The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Laguna Seca rear spoiler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ordered it through CJ Pony and it's back ordered on their end. I got my wheels and a couple of other goodies already. My car is on "ship hold" whatever that means so I'm in no hurry. :'(

It has a lot of surface area and you don't realize how big it is till you stand next to it. You don't take into account by looking at pics how it hangs over the rear edge of the car, making it about have the size of the deck lid ;D

I never drove on the track without mine so I am waiting on Gary to tell us how much difference he feels.

2012Boss said:
I never drove on the track without mine so I am waiting on Gary to tell us how much difference he feels.
I think you're giving me FAR too much credit to think I'll be able to feel it ;D We'll see, but I don't know if I'll be able to tell exactly how much it helps, or more importantly have the (insert noun) to find out. The high speed turns that I think it will help me through don't leave a lot of room for error if you do find the edge :eek:

ArizonaGT said:
You gonna fit up an LS Front Splitter, too? :)
I'm thinking about it, but it looks really expensive. It's going to require MAJOR modifications. My current tilt-bed open trailer already drags the standard front splitter on the diamond plate. Doesn't hurt it, but there's no way the LS splitter goes on it. So......that means a new enclosed trailer with a low deck and long ramps. An enclosed trailer means my F-150 won't pull it, so now we're into a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel dually pickup. Bottom line the front splitter looks like it could cost me upwards of $30-$50k!!!!

LOL, toys are cool! It is not so much as how well you drive on the track but how you look pulling up! Well maybe the on-track thing counts for something ... yea kind of ... so never-mind ;D

Gary, I will bet you feel a difference in the new spoiler. Even with my limited experience I think I could feel it if I had enough seat time both ways on a fast track.

2012Boss said:
LOL, toys are cool! It is not so much as how well you drive on the track but how you look pulling up! Well maybe the on-track thing counts for something ... yea kind of ... so never-mind ;D

Gary, I will bet you feel a difference in the new spoiler. Even with my limited experience I think I could feel it if I had enough seat time both ways on a fast track.
If he can feel a difference will it be is the car more planted or less balanced??? ;D

The spoiler will increase drag somewhat which is not a good thing but if designed correctly it will help the overall airflow on the car so the drag would be a wash. Hopefully that was tested and this is the spoiler they came up for the Boss with so it should have little drag effect.

The biggest gain is down-force on the rear end and tires and makes the car handle better at high speeds especially in high speed corners. The more down-force on the rear tires the more stable it will be, as long as it is used correctly with a front spoiler/splitter. The 69 70 spoilers were very adjustable and there was a reason for that, you could almost point it 45 degrees down. It is like the opposite effect of an airplane wing, the wing creates a low pressure above to lift the airplane. The car spoiler creates a high pressure above and besides adding more down-force for better rear traction it will stop the car from lifting up at high speed which is a very bad thing, lol. I am sure everyone has seen what happens in NASCAR when a car creates lift or even the bridge in WA that fell in the 50's. Most NASCAR cars created lift when spun around losing the effect of the front and rear spoiler, they came up with a simple solution and that was to put in roof flaps that open up when backwards disrupting the airflow.

That is why I say Gary of all people should recognize a difference with all of his track time.

2012Boss said:
Most NASCAR cars created lift when spun around losing the effect of the front and rear spoiler, they came up with a simple solution and that was to put in roof flaps that open up when backwards disrupting the airflow.
I'll let you pioneer that mod Scott ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors