The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kudos to Dave Whitworth at the SCCA Solo Champ Nationals!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dave decided to make a bold move during the Solo Champ Nationals over the Memorial Day Weekend ( actually two Champ Tour events running Friday/Sat. and Sunday/Monday ) switching to Hoosiers on his CAMC 2012 Mustang and jumping into C Prepared. Sunday saw the pavement mimicking a wet traction circle test area with drizzle making the torque application with the CP machines an exercise in pussyfooting the cavalcade of cones! Chris Miller , whose pristine Fox Bodied turbo four was loving his lower power advantage in applying rubber to the damp pavement was leading by 6/10ths on Sunday , but surprise entry DaveW was in the second spot. Dave came really close to winning the event , missing the Gold Medal by 3/10ths, but more importantly shocking the C Prepared contingent by showing up with a CAMC car in the race prepared Class - way to go Mr. Whitworth. Brian Myer was just one place out of the trophies in his GT 350, placing 3rd in the B Street Class on Monday, and being the highest placing Mustang in this stock class.

Now, CAMC was a really cool spectacle to watch for the Blue Oval Fans, as the top 5 places ( and trophies ) all went to Mustangs ----- no Bowties till numero 6!

Lastly, the one observation one could ascertain from this event that had the feel of a " Mini Nationals " with all the top notch drivers from around the US who showed up, was that for auto crossing the Yokohama seems to be the new hot ticket for trophying! There were quite a few drivers with Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes ,etc. that have switched over and it does seem to be the new top dog in the 200 TWR Tire Wars. Now keep in mind that road course usage may mean this tire is only good for a few laps, since it does seem to heat up mega fast! But for those just doing cone carving, this may be the tire to view, though rapid wear does seem to be it's one downfall from competitor comments ( so that will affect cost in replacement will come sooner ).

If the event is cold (like it was all 4 days for 1st heat cam-c), the Yokohama are unbeatable. I still am not 100% convinced that the Yokohama is as dominant on big cars in warmer weather and I still think (based on my testing) it will be be downright problematic on hot days with two drivers. Let's remember that I kept some Yokohama clad cars honest at Dixie on my Falkens.

I do think the Yok is the only answer right now on small cars or even Corvettes with their relatively light weight and good camber. CAM Mustangs are none of those things.

All that said, if the Yok becomes the CAM tire to have, my time there will be done. Hoosiers wear better, are cheaper (not cheap, but less than Yoks, especially for me :)) and most importantly, drive well.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Dave, as there were some solid placings by quite a few on Falkens, and saying the weather was cool was an understatement , as we turned the heat back on at our house -----------in friggin late May!!!!!

As Dave said, the cold weather in Lincoln really skewed the results towards Yoks. Glad was on them though, they felt like magic on the first run in sub 50 degree morning temperatures. Was cold and windy enough that I actually put tire blankets on the Yoks between runs (single driver).
Will see what summer brings with warmer temps and going back to BFGs.

TMO Supporting Vendors