The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Laguna Seca 90db limit GT500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tracy, California
I was wondering if anyone out there has a solution for meeting the sound limitation at Laguna Seca with a 2020 GT500? I recently drove there and the only solution was quiet mode and minimal throttle up hill from turn 5. When I was there someone also mentioned the limit was going to 92db for 2022?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
If you're close, 90 degree turnouts on the exhaust exits that points the sound to the driver's left will usually knock off 3-4 db. Those 92 db days are a little ridiculous. You can almost trip the meter with tire noise. A GT500 would be kind of a non-starter. You'll have to go rent a Prius for the track day.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
To be honest... with a little work 90 db is attainable. My gen 1 was at 470rwhp and made it in under 90db, On the track and in the sound booth.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
I was at Thunderhill today and actually failed 103db.... twice! I then looked in the user manual, and there's a fuse for the exhaust valve controllers. I set the exhaust mode I wanted (Sport was good enough to pass 103db), and pulled the fuse. The exhaust valves stayed in that position and I passed the last session! After putting the fuse back at the end of the track day - I *did* have some issues on the way home with the valves getting stuck (Drivers was in quiet and passenger was in Sport, wow what an amazing resonance at 78mph, it was deafening). But 3-4 key cycles, open / close door, lock car, etc.... reset this and it seems to work fine now :cool:

I was wondering if anyone out there has a solution for meeting the sound limitation at Laguna Seca with a 2020 GT500? I recently drove there and the only solution was quiet mode and minimal throttle up hill from turn 5. When I was there someone also mentioned the limit was going to 92db for 2022?
The problem with Laguna Seca is the overcast. If the clouds are low you are going to read higher db's on the meter than if there is no overcast. The sound bounces off the low cloud cover. In your case I'd add turn outs angling away from the meter at turn 5. Another option that I had to do was add Supertrap mufflers to the exit of my Flowmaster mufflers to get to 90db on a road race Corvette.

TMO Supporting Vendors