The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kook's Header & Exhaust - Gain 35HP; 40TQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nota4re said:
Now, since that time, we have completed the Kook's install on my LS - WITH CATs, and we have dyno'd again to show the results. (Perhaps a moderator can help me to post those graphs??) Even with CATs, we have VERY good gains across the whole RPM range.
Kendall just use the IMG widget and link to the image on the other forum.

l-tech-kooks-vs-stock-dyno-results-stock2kookshptq.jpg
ool-tech-kooks-vs-stock-dyno-results-stock2kooksaf.jpg

nota4re said:
I think the one he used had cats. He would have needed a tuner if he used the off road H.

95blitz - We would have thought that a tune would be needed too - but we have proven, more than once now, that the OEM wideband-equipped ECU is compensating for the exhaust - and doing so very well. Our A/F's are even richer than stock in the rpm range from 4500 up! Pretty cool!!

do all Boss 302 have OEM wideband or just the LS edition?

ihatepotholess said:
nota4re said:
I think the one he used had cats. He would have needed a tuner if he used the off road H.

95blitz - We would have thought that a tune would be needed too - but we have proven, more than once now, that the OEM wideband-equipped ECU is compensating for the exhaust - and doing so very well. Our A/F's are even richer than stock in the rpm range from 4500 up! Pretty cool!!

All Boss 302s and Mustang GTs. Not sure but the V6 may well have them too.

cloud9 said:
ihatepotholess said:
nota4re said:

All Boss 302s and Mustang GTs. Not sure but the V6 may well have them too.

thank you, that is a great feature.

POS VETT said:
Can I see a picture of this complete Kooks system ? I tried Kook website and was unable to find any.
All long tube headers are listed on the Kooks site.

Go to KOOKS home page click on Headers, then click FORD , Then go to bottom of page and click on 5.0

1 3/4" Header part # 515-6041-175

1/ 7/8" " " # 515-6041-188

High flow Catted - H - Pipe # 515-6042-CATH

High flow Catted - X - Pipe # 515-6042-CATX

I hope you'll consider us if you are thinking to purchase. We can give plenty of help/suggestions to make the install easier. 2 down - one more install to go! www.cooltechllc.com

nota4re said:
I hope you'll consider us if you are thinking to purchase. We can give plenty of help/suggestions to make the install easier. 2 down - one more install to go! www.cooltechllc.com

Hi,
I'm considering the Kooks full setup for my LS & have a question.
I noticed that posts in this forum mention Trackey is OK with Kooks.
Here is my question:
- Has anyone tried the Araid Boss 302 CAI with a full header setup for trackkey deployment, & if so, what were the results?
Also, does the Kooks include free flow cats, or are the stock cats retained?
Many thanks for your reply!!
Lee.

Has anyone tried the Araid Boss 302 CAI with a full header setup for trackkey deployment, & if so, what were the results?

If you look at our website, you can see where you can order the Kook's with or without hi-flow cats. The OEM cats are discarded. The Jury is still out if the downstream O2 sensor wants to report a catalytic efficiency error code.

Regarding the Araid CAI, we haven't tested. Based on dyno (real) dyno charts that we have seenon OEM cars - no HP/TQ improvements were seen and, as such, we wouldn't expect to see any differences with the Kook's set-up. We DO think that the Airaid is a nice looking piece!

nota4re said:
Has anyone tried the Araid Boss 302 CAI with a full header setup for trackkey deployment, & if so, what were the results?

If you look at our website, you can see where you can order the Kook's with or without hi-flow cats. The OEM cats are discarded. The Jury is still out if the downstream O2 sensor wants to report a catalytic efficiency error code.

Regarding the Araid CAI, we haven't tested. Based on dyno (real) dyno charts that we have seenon OEM cars - no HP/TQ improvements were seen and, as such, we wouldn't expect to see any differences with the Kook's set-up. We DO think that the Airaid is a nice looking piece!

