The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

kooks side pipes vs stock - any difference in flow?

344
0
Can anyone give me a seat of the pants or dyno comparison of kooks side pipes vs stock 302 side pipes?
The comparison I am looking for is on a full Kooks LT setup with cat delete.
Just curious to know if I am leaving anything on the table by retaining the stock side pipes on an otherwise complete Kooks setup.
Also, with the Kooks, can the baffle plates be used?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
lbp said:
Can anyone give me a seat of the pants or dyno comparison of kooks side pipes vs stock 302 side pipes?
The comparison I am looking for is on a full Kooks LT setup with cat delete.
Just curious to know if I am leaving anything on the table by retaining the stock side pipes on an otherwise complete Kooks setup.
Also, with the Kooks, can the baffle plates be used?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lee - I doubt very highly if there's a difference, since the general belief is that there's no difference in HP with the side pipes in or out, Kooks or otherwise. What H pipe are you using that still supports the stock H-Pipes? I'm not a kooks maven (yet ;-) but Cloud9 has a lot of good experience. I thought that the optimum setup was to remove the side pipes altogether and switch to a different H-Pipe. All of this I thought was from Kooks, from the LTH's all the way back (?).

Oh Mr. "1'st place in your Class", can you help us underlings ?? (back handed complement to Cloud9, otherwise known as "Mr. Speedy" ::) )

-Pete
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,752
1,223
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Lee
From a performance stance I would bet you would gain more by running 1 7/8" or 2" primary tube headers, 3" x pipe and 3" over axle pipes with lighter free flow mufflers like Corsas eliminating the side pipes will save weight (20lbs) and your hearing. There isn't enough room under the floor pans to run a side pipe that can flow enough to increase power. Now if you are doing it for sound the Kooks side pipes do scream louder than the stock Boss pipes.
Steve
 
344
0
PeteInCT said:
Lee - I doubt very highly if there's a difference, since the general belief is that there's no difference in HP with the side pipes in or out, Kooks or otherwise. What H pipe are you using that still supports the stock H-Pipes? I'm not a kooks maven (yet ;-) but Cloud9 has a lot of good experience. I thought that the optimum setup was to remove the side pipes altogether and switch to a different H-Pipe. All of this I thought was from Kooks, from the LTH's all the way back (?).

Oh Mr. "1'st place in your Class", can you help us underlings ?? (back handed complement to Cloud9, otherwise known as "Mr. Speedy" ::) )

-Pete

Pete it is Kooks all the way back & I would agree about flow since it is generally known that the side pipe is basically for sound.
- None-the-less, just thought I'd ask.
Thanks for replying.
Lee.

- Are you going to NJMP 5/16-18?
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Steve's answer is the more lucid ;D What he states is what a number of people have done with good results. That setup seems to be the best bang for your buck as far as an increase in real horsepower is concerned.

-Pete
 
344
0
steveespo said:
Lee
From a performance stance I would bet you would gain more by running 1 7/8" or 2" primary tube headers, 3" x pipe and 3" over axle pipes with lighter free flow mufflers like Corsas eliminating the side pipes will save weight (20lbs) and your hearing. There isn't enough room under the floor pans to run a side pipe that can flow enough to increase power. Now if you are doing it for sound the Kooks side pipes do scream louder than the stock Boss pipes.
Steve

Steve, are you running 1 7/8" with a CJ setup, & if so how what hp/tq did you get?
thx
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,752
1,223
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Lee
Haven't got the CJ on yet. I'm going back and forth with Shaun at AED about writing the tune. My data logs at idle show a lean condition that I believe is either the O2 sensors or dirty MAF. I eliminated the vacuum leak as a possible reason today. The WOT logs look good but Shaun is a PhD of tuning and he won't release one unless the logs show all is well.
I do plan on using my 1 7/8" ARH headers since they are on and I am NOT doing that job again. I did hear that 2" primaries are worth some power with the CJ manifold.
Steve
 
344
0
steveespo said:
Lee
Haven't got the CJ on yet. I'm going back and forth with Shaun at AED about writing the tune. My data logs at idle show a lean condition that I believe is either the O2 sensors or dirty MAF. I eliminated the vacuum leak as a possible reason today. The WOT logs look good but Shaun is a PhD of tuning and he won't release one unless the logs show all is well.
I do plan on using my 1 7/8" ARH headers since they are on and I am NOT doing that job again. I did hear that 2" primaries are worth some power with the CJ manifold.
Steve

ok & thanks.
- what about tq lower down on rpm with the larger pipes?
Any trade off?
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top