Kooks Long Tube Headers Install

Discussion in 'How To Forum' started by BossBabe302, Dec 8, 2018.

1. BossBabe302

BossBabe302 TMO Beginner

hey all, my husband is being a champ and installing my long tube headers in my 2012 Boss. He’s having a lot of issues getting the nuts out to take the old headers off. He’s working on the passenger side now and is 1 but away from being able to remove that side. Any advice on how to remove the top forward bolt? Or any advice on how to tackle the drivers side too? It seems like there’s just not enough room to work. I would be out there helping but being 8 months pregnant, I’m doing what I can to help.

Grant 302 and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  2. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

I'm assuming that he didn't drop the K member to do this job? I can't even imagine doing it without getting that thing out of the way. I know someone has done it but take it from me.......it's the only way to go. I did the entire job myself....including K member. I would highly recommend someone help with the K member but it's not difficult and will save him hours and hours of frustration. I'm no master mechanic so if I can do it I know he can. It sounds like more work but it's not. I also made the mistake of leaving the original studs in the heads instead of using the new bolts so if you think getting at the nuts is hard now try it with the Kooks installed and those long studs. You need a lot of different tools to get at each nut. Wish I could remember what I did for that top front. Good luck.

ArizonaBOSS and Coz like this.
  3. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

@BossBabe302 welcome to TMO. I’ve never installed headers in a Boss but as Doc mentioned lowering the K member is what many members do when installing headers. Good luck and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  4. 2012-Boss

2012-Boss TMO Addict

I would definitely drop the k-member with the kooks.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  5. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

In addition to the "drop the K-Member" suggestions, a variety of 15mm stubby and regular-length ratcheting box-end wrenches (with flex ends) will make this job a lot easier. But generally, any way you do it, it will be a PITA and involve a lot of cut up hands (unless the engine is out of the car altogether).

6. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

Trying to forget the aggravation but now it's all coming back!

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Looks like having the BMR engine mounts does make the job easier... My guy had them in and out in a couple of hours... and they were the drivers side. Better him then me...