The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks new headers. NO CEL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss man said:
from what I understand your wait will be over at the end of this month. Kooks scheduled release date for the headers.
Which cat deletes are you going to be using from Jegs?? Stainless or steel?

Yup - I hope to get it into the shop late next week or the following !! JDM has been great with communication as well !

I ordered the Jegs Stainless - might as well :)

LP Heaven said:
Yup - I hope to get it into the shop late next week or the following !! JDM has been great with communication as well !

I ordered the Jegs Stainless - might as well :)

I understand you have TK. I guess you will be getting a tune for the cat delete pipes. Will that make TK useless??

boss man said:
I understand you have TK. I guess you will be getting a tune for the cat delete pipes. Will that make TK useless??

You don't need a tune for a cat delete on the Boss so im going to keep TK til I decide which tune I want.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Just swapped out the long tubes/catted x with these kooks shorties and my stock cats and h-pipe. The install wasnt too bad, except for the fact that the steering shaft runs through the ds header.

First, sound....it's quieter now. The stock cats do a lot to kill exhaust sound. Its much better on the street, but I am guessing I will want more raspy exhaust for the track.

Second, performance...I only have seat of the pants to go by, but it doesn't feel like I gave up any power. And based on info gathered, cat deleting will result in a good power bump.

Third, emissions....the CEL is gone! I have my emissions test due by July, so after I log about 100 miles, I am going to get her tested. Then run out and get cat deletes and a tune that turns off the rear o2's.

Next, I plan to ditch the stock h and over axle pipes for a full 3". Not sure if there is extra power from it, but the factory pipes look frankensteined and beat up.

I would say this upgrade is definitely worthwhile. The gains are modest on a stock engine, but lay the ground work for complimenting other HP adders. And I can say with reasonable certainty, that there is no significant gain in choosing long tubes over these.

I've been given a date of this Thursday for my SS jegs cat deletes and the SS headers.
JDM engineering (Freehold New Jersey)is doing the install. Great guys, and they called me every week for communication. Theyre a small speed shop but EXTREMELY busy with a long line.
http://www.teamjdm.com/

The shop wants to tune my Boss but I don't know that I want to because I have Track Key and love the launch control and lope, throttle response and engine decel.

They be tryin to talk me into it - what say you >? should I let them dyno tune it now ? I suppose I'll have the Track Key on the SCT if I want to load it on the Red Key and the JDM tune on the Silver ?

I told them it doesn't NEED a tune but they think it will run too rich and WILL need a tune.

Suggestions ?

tks - Rob

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the headers do not require a tune...the cat deletes may be a different story. it is my understanding that you cant use the red key in conjunction with an aftermarket tune.

that said, if you are entertaining the idea of a tune (and throwing your warranty out the window), you can gain a good deal of power from a good tune. also, get a cai and have that tuned in while you are at it!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
LP Heaven said:
I've been given a date of this Thursday for my SS jegs cat deletes and the SS headers.
JDM engineering (Freehold New Jersey)is doing the install. Great guys, and they called me every week for communication. Theyre a small speed shop but EXTREMELY busy with a long line.
http://www.teamjdm.com/

The shop wants to tune my Boss but I don't know that I want to because I have Track Key and love the launch control and lope, throttle response and engine decel.

They be tryin to talk me into it - what say you >? should I let them dyno tune it now ? I suppose I'll have the Track Key on the SCT if I want to load it on the Red Key and the JDM tune on the Silver ?

I told them it doesn't NEED a tune but they think it will run too rich and WILL need a tune.

Suggestions ?

tks - Rob
Well its not going to run to rich. the car has wide bands and its commanded to a A/F ratio. So it will adjust itself. So no you dont need a tune. If you ditch the cats you wont need a tune but it will throw a CEL that you will have to look at or deal with if you have to get the car inspected.

Going with a tune would be worth some power. I would get a CAI to go with it and delete the cats. Give Shuan from AED a ring and get a tune from him. His tunes are amazing, I know I have had various others along with trackey.

So do you need it?....no
Is one worth power?....yes

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel