The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Konig Ultraform 18's fit S550 PP1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last night the following wheels were test fitted on my 2018 PP1:

18"x10.5"x25mm offset Konig Ultraform's with 315/30-18 Hoosier drag radials fit over the front calipers with about 1/16" clearance in the corners (lots of clearance over the rears). There's about 3/8" tire clearance from the front strut, and 3/4" clearance from the rear shock. Front and rear, they stick under the fender lips, but are so short that contact is unlikely. At only 21Lbs and $200 each, they're an attractive lightweight.

IMO 1/16” or less than 2mm is not enough clearance. You’ll want a minimum of 4mm clearance and 6+ is even better. You’ll get rocks and tire rubber stuck between the caliper and barrel and make a mess at a minimum. I found an easy way to check clearance is to use an Allen wrench and see if you can slide it between the caliper and barrel.

Thanks for your concern. It's possible there is no such thing as low cost lightweights. Guess I'll look for some PP2 new take offs.....

Thanks for your concern. It's possible there is no such thing as low cost lightweights. Guess I'll look for some PP2 new take offs.....

Apex is solid, forgestar, team dynamics, are available in 18x10 and clear.

Apex and forgestar can be had in 18x11.

forgestar in 18x12/13 etc also

While what VoodoBoss said isn't wrong, rocks can get stuck between caliper and barrel on low clearance wheels, the "acceptable clearance" is personal preference.

IMO, it's the offset that makes them undesirable, not the clearance.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
APEX is probably the best option out there right now that balances brake and suspension fitment, width, and cost. I have two sets arriving today, myself.

Stupid Question. Why 18x11 and not 19?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

A reasonable question: Gearing changes in the new M82-D4 (1:1 is 4th) make 2nd a little stiff for AX (1:1 in the M82 is 5th). Shorter tires move the revs into the torque band.

Thank you!

19 should clean better right?
I'm going to install(once i get the car. ) apex 19x11.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

There is/should be more brake clearance with 19's, but is totally dependent on wheel design. Not all 19's will fit (as pointed out elsewhere in this thread). Barrel diameter, spider shape, and offset are critical to be certain tires/wheels don't rub brakes or suspension. Wheel manufacturers will/should know fitment requirements.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel