The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
You don't have to be kidding. Racing W2W is crazy competitive, and you should have a chip on your shoulder. The times you are putting down with 16 year old architecture and beautifully cobbled together parts is impressive. Much more impressive than the buy it and track it crowd. The same goes for the majority of people on this site. Making a Mustang turn is not simple.
I was just kidding about the ford vs Chevy thing....the corvettes are indeed a fine piece of engineering.
Definitely an easier time making it track ready. If I was going to build a track car at this point and I had a choice, I would not have chosen an s197. But, it's what I had and I love the body style so it is what it is and I make it work.
For me, the fun is in the details, obsessing over every possibility and constantly optimizing everything I can and then re shuffling the deck and trying different approaches to see what pays better dividends. I just wish we had more time on track to do this. We typically get 2) 15 min qualifiers and 2) 20-25 min races and no practice once a month. When I was racing oval track I might be on track 8 times a day, every weekend. Bigger races are 3 days of of racing, add that up. Lots of opportunity to test and tweak things to perfection. The current racing discipline just means everything takes a lot longer to get right. BUT, I am making progress, so there's that.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I agree with Mr. Fab to a point, but having raced Vipers , Spec Miatas, and Instructed in numerous vehicles and driven them, unlike him I did choose an S197. The situation with a Mustang is so many of the folks we compete against think it is just an unsophisticated slab of American Automotive Architecture , mainly designed as a Secretary's car and not capable on track like a Porsche, Corvette, BMW, etc. We ( Mustang Owners ) sometimes echo similar sentiments that it might not be their first choice for a track car , but it was what they had or what they could afford. The surprise is that it is such an Overdog ( others soon find out it is not an Underdog ) which is pretty easy to get parts , update, work on, repair, with a unbelievable amount of support from Vendors , Corporate, and racing/competition companies. So, yes, I choose the Mustang, I choose it for the reasonable cost to race in an expensive sport, the surprising balance on track and for the folks who drive them.

I think Fabman feels pretty much the same, and I probably took his minor comment out of context, but I also think there is a kernel of truth that many do not place the Stand as choice number one. Yet, after running one for awhile it does rank well with others and the fun is surprising the naysayers on track --- outbraking, out cornering, out accelerating, and out running some many makes on a road course. Underdog to many, we know she is an Overdog and surprising others is fun.

Not saying there are not other great and fun track machines, just saying there is a passion with this machine that drove many of us to purchase it and the pleasure in surprising others on track make it even more fun!!

There are plenty of other cars I like and even another I love, but the passion for this Steed is pretty high in my book ------ at the SCCA Solo Nationals there was a distinct majority of CAMC drivers running Mustangs!!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I agree with Mr. Fab to a point, but having raced Vipers , Spec Miatas, and Instructed in numerous vehicles and driven them, unlike him I did choose an S197. The situation with a Mustang is so many of the folks we compete against think it is just an unsophisticated slab of American Automotive Architecture , mainly designed as a Secretary's car and not capable on track like a Porsche, Corvette, BMW, etc. We ( Mustang Owners ) sometimes echo similar sentiments that it might not be their first choice for a track car , but it was what they had or what they could afford. The surprise is that it is such an Overdog ( others soon find out it is not an Underdog ) which is pretty easy to get parts , update, work on, repair, with a unbelievable amount of support from Vendors , Corporate, and racing/competition companies. So, yes, I choose the Mustang, I choose it for the reasonable cost to race in an expensive sport, the surprising balance on track and for the folks who drive them.

I think Fabman feels pretty much the same, and I probably took his minor comment out of context, but I also think there is a kernel of truth that many do not place the Stand as choice number one. Yet, after running one for awhile it does rank well with others and the fun is surprising the naysayers on track --- outbraking, out cornering, out accelerating, and out running some many makes on a road course. Underdog to many, we know she is an Overdog and surprising others is fun.

Not saying there are not other great and fun track machines, just saying there is a passion with this machine that drove many of us to purchase it and the pleasure in surprising others on track make it even more fun!!

There are plenty of other cars I like and even another I love, but the passion for this Steed is pretty high in my book ------ at the SCCA Solo Nationals there was a distinct majority of CAMC drivers running Mustangs!!!!
Let me clarify my remark. I would either choose an sn95 for its light weight or an s550 for its superior suspension. The s197 has neither of those advantages. Yes it’s a decent track car but it’s heavy and has a stick axel which are both limiting factors. Regardless, I am getting the job done with what I have and I do love my beloved FrankenStang. There is more speed in there and I’m finding it bit by bit. What, did you think I was gonna say I’d rather have a corvette? Oh HELL NO….

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry , I know you are passionate about Frankenstang, as we all love da beast, I was clarifying something for all of us that probably did not need to be clarified. Sorry my passion got in the way and now back to our regularly scheduled programming ----- Track Times.

Last edited:
KUKeeper30 - 2003 Mustang GT, gen-2 Coyote, 275-width RS4's (using up some old tires - 2017 date codes), full MM catalog suspension, 3.73 rear gear, T2R diff

1:42.6 @ Gingerman

Matt Smith

5ohPony
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Sonoma, CA
THUNDERHILL RACEWAY PARK (5-MILE INCLUDING CYCLONE, WEST BYPASS)
5ohPony - 1989 Mustang LX (Southworst Racing) Griggs PHB TA rear, SFCs, modified stock k-member, Koni struts all around, 306 SBF, T5WC, 8.8 Truetrac (3.55's), running on 275/40-17 Falken 615K+ (race lap 16 on 11/24/2019) 03:21.27

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I finally went to the track!

Track: Heartland Motorsports Park(Full Course)
Time: 1:58.8
Car: 2002 Mustang Roush Stage 2
Wheels: Konig Dekagram 18x10.5
Tires: Yokohama A052 295/35-18
Suspension: Full MM, Koni SA, Torque Arm/PHB

My first time on track with this car since it was mostly stock. My first lap I had a 4 off because the front brakes were locking up. I took it very easy on the brakes the whole day after that so there is tons of time to be made up. I also didn't have a great line or plan through turn 1 off the front straight.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
sfs32ccobra ----wow, killer times at Putnam, RA, and Mid Ohio. Have not run any of those tracks for over 15 years and.............I was slower than that at all three , ha.
Patient --- I need to get down to Topeka some time when you and others are there ( check out drivenasa.com and then go to the Central Region ) like the Central Region NASA Championships October 23-24th. I am an Instructor and I tend to teach the racing line there and not the novice line because I believe it is inherently safer. Straighter turns and less back and forth moves , which seems to keep folks more on the track than all the wandering around to get the correct entry turn in.
Matt - envy you getting to run Thunderhill because I only got to run the original track. I has to be fun to run the longest track in the US , since the full asphalt rambling is over 5 miles long!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I guess there were several of us at Charlotte this weekend. My first time back there in probably 20 years
Got down to a 1:31.748, thanks Duane! BMR springs and stop the hop, Steeda Camber plates, 19X11 w/305-30/19 GY SC3. CarboTech XP20 front/stock rear pads
2v2atfLvNx1Ybjq.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors