The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks new headers. NO CEL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i just got notification yesterday about the release of Kooks new, mid-length header that bolts up to the factory cats. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS! and this is a real power adder. dyno proven 10+ hp AND tq with no other changes. add a high flow H-pipe and you've got 20+ hp (same power as a longtube with high flow catted H)! as with all headers on these engines, no tune is required.

if you held off on buying headers because of the CEL issues, well, wait no longer! or if you have headers with the dreaded CEL (or have it turned off) and fear the upcoming emissions test, its time to switch! they are being produced now(4-6 week lead time), so get your pre-orders in so you can beat the rush. i am ordering mine today!

http://stores.blowfishracing.com/-strse-84/5.0L-Coyote-fdsh-Roadrunner-Super-Street/Detail.bok

FYI, a CEL with fail emissions. turning it off with your tune still fails emissions.

also, just found an article that highlights the advantages of these headers.
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/193619-The-Numbers-are-in!!!-Kooks-Super-Street-Headers-Tested

This is great news! The CEL was one of the main things holding me back! Unfortunately, the other main thing is money. :(

I need to get in on this crowdfunding craze. ;)

Maybe another GB opportunity?

Interesting. The whole emissions issue has kept LTH off my radar screen. I'll want to see a dyno chart on a completely stock car before I jump on board.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
NFSBOSS said:
Interesting. The whole emissions issue has kept LTH off my radar screen. I'll want to see a dyno chart on a completely stock car before I jump on board.
the test didn't indicate a retune with the header install, so it had no additional compensation. i would imagine the gains were actually from the headers (not the tune). if so, the gains should be similar with a stock engine. that said, i would be interested in seeing what a roadrunner engine can do with the headers installed, since it has more breathing potential than the coyote.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
my question is if I am not worried about a CEL light or having the car tuned are the full length kooks headers worth more power or less? I am guessing the full lengths will be more.

So you're saying that these mid length headers are worth the same power as long tubes. You have any proof of that comment?

i thin k thats the best move.
leave the stock tube header on the car, swap back and forth between the catless mid pipe and the catted one.

thats where your power gains will be seen the most.

i used the ARH long tubes and carless x pipe with boss side pipe hookups.
i can tell you that this things runs hard now. i would not swap back. but its not a street driven car and i can understand that cel issue as i would not do the long tube swap if i needed to have the car inspected.

if i was in your situation, i would use the catless mid and stick with the stock header.

steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
to get complete clarity in what the article said, i called Kooks to confirm what parts were used. the 20+ gains were with a Kooks catted hi-flow h-pipe. from what i have read, dyno numbers are comparable to a catted longtube setup.

of course all data is subjective. it was on an already tuned engine. there is no comparison of longtubes on this engine on this dyno. do your own research if it makes you happy. for me, the data speaks enough for me to purchase these and spend my time busting my knuckles to take out my longtubes and rid myself of the CEL once and for all, without sacrificing too much power.

NFSBOSS said:
Steve would the shorty headers be easier to install compared to LT's?

Looking at them I'd say it would be about the same maybe slightly more difficult. They seem to be roughly the same shape as long tubes just shorter. As long as they still slide up there easily and you can access all the nuts it should be the same.

i would think yes on that.
you may still need to work on the drivers side a bit harder.
the long tubes make you pull the motor mount and the steering shaft. i suspect you can get away without having to do that on these mid length headers though.

so that is a plus.

the only way i would run them is if they where a super cheap mod. i suspect they would not be cheap though. cat deletes will get you most of the power and allow you to swap back and forth for inroad/offroad use..

of course you could add these and that cat delete pipe and prolly make decent power though. but what is the cost of this header?

steve

i have not seen pics of them yet.

i know getting access to the head/bolts isnt the issue. its getting the tubes past the mounts.steering shaft without removal.
even though removing those parts is not in any way difficult.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the mid-length might be a tad easier since they arent' so long, but i am just guessing.

i had a hell of a time trying to remove my steering shaft, so instead, i rocked the engine towards the passenger side. that gave me enough room to get past the shaft with my longtubes.

price is listed on the site. ($655.49 shipped in the US)

TMO Supporting Vendors