The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Laguna Seca vs boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am new to this forum but not new to the car world. But I have a few questions for you boss owners. I am currently in the market for a 2013 boss mustang but I am not sure if I want a Laguna Seca model or just the boss. I do plan on doing some track events but I also may just want to hit the open road for an afternoon and I am not sure how rigid the Laguna Seca car is for our streets and highways. Any input is helpful. I will be buying one in the next week if not sooner.MadDog

Good question. I have a good amount of seat time in both. I'd bet you any amount of money that in a blind ride-along comparison you would never be able to tell the difference.

Also, for mere mortals, I don't think you could discern the difference between the two cars on the track either - with the exception that the LS OEM tires (when new) are better than the OEM Boss tires and I think this would account for almost all the difference.

In case you think I am biased - maybe the opposite. I have both a 2012 and a 2013 LS. I bought the LS models for a little more exclusivity and a perception that depreciation may be slightly less on the LS in the mid to long term - mitigating the purchase price difference.

LS has no back seats, if that is an issue. I have not driven the LS, but on the track based on my tire wear I believe the regular Boss is significantly under damped in the front. But for street use and occasional track use, unless you really want the rear brace or the LS just appeals for other reasons as it does for CoolTech, the regular one is a great car. LS usually has a lot more markup too, so the price difference (at least around here) is a lot more than the difference in MSRP. The available colors is also an issue, if you don't like the LS colors. You can add the ducts, scoop and most of the other stuff to the regular Boss pretty easily.

CoolTechLLC said:
I bought the LS models for a little more exclusivity and a perception that depreciation may be slightly less on the LS in the mid to long term - mitigating the purchase price difference.
Excellent point and I think that's spot on. If I didn't have kids I probably would have bought a LS but not with ADM.

zzyzx

Steve
It really depends on what you want to do - if this will be your track car and/or this will just be a weekend toy, then get the LS.

If not, then get the regular Boss.

A decent set of tires will set you back $1500, and LS tires are R-compounds which means daily driving on them is not cheap - they won't last long.

There are a number of other upgrades on the LS that make it more track-ready that are IMO worth the money.

I went with the LS for several reasons.
1. Color. I'm just not really into bright color cars and didn't want white. The black and gray combo on the 13 LS is the best looking IMO.
2. Exclusivity. As CoolTech said earlier.
3. No back seat. I don't have any kids. I do have a grandson but that is a different story. I didn't want to be chauffeur for my friends. I knew people would want to ride in the Boss but "Sorry Bro, I only have one seat. Someone else will have to be the DD."

Cons: I'm not looking forward to replacing the stock tires on the LS. Ouch.

It will probably be a few years before I really start to track the car. Until I graduate I just can't swing the $, so the LS will just be a street ride and head turner.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. It is up to you and what you are looking for in a vehicle. Enjoy.

Mike

Thought this thread would be a good place to pose this question on the LS.

The grey accents are on the wheels, rear spoiler, front grill and mirror caps....what about the front splitter, is it black or grey as well?? Do I have this correctly? I am painting these pieces and changing the BOSS stripe to LS stripe - personal preference and LS not available in Canada.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks for all the input guys. This is exactly what I was looking for as far as info. The car wont be a daily driver so the LS sounds like the toy for me. Now I have to decide on yellow or black.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
CoolTechLLC said:
Good question. I have a good amount of seat time in both. I'd bet you any amount of money that in a blind ride-along comparison you would never be able to tell the difference.

Not sure if I agree with this one, but all of our driving styles may have a bearing on this. Some things come immediately to mind:

1) I don't think the LS exhibits as much brake dive as a non-LS.
2) The brake cooling lines in an LS make a huge difference in front caliper temps. My front calipers run cooler than my rears due to those hoses.
3) No data on this but it's hard to think that the X braxe has no positive effect in stiffening the chassis when quick left/right transitions in chicanes are executed.
4) Just a guess, but the LS's seem to report less MT-82 issues than other Bosses. Tranny cooling duct effect ?
5) Hard to think the front splitter and rear wing have no effect also....

I'm trying not to be biased even though I admittedly own an LS (I've driven non-LS's), All that said, is it worth the extra coin ? That's a personal judgement call. Can you turn a Boss into an LS? Talk to 5 DOT 0 ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel