The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Heartland Motorsports Park -- weekend of October 26-27, NASA Central Region Championships
Full GP , 2.5 mile course
2013 Boss 302S #018
G-Loc pads, 315/30/18 BFG gforce R1S rubber , on Apex 18x11 wheels

Qualified on the Pole for Saturdays Race ( first time in the Boss S )
Won said race overall , so a good day

Lap time of 1:47.406 was my best at Topeka with the Boss, and first race there on the BFG gforce R1S rubber.
Bad ass and congratulations! Bet that felt good :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Before Nick shows me up I'll get this one in
Daytona International Road Course
2018 Mustang GT PPL2
ARH Headers, FPRP GT350 sway bars, BMR Springs Corsa 3" Exhaust Mid Atlantic Performance tune, Michelin S9M 305/680-18 Slicks
2:04.77/168.9 mph top speed.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, Steve, I too got waxed by BlackBoss's Beast, but it is one super well sorted machine and the pilot can make her fly. But that being said, your time and speed in a Mustang GT PP2 is really commendable and obvious to me and others, you are one fast shoe yourself!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Buttonwillow CW13 12/14/19
SavetheManuals -- '12 Boss/RS4 275 square/Koni Yellows/Steeda Boss Springs -- 2:01.49 (CW13)

Slowly getting closer to sub-2 at Buttonwillow! Morning sessions were wet and slippery but managed some 2:01.xxs in the afternoon. Very happy with what this car can do in much less than ideal mechanical condition, especially compared to the newer S550s, although I don't think I'll ever catch the crazy Italian Stang @flyhalf.
Once the track dried up a bit and the tires got some temperature in them the RS4s were solid, allowing me to still run my fastest times at the end of each session without any cooldown laps in between. That won't be the case once the ambient temps go back up but I am happy with the performance for now considering the impressive wear rate.

IMG_20191214_153215.jpgIMG_20191214_153402.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been a long time since I ran at Buttonwillow, but the track is stuck in my mind and that was one pretty run - congrats. Interested to hear more about the A052s, as I recommended these to some friends over a year ago, but they were a bit hard to acquire at times. Now with their killer appearance at the Solo Nationals garnering a bunch of trophies more and more are using them, though primarily it appears for autocrossing. Couple of guys tell me they are okay at a road course but they go away too quickly , but neither has a Mustang, so would love to hear your comments as it gives TMO guys one more good option.

It was a weird day.
Very wet in the morning mud second session. 3rd session dry.
3rd session i saw 1. 55 twice at lap4 and 6. Then once i found traffic. While the second time...i had the GT4 behind and...well i went off :) (pressure!)
I started thinking they weren't good but 3rd session amd right psi showed me their potential. I think they are good. Maybe better then re71 (my lap with re71 here was a 56.6 but 85f out)
Fpr sure yokos allows you to push all laps. Impossible with re71.
Also the wearing seems promising. We will see next year. I bring them at thill january.0f8f5e94abc3f2b20dedcd2e959044ed.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good to hear, as I know some of the guys have tried the BFG Rival S 1.5 tires and found decent grip levels for road course lap sessions. I suspected the Yokes would be the sleeper, but as sticky as they are on little cars , the wear on a Mustang was likely questionable. If that is Speed Ben Sloss behind you then of course you need to get out of his way, ha,ha. The GT4s are insane on track and frankly getting a lawn chair set up next to the track , with a beer or some of Napa's finest and just listening to that machine fly by lap after lap , would be a wonderful afternoon in itself.

Kind of cool that for the guys wanting to drive to the track , there are three really decent 200 TWR tires out there now. Granted they may each have limitations on wear, when the compound gets greasy, and availability, but the tire wars for Autocrossing is carrying over to solid benefits for road course warriors.

Top three 200 TRW tires for the track, not in any order , appear to be;
BFG Rival S 1.5
Yokohama A052
Bridgestone RE 71s

For DOT Competition , would suggest ;
BFG gforce R1 S
Hoosier R7s
Hoosier A7s

For slicks , suggestion would be;
Used Michelin or Pirelli slicks from World Challenge or IMSA Series races , which are available from various sources selling these take offs.

Ben is great! I was like "show him I can do it show him! Then misteriously the asphault ran off [emoji28]
With saturday
This year I tried 7 different tires!
PS 4S michelin
NITTO NT01
3R
RE71
CUP2
Yokos
Kuhmo
This year for me has been a "discover year" .
I wanted to know and learn as much as I could. I'll make a post with my impressions on those 7 tires.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors