The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Okay , Flyhalf, not sure how I missed your measly 7 second improvement at Thunderhill, man I just expected more from you ,ha,ha. Killer improvement and you had to be stoked after that, and for those folks wondering , how did the Yokes hold up? Are you running a 18x10 , as figured you could go to 315/18 with the A052.
@flyhalf I'm interested in how the A052s are holding up as well, I need a new tire for this season. Also depends on which class you will be in for AMC, if you're still in street I might move to modified and have a much better chance of getting on the podium 😅

@flyhalf I'm interested in how the A052s are holding up as well, I need a new tire for this season. Also depends on which class you will be in for AMC, if you're still in street I might move to modified and have a much better chance of getting on the podium 😅

Not doing AMC this year :)
This pic are for 3 trackdays. 11 session.
I went sub 55 in buttonwillow yesterday :)
Great tires

20200210_094458.jpg

20200210_093929.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
@flyhalf that's great news for me! And nice work at Buttonwillow!
Thanks for sharing, that tire wear isn't too shabby for that performance, I might have to give them a shot!
I'm still tempted to go back to NT01s though since they are still faster than anything else I've been driving and they're so durable and handle the heat from our heavy cars so well.
I'm only on 18x10s so I am somewhat size limited.

How were those tires? I know they had a drift compound; I assume these are not that compound! I have a friend in a Miata considering those tires but I don't know much about them.
I got these tires with the wheels 2nd hand, so decided to run them off... I can only compare them to Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 regarding other 200 tw tires. These are as quick, If not slightly quicker than those, but have not lasted as long. I also ran some Pirelli DH slicks (305/680/18) with 14-18 heat cycles and I was actually 1.3 sec quicker on these SUR4G tires. Those slicks were toast to be fair.
All in all, very impressed. Clicked off 1:47 at CMP on these same tires... they actually have quite a bit of usage on them already! I think I will see 5 track days out of them. But they came lightly used.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Chuckwalla CW 2/8/20
SavetheManuals -- '12 Boss/RS4 275 square/Koni Yellows/Steeda Boss Springs -- 2:06.3

First time at Chuckwalla and I loved it! The track is in great condition and it's a very fun track. Similar to Buttonwillow in a lot of ways, but not quite as challenging. Bonus that I don't have to drive through LA to get there and back.
Was a busy day with lots of traffic (wasn't in open passing group since it was my first time at the track) so I didn't get too many clean laps but I'm still happy with that for my first time at the track.
I did get an "optimal" time of 2:04.4 and I know there's room to improve my setup and my driving as I learn the track. Looking forward to getting back there 3/21 with the American Muscle Cup group.
Unfortunately my RS4s started to chunk by the end of the day; I was definitely overdriving the rears to compensate for my lack of front end grip. Prior to that they had been handling the heat well and wearing like iron through 3 track days and a bunch of canyon runs. My guess is with a wider size and without overdriving them these tires would have managed many more track days, at least 8 or 10 total, and I am really hard on tires.
IMG_20200208_110958.jpgIMG_20200208_165908.jpg

Track: Buttonwillow cw13
Time: 1:54:667 ( for some reason the video stops 1tent later.)
Car: Mustang 18 pp1 10speed
Tires: A052 yoko, 295/35/18 all around
Suspension: JRi Cortex double Adjustable Coilovers, sway bar eibach
Brakes : ferodo DS.Uno

Car is very Bumby and Coilovers ar far to be dialed in.. but still 0.6 sec faster that my previous record.
I think once my set up is Dialed in a 53 is doable. waiting of course to try the hoosier A7

ongrid shootoput 1.PNG

Track: (ECR) New Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.7(CCW)
Date: 23 Feb 2020
Best Time: 2:09.79

Source: AIM Solo II
2017 Mustang GT/PP:
OEM Ford - Tune
Tires: RE71S 305/30/19
Tire pressures (hot): 38
Springs: Ford Performance
Dampers OEM
Swaybar settings: whiteline full soft front/rear
AdvanceTrac: OFF
Brakes Gloc R12/R10
I’m still learning the new layout, but it is a blast. There is still a lot left in the car once I figure out the correct line.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Charlotte, NC
Last fall I got on track at "http://www.waterfordhills.com/".

Ran a 1.23.2, with plenty left on the table, but 6 seconds of the ACR viper lap record is pretty respectable for a street tire, no downforce, first time on that track outing. I am really proud how far I have taken this car, not bad for a 23 year old POS.

Track: Sonoma Raceway
Date: 08/04/2019
Best Time: 01:48.39
Source: AiM SOLO2 DL + SmaryCam
Car: 2017 GT350
Tires: Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R (305 Square)
Wheels: Signature Forged SV702 19X11
Suspension: FP Springs // FP Sways
Aero: GT250 Wing, FP350s splitter
Power: Bone Stock

Laps 8-9 were my faster laps this session (including my PB) fast forward in the video to 13:25 for the fast laps. The car has a '46 or '47 in it with flushed fluids and newer tires and me driving. Much lower with a better driver.

How long did these Goodyear supercar 3R lasted ? How many track days. Were you happy with them? I am thinking about getting a set. I have the same car and square wheel set up.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well since this is not the kind of Forum where cussing is necessary, I will go with Holy, Holy, Holy Crap, 1:26.1 at Autobahn South. Was there last October and not sure a single door slammer of any kind was within 5 seconds - rule of thumb is a second is 10 car lengths on a 2 mile track. Since Autobahn South is just a bit over 2 miles long even a super run would put competition 50 cars lengths back per lap , er..........that's right , no one was even within 5 seconds , though one guy was pretty close.

In fact with over 150 cars at the event only a 1200+ pound Radical SR3 , which can have up to 275 bhp, ran quicker , and barely a second at that.

The other tracks on there are spectacular, and some really are geared for the warp speeds of the PAE Stang, but Autobahn Country Club Course is a fun , safe , gentlemanly course with decent speeds , but not overly beneficial to giant hp and solid weight. Well PAE proved that wrong ---congrats!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Buttonwillow 13CW 5/10/20
SavetheManuals -- '12 Boss/A052 295 square/Koni Yellows/Steeda Boss Springs/GLoc R12/8 -- 2:00.5

New PB, but really wanted sub 2. There is definitely more time in the new tires, especially in cooler temps. Drove about half the day on my old RS4s to get the car set up properly and save the A052s so by the time I put the A052s on it was already too hot (~95) and I had developed a really bad vibration and clunk that I couldn't find at the track.
Turns out my camber plates need new bearings and the car is due for a new clutch and trans rebuild anyway so it will be a while until my next track day but should faster after that for sure, just being able to use 5th gear should help drop some time.

TMO Supporting Vendors