The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Koni Yellows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Koni-Strut-Shock-Package-2011-2014-Mustang-Single-Adjustable-P1454.aspx

Are these what most of the track guys are running? I track my car and I think it's about time I upgraded. I know I'm overwhelming the stock dampers with the Eibach Sportline Springs and my tire/brake setup. With the sale going on they are listed at $200 dollars off the normal price. $625 for the set. Let me know what you guys think.

Adam

It's what I run with my lowered boss Steeda springs and I like them a lot. I ran the stock dampers for almost 2 years before I switched and these make a nice improvement and the adjustments are perfect. Recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tulsa, OK
I run them as well. Same as Moto, I ran stock dampers for two years and these are a great upgrade. Yes there are better options out there if you want to spend the coin on a nice coil over setup but for the money you can't beat the koni yellows. I run them with HR race springs.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I just installed the Koni Sports, (Yellows), in July 2014. I ran the Boss "T" springs with the OEM dampeners for a year and found the rear springs were just too much for the stockers. After installing the Yellows, the Boss responds much better going in and coming out of corners.

With my set up, the Boss is more controllable in an oversteer condition, It now straightens up coming out with throttle. Which is probably due more to the new differential bushings, and adjustable UCA I used to re-adjust the rear axle. I moved the axle back, to re-center it in the rear wheel well, which gave me more play in the AE DS slip joint.

But the Koni's do a much better job of keeping the rear differential planted using the stiffer T rear springs.

Next is what setting are you going to use? Currently I'm running 1-1/4 turns to stiff front and 1.0 turns in the rear. I will start a thread on Koni - Best Street and Competition Settings.

OBTW, good price on the Koni's, you're going to like the results.

All the best, and good luck on your install.
Hi Pro

drano38

Wayne
I've had the Koni Yellow's on my Boss for a little over a year and like them as well. They're paired with Steeda Sport springs and a Whiteline Watts link.
I don't change them for street--just accept the firmer ride--and the Boss isn't seeing much street time this summer.
Body roll and brake dive are much better with the Koni's and Steeda springs.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I agree with Wayne, Konis have excellent control over brake dive and roll stability and don't really kill ride quality.
I have 3 full turns on the struts and 2 1/2 turns on the shocks. For track use I am running 2 1/2 turn firm front and 2 turns firm rear. Seem like good setting for me.
Steve

I am not so sure how these shocks work so good? Wouldn't you want the compression stroke the one being adjustable? I would think if you put these shocks on full firm, the rebound stroke could eventually get to a point where it is bottomed out in bumpy conditions. In other words, if you keep hitting bumps that compress the shock but the rebound does not let it extend to full length before it hits another bump, eventually you would have no stroke left in the shock. It would be bottomed out. So again, wouldn't you want the compression stroke the one being adjustable?

06mach1 said:
I am not so sure how these shocks work so good? Wouldn't you want the compression stroke the one being adjustable? I would think if you put these shocks on full firm, the rebound stroke could eventually get to a point where it is bottomed out in bumpy conditions. In other words, if you keep hitting bumps that compress the shock but the rebound does not let it extend to full length before it hits another bump, eventually you would have no stroke left in the shock. It would be bottomed out. So again, wouldn't you want the compression stroke the one being adjustable?

I had the same concern, but that is probably why most seem to go full soft on the street. Even at full rebound damping, how long does it take to come back to ride height with say two inches of compression? Probably measured in a few tenths of a second? I am not sure if a track would be that bad, except for the rumble strips.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Flyboygsxr said:
I'm gonna get them…$57 for shipping, seems a little steep.

Free shipping at TireRack right now for $628/set. The sale is from Koni and they do it every year. Luckily, this year it got extended a few months.

I posted up about MM because of the upcoming Deal of the Day that they're doing again.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
06mach1 said:

Mike
The compression and rebound curves are pretty close and both are affected by the adjuster, I think Vorsclag has a chart of the Yellow struts that confirms this. The rebound has to control the energy of a compressed spring, therefore it is in a higher load condition than a spring at normal ride height. It will rebound much faster than that video shows. The Konis are pretty good for the Mustang but a custom valves damper that is also adjustable will of course be better, tuning for the car weight and distribution, tire rate, spring rate is the difference between a $300 strut and a $2000 coilover.

Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes indeed, so all in all the Koni Sports at $609 - $625 is a good value. If I had the time to Race every or every other weekend, I would go with coil overs as well. I like KW V3, or Club Sports with HR Race Springs.

Hi Pro

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Grant,

I just ordered a set of Koni Yellows as you did. Pulled them out of the box today to make sure nothing was damaged and that everything was good to go. I checked the fronts and they compress and rebound completely on their own but the rears were a different story. The rear strut only rebounds a few inches and then stops. In fact, even though the rears are both set on full soft they rebound at different rates? There is no damage to the damper, no fluid is leaking so I'm not sure what's up? Will you give yours a try and see if the rears rebound completely or if they stop and if the rate at which they rebound is symmetrical between the two. Thanks in advance

Adam

TMO Supporting Vendors