The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks Super Street Shorty Headers - Install Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,

I bought a set of these to install this spring on my Boss. Went with these as long tubes would have required change to cats etc... too costly for my budget right now.

I know that several forum members have installed these, won't be installing myself, so I'm looking for whatever tips can be provided I can pass along to the installer.

Also, anything I should look after while doing this... protection of components from heat, replace motor mounts? Stage 8 header bolts? Use supplied gasket? etc.

They're at a custom coater now for coating with CeraKote Glacier Silver ceramic paint. This should help keep under hood temps down.

Currently have Steeda CAI and tune, FRP 84.5 TB (current tune includes these)... not sure, but might need a new tune with the headers?

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Hi All,

I bought a set of these to install this spring on my Boss. Went with these as long tubes would have required change to cats etc... too costly for my budget right now.

I know that several forum members have installed these, won't be installing myself, so I'm looking for whatever tips can be provided I can pass along to the installer.

Also, anything I should look after while doing this... protection of components from heat, replace motor mounts? Stage 8 header bolts? Use supplied gasket? etc.

They're at a custom coater now for coating with CeraKote Glacier Silver ceramic paint. This should help keep under hood temps down.

Currently have Steeda CAI and tune, FRP 84.5 TB (current tune includes these)... not sure, but might need a new tune with the headers?

Thanks much.
When I installed the long tube headers it took a long time but was not super difficult. My best words of advice would be to have a set of swivel-headed ratcheting wrenches (15mm is most important) that can be bought at any harbor freight and have a good light that can stay underneath the car. Also, spray the header nuts and studs and the catalytic converter bolts with PB blaster and let soak for a good 12 hours before the install. Headers are supposed to last the entire life of the engine so removing them isn't easy. As for a tune, probably not necessary for shorty headers but the diameter of primaries is changing so you may want to look into that more. You can buy the catless midpipe for about $200 which is much less expensive than buying one with cats but you are going to be NASCAR loud. Hope some of this helps.

TMO Supporting Vendors