The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
First time out with the Garmin Catalyst.
Mustang GT, Ohlins, BFG Rival 1.5s. 2:15:97. VIR full course. It was my passenger's first time out. He really enjoyed it and I have added a new addict. 😂 BTW...I think I can be a lot faster with more accelerator. I notice that I coast more than I should. Gotta break that. But I do think my inputs were smooth. The Garmin says that my Optimal is 2:14, but I think I have at least a 2:12 in me somewhere before I get stickier tires.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2011 GT 5.0
Track/Course: Gingerman
Best Lap Time: 1:48.53
Tire: 305/680/R19 - Conti Slicks
Suspension: Tons of cortex bits, JRi coils
Brakes: 4pto Brembos, St47 front St43 rear
Super tough track. My Garmin optimal was a 1.46, need to go back and work on 7-8-9, and 10b. All way different that anything else I have run.

CA
some really good times with that power level , 200tw and no aero. Keep it up!

how do you like the ecf’s?
Thank you! One of the fastest street legal 3v's on the west coast for sure. It's fun to be on pace with coyote cars that are basically +100whp from me 💪

The ECF's have been great. Basically think of them as like Hankook RS4+'s. They are a little bit faster than NT01's but so far are wearing better. The autocrosser 200tw's are indeed much faster (AO-52's, RT-660's, RE-71R's, etc.) but those wear like crap and have no thermal capacity in my experience.

Only issue so far is they are really expensive. For them to be justified cost wise I need to get 12+ events out of them (NT01's I got 9). I'm at 6 events now and I think they'll be able to make it based on the wear I'm seeing.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thank you! One of the fastest street legal 3v's on the west coast for sure. It's fun to be on pace with coyote cars that are basically +100whp from me 💪

The ECF's have been great. Basically think of them as like Hankook RS4+'s. They are a little bit faster than NT01's but so far are wearing better. The autocrosser 200tw's are indeed much faster (AO-52's, RT-660's, RE-71R's, etc.) but those wear like crap and have no thermal capacity in my experience.

Only issue so far is they are really expensive. For them to be justified cost wise I need to get 12+ events out of them (NT01's I got 9). I'm at 6 events now and I think they'll be able to make it based on the wear I'm seeing.
Assuming 4 sessions per event, that's nearly 50 heat cycles. Are you concerned about them cycling out before you hit the 12 event mark?

CA
Assuming 4 sessions per event, that's nearly 50 heat cycles. Are you concerned about them cycling out before you hit the 12 event mark?
Yes, per Continental/Hoosier themselves (they had a really great 45minute tech clinic on the tires), in most test cases the tires heat cycled out before they reached the chords. However, they were very proud of the fact that heat cycled tires were only ~somewhat~ slower than a fresh set. I want to say they claimed around 1s on a 2 minute course.

I am expecting them to be like RS4's: they aren't that much slower once heat cycled out, but turn into brittle rocks when cold and take forever to heat up.

The compound itself is a Hoosier developed endurance compound, the carcass of the tire itself is continental. Hoosier design scope for the compound was consistency and longevity over the entire life of the tire, not just for 1 event. IE, a compound that can handle heat cycles.

I realize this probably sounds like a marketing ad, but I can't stress how happy I have been with these tires so far for just HPDE. Yet, nobody seems to be talking about them. I think it's because they are expensive, aren't fast (compared to super 200TW), and are "new" (therefore not much info on them).

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Yes, per Continental/Hoosier themselves (they had a really great 45minute tech clinic on the tires that I geeked out on), in most test cases the tires heat cycled out before they reached the chords. However, they were very proud of the fact that heat cycled tires were only ~somewhat~ slower than a fresh set. I want to say they said around 1s on a 2 minute course.

I am expecting them to be like RS4's: they aren't that much slower once heat cycled out, but turn into brittle rocks when cold and take forever to heat up.

The compound itself is a Hoosier developed endurance compound, the carcass of the tire itself is continental. Hoosier design scope for the compound was consistency and longevity over the entire life of the tire, not just for 1 event. IE, a compound that can handle heat cycles.

I realize this probably sounds like a marketing ad, but I can't stress how happy I have been with these tires so far for just HPDE. Yet, nobody seems to be talking about them. I think it's because they are expensive, aren't fast (compared to super 200TW), and are "new" (therefore not much info on them).
I've heard good reviews about them. I think it's the price and newness of them. NT01s aren't fast either but people still love those.
I'm currently using Toyo RR's for seat-time tires. Extremely cheap for a set.
Also curious to try Rival S 1.5 and Kumho V730

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I've heard good reviews about them. I think it's the price and newness of them. NT01s aren't fast either but people still love those.
Agree with everything @SMGDHG has stated above on the ECF’s. I was a bit critical on pace initially, but was pleasantly surprised at ACS with a few mid-1:50.xx laps a couple weeks ago - about a tenth off PB. This was on the 10th heat cycle or so and wear has been really good.

CA
If you are looking for just a seat time tire (which TBH I am too), these are somewhat new and are cheap. I was likely going to try these next:

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
If you are looking for just a seat time tire (which TBH I am too), these are somewhat new and are cheap. I was likely going to try these next:

Sadly, they don't have the size I need in 19"....I need to get a set of 18" wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors