The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks new headers. NO CEL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well.
the stock drivers side header come out without removal of any of these things. so if placement of the collector is the same place so the stock cats pipe is reused then i would say that it should go in without there removal.

reasonable guess.

for that price i would have bought them, and then picked up the jeggs catless pipes. my arh setup cost me 1500 n change. i would have saved roughly half by going this route.

steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
darren, i didn't know that! that explains the funky tube not in line with the rest. the mid-length shows all the primaries together, so it shouldn't wrap around the shaft.

steve, the stocker comes out without a problem because of its compact tri-y arrangement. the 4 into 1 makes a bulkier package. i would be extremely surprised if they went in without moving/removing things. my pypes headers were really close to going in without tilting the engine, but after some struggling, that's what i had to do. i think the mid-length will just make handling them easier when trying to snake them up from underneath.

There was an extremely long thread over at TMS about the Kooks Long Tubes.

Gains over stock:

Kooks LT + offroad H-pipe: 35 hp and 41 ft-lbs
Kooks LT + high flow cat H-pipe: 13 hp and 18 ft-lbs

In fact, numerous other tests in both magazines and on other forums show the LT + O/R midpipe consistently yielding 35-40 hp, with the catted systems yielding disappointing results.

My conclusion from this was that most of the gains come from removing the cats, not from the headers or H-pipe.

I chatted with Jim III. I'm going catless with kooks LT and O/R hpipe cause I want to keep my side exhaust. I can also keep trackkey for the time being as well. Cleared the work with my service dept for warranty - no issues
Buzzin with excitement and if it weren't for this board I still would not have found a speed shop in Jersey willing to work on my BOSS - I've tried several well known shops who flat out said no to installing O/R or catless on the BOSS

Yea 8)

Rob

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
agreed. there IS more power in ridding yourself of the cat...and its hella cheap to do! however, this discussion is about a header that bolts up to the stock cat so you can pass emissions. is this 10hp/10tq expensive? yes-hell everything for these cars is overpriced. is it as good at making power as a longtube that costs $400 more? seems like it to me. so, it makes similar power (part vs part) and costs $400 less AND you unquestionably pass emissions.

oh, and this is one of the few places you can gain any power without kissing your warranty goodbye (not that i haven't already blown that out of the water myself, but its a sticky point for lots of enthusiasts).

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I just dont see how it would make the same power as a full length header. I want to see someone take a boss with stock exhaust dyno it. then take that same boss on the same dyno and run it with these shorty headers and cats then with o/r mid pipe. then run that same boss on the same dyno and run it with long tubes with high flow cats then without and see where the cards fall. and peak numbers dont interest me as much as a graph does I want to see what it gains in trq down low mid and top end. Then if we through in there a tune for the exhaust and a CAI.

I am worried about my warranty about as much as I am with a comet smashing into the earth. I didnt buy this car to be at the mercy of ford over what I can and cant do to my car. if they dont cover the engine because they can prove its because of something I did great. but I would love to see them deny a warranty claim on my power window cause I have long tubes on the car.

For the 700 bucks plus the amount of labor to get these headers on I would want far more than 10hp. But thats me. I have done a few sets of long tubes on these cars and those wont be but the tiniest bit easier to do. So for me if I am going to spend 5-6 hours on my back doing headers they sure as hell will be the headers that will make the most power that I can afford.

Hopefully someone will do a comparison like MMFF or 5.0. I would settle for a test of a boss crate engine on an engine dyno comparison it would give us the best apples to apples comparison. But alas they probably wont do something like that they will instead do another push rod 302 with a stroker kit build ups that I have read about 400 times.

Rant over edit as needed.

Justin said:
I just dont see how it would make the same power as a full length header. I want to see someone take a boss with stock exhaust dyno it. then take that same boss on the same dyno and run it with these shorty headers and cats then with o/r mid pipe. then run that same boss on the same dyno and run it with long tubes with high flow cats then without and see where the cards fall. and peak numbers dont interest me as much as a graph does I want to see what it gains in trq down low mid and top end. Then if we through in there a tune for the exhaust and a CAI.

I am worried about my warranty about as much as I am with a comet smashing into the earth. I didnt buy this car to be at the mercy of ford over what I can and cant do to my car. if they dont cover the engine because they can prove its because of something I did great. but I would love to see them deny a warranty claim on my power window cause I have long tubes on the car.

For the 700 bucks plus the amount of labor to get these headers on I would want far more than 10hp. But thats me. I have done a few sets of long tubes on these cars and those wont be but the tiniest bit easier to do. So for me if I am going to spend 5-6 hours on my back doing headers they sure as hell will be the headers that will make the most power that I can afford.

Hopefully someone will do a comparison like MMFF or 5.0. I would settle for a test of a boss crate engine on an engine dyno comparison it would give us the best apples to apples comparison. But alas they probably wont do something like that they will instead do another push rod 302 with a stroker kit build ups that I have read about 400 times.

Rant over edit as needed.

So, what's wrong with your power window? ???

Justin

Jimmy Pribble said:
So, what's wrong with your power window? ???
lol nothing. I just get tired of reading about warranty this and warranty that. There are people that think and have taken from ford dealers that they will not warranty there "power window" since they have a "tune" on the car.....

Justin said:
lol nothing. I just get tired of reading about warranty this and warranty that. There are people that think and have taken from ford dealers that they will not warranty there "power window" since they have a "tune" on the car.....

I know, man. Just playin'. ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the header primaries are only about 4" shorter than longtubes. i'd be surprised if that made a big difference.

hang in there. i am sure a proper comparo is going to be coming soon.

don't know whoes been beating you up lately on warranty talk, but you are obviously jaded about it. my point was that there are few power producing mods that don't void the engine warranty. i am glad you have such a cavalier attitude about your warranty. it makes customizing much easier. but don't piss and moan about people who are concerned about it. they have every right to be concerned about it.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Guess I gotta look into this since I doubt any shop here in California will do the catless work even though I'm registered in Florida. I already have the Kooks h-pipe so it's a matter of getting the right tubes to link it all together.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

well I have 45k left on mine so I want to keep it in tact. I patient and once it runs out i'll prolly get rid of track key and go with JDM or AED 93 tunes.
I have a very good relationship with my dealer( 4 cars purchased there and 1 lease) and don't want to put them in a position because I made a decision to modify my BOSS that could affect that.

So the decision to go with these new headers was easy and I doubt that I'll take THAT much of a hp hit to make a difference as I don't track or drag. I just wanted more kick which is exactly what im paying a very good price for.

Justin

pufferfish said:
the header primaries are only about 4" shorter than longtubes. i'd be surprised if that made a big difference.

hang in there. i am sure a proper comparo is going to be coming soon.

don't know whoes been beating you up lately on warranty talk, but you are obviously jaded about it. my point was that there are few power producing mods that don't void the engine warranty. i am glad you have such a cavalier attitude about your warranty. it makes customizing much easier. but don't piss and moan about people who are concerned about it. they have every right to be concerned about it.
then the kooks L/t's? I am more vested in say the ARH headers or the pypes stepped headers

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Yes,comparing the kooks LT to their new mid. But I haven't seen any lower performance out of the kooks LT vs the others that extend further.

If you want pypes stepped LT's, I will have a set for sale after I install these new kooks headers!

Justin

pufferfish said:
Yes,comparing the kooks LT to their new mid. But I haven't seen any lower performance out of the kooks LT vs the others that extend further.

If you want pypes stepped LT's, I will have a set for sale after I install these new kooks headers!
did they come out with a mid pipe that retains the side exhaust? If they did I'll jump on them

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel