The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@ddozier

Great times Dave. Didn't realize that was you in the white Stang, or I would have come and said Hi!

Still learning how to drive the GT500, but it is an amazing package. Great Transmission and Brakes, and doesn't feel like it's 4100 lbs.

Road America, Stock GT500 on well worn PSC2 Street tires was a 2:28.1

Best predictive time was mid 26's, so more work to do :) But as Dave said Track conditions were not ideal. Next year!!

Always a great event by Northwoods Shelby Club

Rjg4ETkmR4KezYCWtxeRaw.jpg .
Not the fastest lap, but the best video:

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Road America on a hot weekend. Three quick laps, not my fastest of the weekend but a rare chance at three flyers with minimal traffic. It was 91* and full sun, track was slower than usual but still managed my person best for the weekend on Saturday 7/4/2020 1st AM session when it was only 79*. Added the Steeda 2 pc rotors for this event and even with the heat the brake feel is much better than on the OE rotors. Pad wear looks to be better as well. Now just need to see how the rotors themselves hold up.

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT/PP "The Deuce"
Track/Course: Road America with Northwoods Shelby Club 07-03-2020
This Session Best Lap Time: 2:27.38
Personal Best Lap Time: 2:26.78 (on 7/4/2020)
Virtual Best Lap Time: 2.26.10
Brake Pads: XP24f XP20r
Brake Rotors: Steeda 2pc front and rear
Tires (Size & Model): Pirelli Slicks 305/680/18 square (Take-Offs)
Suspension: RideTech Coilovers
Other Mods: GT350r wing, 3" Front Splitter, Velox Diffuser, TCB Diffuser extension, Floor Panels, Stock 5.0, 18 Manifold with Headers and TCB custom exhaust, TR-3160 trans, TCB Diff Cooler, TCB OIL Cooler, TCB Trans Cooler

Dave
TrackCarBuilds.com
You were flying out there Dave. Great build and great driving.

@ddozier

Great times Dave. Didn't realize that was you in the white Stang, or I would have come and said Hi!

I did not put it together either that you were in the GT500, That thing is beautiful on the track and sounds amazing out there as well.

Dave

You were flying out there Dave. Great build and great driving.

Thanks, I had several guys in my little group that commented on your livery, very cool and boy is that thing low.

Dave

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
I'm not going to impress anyone with my lap, but after a 26 year hiatus, I was back at Road America with the Northwoods Shelby Club over the 4th.

Lap - 2:50.035

1st session I let everyone pass so I could get a feel for the S550 at speed. I cut my sessions in the afternoons to 4 laps with the heat but still fried something in my wiring harness disabling the active exhaust for the weekend. I'm thankful that's all that was affected.

At the end of the second day this was my farewell session around 5:30pm as I tried hanging with a 2019 Corvette GS but had a terrible push all weekend and was much slower in the corners. Likely a product of too little camber front and back.

I'll be back next year to redeem myself. 😎

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Track/Course: Pikes Peak International Raceway
Best Lap Time: 1:00.702
Brake Pads: Carbotech XP20/XP10
Tires (Size & Model): 315/30R18 Yokohama ADVAN A052 on 18x12 square
Mods: Comprehensive, see build thread

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with your excitement , that was major fun to watch and you were hammering the crap out of those Yokes. Nice hand dancing with the wheel , we could all feel you were on the edge but getting on the power the millisecond you felt you were able.

Pikes Peak International Raceway --- you definitely reached your " Peak" performance there, Congrats!!

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
Agree with your excitement , that was major fun to watch and you were hammering the crap out of those Yokes. Nice hand dancing with the wheel , we could all feel you were on the edge but getting on the power the millisecond you felt you were able.

Pikes Peak International Raceway --- you definitely reached your " Peak" performance there, Congrats!!
Hahaha, thanks Bill! I left that celebration in at the end on purpose - I was pumped!! Of course, now that I've had a chance to review video, I see much room for improvement - but I'm still over the moon, considering this was my first time seeing the track, but still found a way to put myself at the top of the GT class. Very much looking forward to seeing how things go when I get my revenge @ LVMS for the OUSCI event in November.

I love/hate those Yoks though. Great tires for the track (and best power-down characteristics on a 200TW tire I've ever tried); earlier testing showed I could get (3) honest laps out of them before getting greasy. But man, they do *not* last on my car for autox. Of course, having the front end locked down severely (to prevent death on the track, haha) with >1000lbs/corner isn't helping when I throw it into the corners to get the desired rotation. I'm planning to free the car up a bit, so hopefully that helps.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, hard for many of us not to share your excitement , as I am sure others have had that feeling too. Congrats on the run and interesting on the Yokes as it is becoming pretty well known around Nebraska that the useable cone to cone life is mega short.
I think the info you provided though will be helpful to those not mega serious Time Trialers or HPDE drivers , because 3 laps and greasy is not what many will want to experience. Doing what you do, only a few laps is all you will get , so super sticky is what you want to experience.

