doing so resulted in smooth shifts even at redline going from first to second and second to third. No redline shifts from third to fourth today. :eek: I did hit ship shift once when I was leaving an intersection with a Crown Vic with a police interceptor white roof across the way so I took it very easy. I'll need to disable skip shift quickly. it's been a while but I don't think the Boss shifts as smooth as the 1993 300ZX TT I owned but I'm very happy with it so far.

I had the dealer install the 1/2" discs from Scott and it sounds terrific. The sales manager said the mechanic that installed them was surprised how much of a difference it made from the stock size. My wife commented several times how cool the car sounds so maybe she'll be ok with louder mufflers. She said it sounds like the race cars we heard at Laguna Seca last weekend just not as loud.

I love the seats and they fit me well with lots of support. Overall the interior is comfortable. One issue I have is my right knee hits the key when I apply the brakes. I'll have to play around the the seat position more tomorrow to see if I can minimize that contact. My only complaint about the car is the less than fantastic looking plastic on the doors, console and back seat area. It would have been nice if Ford had used a material more similar to the dash. I knew that before hand and I won't mention it again. The only thing I wish the car had is SYNC. I know I know I don't get the intended purpose of the car. But beyond that I use my cell phone a lot and SYNC is one of, if not the best, bluetooth systems out there. Time for a new ear bud I guess.

Tomorrow morning I'm having my SVT PP wheels installed. Wed I drop it off for a clear bra installation and Saturday the windows get tinted. I dropped off my LS wing for painting today and hope to have it installed next Sunday. More to come.

Congrats Rick! It's been a long time coming! I'm extremely interested to see pics of your new wing. I don't have the financial situation to get new wheels, so I'm going to have to ignore those pictures when you post them so I don't get tempted to put myself more in debt haha :) But the white wing is definitely something I would think about doing depending on how she looks

302BOB said:
Hey 5 DOT 0, Was your car's performance more or less than you expected or did you have a handle on it all along?
It's better than I expected and rides similar to the Roush Stage 2 I drove but that was almost a year ago so who knows. I have test driven six 5.0's so I had a good sense of how fast the could be. I was very impressed with the new Coyote engine and I knew after my first test drive a year ago that a new Mustang was in my future.

The car exceeds my expectations and the acceleration is what I hoped for. This car was built for the track, something I have little experience with, but others have already commented on it's capability. I hope to get some track experience soon. I've raced karts and motorcycles (novice level) and have owned several high performance sports cars but it's been a few years since I've owned a real performance car. Like most of you I enjoy pushing a car and driving fast and enjoy the G forces you get from doing so. So far the Boss delivers.

A couple of times yesterday I took the car to redline in first and caught second perfectly and to redline again. I thought to myself sh!t, this thing is fast. I had a grin on my face so large I thought my head was going to split in two. 8) Are we supposed to break-in these engines?

Thanks everyone. I'm off in a bit to get the new wheels installed, photos to follow.

Nccstud said:
Congrats Rick! It's been a long time coming! I'm extremely interested to see pics of your new wing. I don't have the financial situation to get new wheels, so I'm going to have to ignore those pictures when you post them so I don't get tempted to put myself more in debt haha :) But the white wing is definitely something I would think about doing depending on how she looks
The wing is getting painted and I should have it back late next week. A friend is coming over next Sunday to help me install it and I'll post photos when it's on. Jason may have his Steeda Street wing installed before me and he's painting his white.

The car looks awesome. I love the kona blue!! Have fun!!

I put my boss302s wheels on mine, which I'm using for track days with the hankook v12 evo tires, I'll post a pic later today.

The tires performed ok on the track but they did seem too be a lot slipperier compared to the stock tires, but they only had about 200 miles on them and it was a different track which had some elevation changes so that could also make it feel different

Overall no real issues though.

5 DOT 0 said:
One issue I have is my right knee hits the key when I apply the brakes. I'll have to play around the the seat position more tomorrow to see if I can minimize that contact.

Congrats! Glad you got your car. I can't wait to see it with wheels on.

For me, pulling the seat close enough to make clutching easy makes it a tight fit unfer the wheel. It felt funny at first, too many years sitting back and driving trucks and SUV's with automatics, like sitting on the living room couch. Now I am getting used to that tight cockpit feel. What I did just do today was pull all extra keys off the keyring for the Boss because they hit my leg.

Congrats! Those rims look much better then I could have even imagined. but don't you think you could have let it alone for at least 24 hours, lol ... enjoy.

Same here with the key, now you see why I like the non-flop key and was trying to find out if I could use one for a red key setup. You will get use to it in time and hit it less, I did.

2012YellowBoss said:
Congrats! Those rims look much better then I could have even imagined. but don't you think you could have let it alone for at least 24 hours, lol ... enjoy.

Same here with the key, now you see why I like the non-flop key and was trying to find out if I could use one for a red key setup. You will get use to it in time and hit it less, I did.
LOL Well I'm not going to replace the rear spoiler for another week so it will all balance out.

Ah those questions now make sense. Got a link to the keys you purchased?

TMO Supporting Vendors