The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That was pretty , sure looked like you hit all your marks! I wonder what a set of 315/30/19 Hoosiers would do for you .....2:04? Thanks for posting as the majority of TMO members viewing this are just envious you got to run Watkins Glen, I know I am!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2011 GT 5.0
Track/Course: Blackhawk Farms
Best Lap Time: 1.23.64
Tire: 305/680/R19 - Conti Slicks
Suspension: Tons of cortex bits, JRi coils
Brakes: 4pto Brembos, St47 front St43 rear
First time to this track with this new car. Going back in August and going to push for the teens.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
That was pretty , sure looked like you hit all your marks! I wonder what a set of 315/30/19 Hoosiers would do for you .....2:04? Thanks for posting as the majority of TMO members viewing this are just envious you got to run Watkins Glen, I know I am!
@Black Boss and @2012-Boss were in the 2:02s for their bests. My car is capable of getting there, Turn 9a is where I lose loads of time, can't find the balls to carry more speed through and get to throttle early enough on exit. Will have the 315 hoosiers and sticker Michelins for the October NASA race event though.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
New personal best for me as well.
Laguna Seca:
2006 Mustang GT Coyote Swap. Full Cortex Everything on Hoosier Scrubs. 1:35.850

View attachment 77716
Just in case anyones keeping track, that’s 10 full seconds faster than my first time at laguna…..and back then I had 200 more hp.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Denver
High Plains Raceway
2019 GT350 Stock except Vorschlag Camber Plates
Goodyear supercar 3r 305/30 19 tires square on Apex SM10s
2:04:00. Second track day with this car on a open track day, so some minor traffic.
IMG_1516.PNG
I didn't get video on that PB lap because, you know, technology! But here is a 2:05 lap from my last track day. Any critique welcome.

Last edited:
Update on my Sonoma time: 1:55 in a 2019 GT350 on FP springs and Goodyear S3R tires

Seeing what others on here can do, I know I can shave off another 5+ seconds.
For your info .you are right. Sub 50 is absolutely doable.
Some points.
T1. Hold speed more. Flat till passing the apex of the wall then lift.
T2 be disciplined. Off camber turn .If u tap throttle before apex it means...you arrived too slow and feel the need to give something.
T3. Little more aggressive with throttle.(give some in between.the change in direction.
T5 is flat out and let the car go to the left (while.you remain all the way to the right)
T6 carousel. Start in the middle .nice apex but trust you and the car and flat out.
T7. Not bad. Try to be slightly closer on first apex. And on exit use all the asphalt. You pay for all lol.
Esses. Nice but little too early apex on the last one and you stay too much on the right. Use the curb on the left.
T10 can be way more aggressive. But...it is t10 so i understand
T11 instead of coasting.. apex later (after 3 set of tires.
Lines are good overall. A stock GT on 3R can do 48 . I'm sure you can get there soon!
Good job and i hope you had fun!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
First time in the Mach 1 at MPH ( Motorsport Park Hastings ), won my Class and set a time of 1:35.526 on the 2.15 mile track.
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Apex 11x19s
Apex 25mm spacer up front
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s ( 305s in front, 315s in the rear )
EBC SR11 brake pads
MGW Shift kit
LTH resonator delete
Ford Performance rear seat delete kit

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The track is definitely faster and though I am not hitting the top speeds I could with the Boss S, the new pavement gives one more confidence in high speed turns and you can brake really deep. I have to say that the Mach 1 continues to impress me, even though I have little seat time, it is a lot closer to the Boss S than I expected. Needs more HP, but the handling is insane for a car that weighs close to 2 tons with driver and a full tank. Where I would lose time on the straights I made it up on powering out out of turns -- the independent rear sits down, plants and goes. Of course since baby has some back ( and front ) it is no surprise she squats and goes, ha.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2020 GT350
Track/Course: Road Atlanta
Best Lap Time: 1:39.959 (twice, to the thousandths!)
Tires (Size & Model): 325/30R19 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3 square
Mods: suspension

My camera went pear-shaped late in the day, so I didn't get video of either session, so here's the TrackAddict shots:

Screenshot_20220817-221646_TrackAddict.jpg
Screenshot_20220817-221704_TrackAddict.jpg

I did, however, capture a low 1:40 earlier in the day chasing Everette!

Next event:

Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2020 GT350
Track/Course: Barber Motorsports Park
Best Lap Time: 1:40.259
Tires (Size & Model): 325/30R19 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3 square
Mods: suspension

I didn't get the 1:3x that I was shooting for - hot weather, rain, and boiling my brake fluid (yike!) limited my laps.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Byron, pretty obvious you are a driver who takes his time, warms up his tires and then hammers the " loud pedal ." Thanks for sharing your best run, it was fun to watch. ChipG, congrats on the 1:39 at Road Atlanta, because everyone who knows that track knows that getting into the 1:30s is an accomplishment. Bet you get over 150mph next time you are there. By the way you are cooking through the esses my friend!!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NC
Ran VIR today, TNIA event. This is my third TNIA.
2019 6spd GT PP1 - completely stock. Rear tires MPS4S, front tires p zero Nero all seasons (don’t ask)… Stock sizes 255/275.

Not sure if this is an okay lap or not but The best lap is in the picture. the front tires are shot now, extremely glazed over. Ordered a 19x10 square setup and replacing the fronts with a 275 to match the rear.

74C980EE-34C1-48AE-9E85-1C406279AD27.png

Bay Area
Ran VIR today, TNIA event. This is my third TNIA.
2019 6spd GT PP1 - completely stock. Rear tires MPS4S, front tires p zero Nero all seasons (don’t ask)… Stock sizes 255/275.

Not sure if this is an okay lap or not but The best lap is in the picture. the front tires are shot now, extremely glazed over. Ordered a 19x10 square setup and replacing the fronts with a 275 to match the rear.

View attachment 78313
Not asking about the tires but I'm sure other will agree. Don't mix match tires on the track. As far as lap time I have no idea because I am not familiar with VIR. But have fun and be safe.

TMO Supporting Vendors