PS -- damn , does your Stang sound killer, loved listening to it wind up!!

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2020 Shelby GT350
Track/Course: Heartland Motorsports Park, Topeka KS
Best Lap Time: 1:55.689
Brake Pads: Stock
Tires (Size & Model): Stock Michelin Sport Cup 2, 305/295
Mods: All stock, well I did put on a Ford Performance air filter so that's something...

Track/Course: Raceway Park of the Midlands, Iowa
Best Lap Time: 1:44.819
Tires (Size & Model): Bridgestone RE71's 305/30-19 square
Had a fun day at RPM on Friday. It was HOT out so only did a few hot laps each session while minding the temps. The track is bumpy in some places but it really makes a couple of sweepers more fun as you feel the car squirm when the tires unload. My camera mount was also looser than normal so the video is really shaky. I know I can drop some time with better braking and smoother corner exits but I'm still super happy with this car!

2013 Boss 302
MM K-member, custom watts link, MM lower rear control arms, CobraJet Cams/Intake/Throttle Body/Air Intake, Bassani Full-length headers, Bassani 3" Exhaust, KB Shocks/Struts, Toyo Proxes 888R

Summit Point Main 3/13/20 - 1:24.53
E04440D3-BAC0-402A-A417-2919A803C145_1_105_c.jpeg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2002 Mustang Roush Stage 2, 4.6 2v, 5 speed
Track/Course: Grandsport Speedway(no horseshoe), Hitchcock, TX
Best Lap Time: 56.32
Tires (Size & Model): 275/35-18 Pirelli P-Zero
Mods: K-member, Steeda springs, Steeda sway bars, longtubes, intake, tune

This was a couple years ago, sorry for the terrible video quality.

Track/Course: Raceway Park of the Midlands, Iowa
Best Lap Time: 1:44.819
Tires (Size & Model): Bridgestone RE71's 305/30-19 square
Had a fun day at RPM on Friday. It was HOT out so only did a few hot laps each session while minding the temps. The track is bumpy in some places but it really makes a couple of sweepers more fun as you feel the car squirm when the tires unload. My camera mount was also looser than normal so the video is really shaky. I know I can drop some time with better braking and smoother corner exits but I'm still super happy with this car!

Nice run, waiting for my GT350 so I can get some laps in out there since that track is less than an hour away from me. I think my best time in the boss out there last year was a 1:40, so hoping to be high 30's in the GT350 since it has more power and better suspension.

One day event, full track layout with MVP Track Time, lots of traffic, perfect weather and a lot of fun. Finally got to put together 3 laps without massive traffic jams. This is a very hard track to get a clean lap. Even if traffic is light there are so many turns, braking zones, and short straights that I find it nearly impossible to string together the perfect lap. Always a good time and still quite a challenge Autobahn Country Club is a blast. Based on the Virtual Best Lap Time these is a lot of room for improvement.

Track/Course: Autobahn Country Club w/ MVP Track Time 8-3-2020
Personal Best Lap Time: 2:36.49 (on 8/3/2020)
Virtual Best Lap Time: 2.34.67 (Lots of work to do)
Tires (Size & Model): Pirelli Slicks 305/680/18 square (Take-Offs - 11 sessions old)
Other Mods: GT350r wing, 3" Front Splitter, Velox Diffuser, TCB Diffuser extension, Floor Panels, Stock 5.0, 18 Manifold with Headers and TCB custom exhaust, TR-3160 trans, TCB Diff Cooler, TCB OIL Cooler, TCB Trans Cooler

One day event, full track layout with MVP Track Time, lots of traffic, perfect weather and a lot of fun. Finally got to put together 3 laps without massive traffic jams. This is a very hard track to get a clean lap. Even if traffic is light there are so many turns, braking zones, and short straights that I find it nearly impossible to string together the perfect lap. Always a good time and still quite a challenge Autobahn Country Club is a blast. Based on the Virtual Best Lap Time these is a lot of room for improvement.

Track/Course: Autobahn Country Club w/ MVP Track Time 8-3-2020
Personal Best Lap Time: 2:36.49 (on 8/3/2020)
Virtual Best Lap Time: 2.34.67 (Lots of work to do)
Tires (Size & Model): Pirelli Slicks 305/680/18 square (Take-Offs - 11 sessions old)

2:36 is a really good time For full. Im going tomorrow for the south track and Saturday for north. People forget when Going through “patience” hug the right side a lot more so you have a better entry into the left hander.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors