The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks LT Headers W/ Cats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is according to Kooks. If we install their headers and cats, over time, the computer will learn the improved airflow and run fine with out a CEL. I have a buddy who races a coyote 5.0 in a Fox Body. He swears the computer has gotten smarter and the MPH and ET have improved by doing nothing other than driving the car to let the computer learn. It sounds reasonable. Any thoughts?

Kendall with Cooltech posted that the PCM adjusted to their Kooks setup with no problem with the stock and TK tunes.

SVO WOODY

Cruising Southern Ontario
Canada
NFSBOSS said:
Kendall with Cooltech posted that the PCM adjusted to their Kooks setup with no problem with the stock and TK tunes.

So with no "outside" tune just over time? and were they installed before or after TK was installed?

seca954 said:
This is according to Kooks. If we install their headers and cats, over time, the computer will learn the improved airflow and run fine with out a CEL. I have a buddy who races a coyote 5.0 in a Fox Body. He swears the computer has gotten smarter and the MPH and ET have improved by doing nothing other than driving the car to let the computer learn. It sounds reasonable. Any thoughts?

A true 304 SS full exhaust on a production "Road Runner" Boss 302 engine with "Copperhead" engine management that could consistently and repeatedly pass both a visual and OBDII emissions inspection.

This would be the final piece of the puzzle for me, so I am very interested to hear of any proven solutions.

AFAIK, the only person to date that has accomplished this is Kendall with a custom quad cat Kooks setup.

Environmental issues aside and for better or worse, the reality is that many of us must pass an emissions inspection of some kind on a regular basis.

In my case and in many other states in the country this involves an OBDII check. Not only does this mean it must pass a CEL or MIL check, but also a check of emissions readiness status (O2 sensor, misfire, evap and so on).

At the moment, this is easier said than done.

NFSBOSS said:
They were installed after TK and work with both tunes. They will throw a CEL on the Boss though.

Do they also throw a CEL on a Mustang GT or only the Boss?

I know there is a drag race series promoted by Ford. The rules state that the internals of the motor can NOT be touched nor can the tune. The motors are crate 5.0 engines. They are not the boss 5.0. I doubt racers with purpose built drag cars are using Cats. Most likely they are also using LT headers, maybe even after market air filters. At the end of a competion, the computers are checked to confirm they haven't been tampered with. That implies the computers are controlling the crate 5.0 without throwing a CEL even though LT headers are installed. The solution to our problem might be answered by someone slightly outside of the Boss community. It could also mean that the Boss computer is not the same as the 5.0 crate motor.

There has to be a reasonable solution.

seca954 said:
Do they also throw a CEL on a Mustang GT or only the Boss?

I know there is a drag race series promoted by Ford. The rules state that the internals of the motor can NOT be touched nor can the tune. The motors are crate 5.0 engines. They are not the boss 5.0. I doubt racers with purpose built drag cars are using Cats. Most likely they are also using LT headers, maybe even after market air filters. At the end of a competion, the computers are checked to confirm they haven't been tampered with. That implies the computers are controlling the crate 5.0 without throwing a CEL even though LT headers are installed. The solution to our problem might be answered by someone slightly outside of the Boss community. It could also mean that the Boss computer is not the same as the 5.0 crate motor.

There has to be a reasonable solution.
I'm not sure if this is the reason it throws the CEL or not, but by definition the Boss PCM is different than the standard 5.0 since it's the only dual-path PCM offered by Ford. The easy answer is to have a tuner shut off the rear O2s even on the factory tune. Obviously that doesn't work in states where OBDII is checked as part of an emissions test.

TMO Supporting Vendors