OK.
So, is the dyno sheet with test pipes?
Have you compared results of the Kooks cats against OEM cats?
Also, can you clarify on the O2 issue?
Thanks.

So, is the dyno sheet with test pipes?
Have you compared results of the Kooks cats against OEM cats?
Also, can you clarify on the O2 issue?
Dyno is with the test pipes. Compared stock exhaust system with Kooks w/cats - second dyno post. On the O2's, my car threw the CEL. We cleared it and it hasn't come back. If it does, there are three known remedies. !) Turn them off via a tune; 2) Use a wired in black box; 3) Use sparkplug foulers to space O2 sensors away so they don't throw a code.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I've tried the spacer method on 2 cars, albeit they were 4 cyl turbos (Jetta and a TTS). In both cases it didn't work. Not sure if VW/Audi ECM is just more stubborn. With the Jetta the problem cleared itself up after about a week for some reason. With the TTS an upgraded tune (APR STage 2+) suppressed the engine fault codes.

Maui
nota4re said:
Kendall--how did you get the long tubes installed? Drop the K-Member, or ?

Easy. I said, "Ryan, put those damn headers on the LS." I came back about 10 hours later and he was done! (Ryan's my son and mechanic extraordinaire. He's flying on Friday to do a Whipple upgrade on a Ford GT. Ford GT owners have flown him to other states to work on their cars - his favorite of which was Hawaii.) OK, yeah, I'm a proud dad - but let me answer your question.

We (Ryan doing and me mostly watching and criticizing) have done the install now on two different Boss 302's. We elected NOT to drop the K-member mostly because we're working on a 4-post lift. Easier than it sounds, but you do need to support and lift the motor and remove BOTH motor mounts completely. You install the driver's side header first (easier), lower the motor slightly, then install the passenger side header. There's a "trick" in that you can start all of the bolts holding the passenger side header, but with the header still loose you will need to lay the motor mount AND the starter kind of up in your way before tightening any of the header bolts. If you tighten one or more bolts on this passenger side before positioning the starter and motor mount - then you'll never get them in. The directions from Kook's are pretty good but we're guys and thought that after we did the driver's side, we didn't need the damn directions anymore! Guess again!

Your son will come to Hawaii? How about Maui? ;) I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to do some major modifications on my car that I can't handle. ;D

CoolTechLLC said:

..I know this is an old thread, but any opinions as to 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 (for Road Race), in each of these scenarios:

1. Kooks with CAI - (which diameter kooks)
2. Kooks with CAI & SCT tune - " "

This inforamtion and very interesting to me! I spoke with the guys from AM/Bama Tunning and they posted a very simlar app to a Boss on line. Kooks Long Tube Headers, CIA, H-Pipe and a custom tune and picked up over 60 HP.
When I spoke to them, they stated that none of the apps would work with Trackey. They stated that any change in fuel or air flow would cause error codes in the PCM.

Matt said:
This inforamtion and very interesting to me! I spoke with the guys from AM/Bama Tunning and they posted a very simlar app to a Boss on line. Kooks Long Tube Headers, CIA, H-Pipe and a custom tune and picked up over 60 HP.
When I spoke to them, they stated that none of the apps would work with Trackey. They stated that any change in fuel or air flow would cause error codes in the PCM.

It is my understanding that Kooks/CAI will work with track key which will adapt the A/F appropriately.
Some (SCT) have mentioned that a tune can be put on the black key, leaving the red intact, however, I have also heard the opposite from others.

One bottom line comment coming from Rehagen Racing makes sense to me: if you will be tracking the car, forgo the tune and all of the problems that a tune can present; particularly under the least forgiving conditions and when you least want it to occur.

..Other posts can be found elsewhere (on many other forums) about broken pistons, etc. from "tuning."

I think the Rehagen recommendation makes sense for those looking to pick up some seat time, track-side.

TMO Supporting Vendors