The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, cmon Steve the tranny is only around $25,000 and your cars are both worth at least $26,000 --- whoops, forgot about installation, haha.
Seriously both your machines are well worth more than that , but those sequential transmissions are pricey. It is a glorious sound that pairs so well with the Ford engine, kind of like an orchestral sound of music for the Machinehead!

I could sell the Boss then buy the Hollinger and put it in the space where the Boss was. At least I would still have something to drool over :p

That Hollinger sounds so nice.....and not having to deal with the notchy MT-82 would be a dream. But 25K for another "stupid car part" would get me an immediate divorce and then I wouldn't have a car either.

I believe there are a couple of other sequential options. I recall a very nice S197 build by Fall-Line Motorsports that used a sequential and it wasn't Hollinger. Would love to know if a bolt in kit is available.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Other trouble with Hollinger is a pretty short rebuild schedule that is pretty expensive.

Same as the FP350S motor, that one has a 40 hour rebuild interval that includes replacing pistons, rings, valves and a lot of other expensive stuff, almost everything but the block and heads. And the block is recommended to be replaced every 2 years.

People often overlook the cost of things down the road, the price to get in the door is only the start. I learned a long time ago that one of the most important things in racing cars is to have either deep pockets or access to someone who has deep pockets and wants to give you some of it.

But my god do those two things ever make beautiful music!

People often overlook the cost of things down the road, the price to get in the door is only the start. I learned a long time ago that one of the most important things in racing cars is to have either deep pockets or access to someone who has deep pockets and wants to give you some of it.

But my god do those two things ever make beautiful music!

Just so. Buying a race car is just the beginning. The maintenance costs can exceed the cost of the car over time. An F1 car costs about $1000/lap in maintenance.

In the case of the GT4 I believe the transmission and engine service interval is 10K kms. The GT4 engine is a variant of the Aluminator motor, cross-plane rather than the flat plane crank. Reason: the GT4 series limits the car to about 450HP and there is no benefit to the extra revs the FP motor offers.

Track: Sonoma Raceway
Time: 1:51.393
Car: 2016 GT350, Track Package
Wheels: 19x11 Vibe Motorsports Forged
Tires: 305/30/19 RE-71R
Suspension: Vorshlag CC plates (-2.7F, -2.1R), FP Lowering Springs

My first time back at Sonoma in over 2 years and I got a new PB! Beat my old time by 4 seconds. I almost got it down under 1:50 on the next lap but messed up coming out of Turn 7. Gonna have to wait until next time! My tires are getting close to end of life so I think with better driving and fresh tires I can definitely bring it down below 1:50 next time out. 🤞

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
2 new PBs from my double header weekend at Streets and Buttonwillow:

12/5/20 Streets of Willow CW
SavetheManuals--12 Boss/A052 295 Rear/AD08R 265 Front/Koni Yellow/--1:25.7

12/26/20 Buttonwillow 13CW
SavetheManuals--12 Boss/A052 295 Square/Koni Yellow/no RSB--1:59.3
Finally went sub 2! Had some 1:58s on the table but either hit traffic or messed up Sunset 🤦‍♂️

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great pic, with two of my absolute favorite machines ------Viper and Mustang!! Congrats on being the swiftest Stang out there !!

Always appreciate the track videos while so many of us are confined to just looking at our Race Ride in Hibernation.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve,
Did you break? That was a couple of awesome laps you put in, and I hope everything is OK.
No, I have a Mass Air correlation error P0068 that is either an air leak, a bad MAF sensor or a bad TB. Or someone suggested the JLT CAI may be allowing too straight a shot of airflow that when I close the throttle coming off the banking into turn one the air is bouncing off the throttle plate and passing back over the MAF. I think I have an air leak, have to track it down.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
No, I have a Mass Air correlation error P0068 that is either an air leak, a bad MAF sensor or a bad TB. Or someone suggested the JLT CAI may be allowing too straight a shot of airflow that when I close the throttle coming off the banking into turn one the air is bouncing off the throttle plate and passing back over the MAF. I think I have an air leak, have to track it down.
I guess the old trick of spraying ether is kind of tough to do at those speeds. Maybe I could ride on your hood and spray it as you lift at 167mph. I'll be sure to wear a helmet.:rolleyes:

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
PB Auto Club Speedway

Dennis DiLucente 2012 Boss/RE-71R/285.35.19 Squared/CORTEX Watts/Brembo 380mm GT Brakes 1:54.022

View attachment 60821
Great meeting you Dennis - really enjoyed learning more about your Boss. Congrats on the PB! Are you signed up for Jan 9 & 10? Knocking on the door of 53’s, should be great weather to reset that PB if it isn’t raining!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
San Diego
Thanks Tom.......that PB is one third vehicle; one third luck and one third hanging out with helpful fellow Mustangers. You guys really helped me clean-up some bad habits in turns 5 & 6. I will not be there in January. I cancelled once Speed Ventures committed to a full year at Auto Club....figured to stretch out my track dollars throughout 2021. Looks like good weather and a sold out Speed Ventures event....enjoy!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel