The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Laguna Seca 90db sound limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all and happy new year,

I will be running my 2012 Boss at Laguna April 30 with NCRC. Current setup is GT500 mufflers and open side pipe baffles. Anyone know from experience if this will pass or exceed the 90db limit?

Thanks!

You’ll be fine with 1/2” or smaller side plates. Check my signature if you don’t have side plates.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For what its worth, I was at 94db with stock exhaust, no side pipes and Kooks catted headers. Added a 8" long 2.5" ID glass pack right after the kooks xpipe and the noise went down to 88db.

I think even a stock mustang is about 91db at full rpm?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

I slayed the dreaded sound dragon with Frankenstang even without a laguna pipe. However, not much about my setup translates directly to a boss so I don’t have much to offer in the way of experience with those cars. I can tell you that’s it is possible to make big power and pass with long tubes/no cats with all 3” pipe and just a pair of mufflers straight out the back....if you use the right mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I slayed the dreaded sound dragon with Frankenstang even without a laguna pipe. However, not much about my setup translates directly to a boss so I don’t have much to offer in the way of experience with those cars. I can tell you that’s it is possible to make big power and pass with long tubes/no cats with all 3” pipe and just a pair of mufflers straight out the back....if you use the right mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which mufflers?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Which mufflers?
Depends on the motor. What works for mine may not work for yours.
I know Kevin @Albino500 has been very successful with a certain Bullet muffler on boss 302's. Mine is a monster of a different flavor all together. Kevin....want to share here?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm going to re-install the stock sidepipe baffles for the track day - will report back how that goes. Motor is bone stock on my car.

FWIW when we run there we have turn downs at the end of our exhausts, we point them away from the DB meter. In most states (but let's face it, the People's Republik of Kalifornia always has to be different) the DB meter is supposed to be placed at the property line, not on the edge of the track.
BTW, buy your gas/diesel in another state if you have big enough tanks, they just jacked the taxes up on that.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Our ridiculous sound measuring is done in a sound booth with a sound sensor on either side just about a 1.5 meters away the rear sides of the car..... We have to pass -90db with the engine at 6000rpm. And for the tricky ones.... they leave a sound station 3/4 the way up the main straight. I though we were done for, but was happy too see what well placed glass packs will do!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors