The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I am so jealous of that engine. The way it pulls even at like 2.5k RPM is nuts.

Such a shame nobody made an aluminum BBB block for the 3v's.
Ford did, and it was called the Cammer 5.0. It was a 3.700 bore aluminum block. When I was doing my first build, there were like three of them left on the planet. I opted not to go that route because they don't handle supercharging well (and I wanted to leave that option on the table), they were scarce, and the prices were ridonkulous. I think the weight difference is around 60 pounds. The benefit of the torque monster is I can run VIR Full and/or Grand with only 6 shifts. That's simplicity for a guy that doesn't get a lot of track time.

Last edited:
CA
Ford did, and it was called the Cammer 5.0. It was a 3.700 bore aluminum block. When I was doing my first build, there were like three of them left on the planet. I opted not to go that route because they don't handle supercharging well (and I wanted to leave that option on the table), they were scarce, and the prices were ridonkulous. I think the weight difference is around 60 pounds. The benefit of the torque monster is I can run VIR Full and/or Grand with only 6 shifts. That's simplicity for a guy that doesn't get a lot of track time.
I have heard of that one, but sadly it is only 5.0L. And unobtanium + a pain to swap.

It would be nice if ford had a plug and play 5.3L+ rotating assembly that you could just bolt your 3v heads to. We almost got that with the BBB, but it's iron and heavy

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Los Angeles, California
Big Willow: 1:29.078 (transponder)

P1 in NASA TT3

2014 Mustang GT, Cortex/Penske coilovers, 315/30-18 Hoosier A7

That's a very good lap. You might not be looking for advice, but I'm an old guy with a lot of laps at Willow. Your car is gripping really well through turns 2 and 9, and turn 2 speed is probably the best way to judge the capability of a car at Willow. Based on your speed there, I think you could be carrying 5+ mph more through turn 1 and turn 5, plus a little more through 3. (But 3 isn't going to change your lap times as much as 1 and 5 will.)

For comparison, here's my 50-year-old car, which has street tires and less power -- but probably also a lot less weight.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
That's a very good lap. You might not be looking for advice, but I'm an old guy with a lot of laps at Willow. Your car is gripping really well through turns 2 and 9, and turn 2 speed is probably the best way to judge the capability of a car at Willow. Based on your speed there, I think you could be carrying 5+ mph more through turn 1 and turn 5, plus a little more through 3. (But 3 isn't going to change your lap times as much as 1 and 5 will.)

For comparison, here's my 50-year-old car, which has street tires and less power -- but probably also a lot less weight.

Wow!! To say I’m honored to receive feedback and tips from you would be a massive understatement, Jack!! I must have watched your Big Willow commentated lap 50 times before my first time there, and still come back to it before most return trips. I just moved up to a higher compound brake pad last week - while I’m loving the added bite, I’m still over-slowing all 3 corners you mentioned. Again, thank you for taking time to post - hope to see you around the TMO site more often!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, is right 67GTA, Jack is scooting around " Big Willow " at a killer pace!! Your time in a TT3 Machine is stellar and I am quite impressed by both your run and Jack's back in 2016. The only person I knew who ran faster in a street legal machine was a dear old friend Paul Mumford, who lost his life many years back, who ran a 1:23 in his 2000 Viper ACR ( on Hoosiers ) in 2021. This was the same Viper that he won one of the very first Ultimate Street Car Challenges ( it morphed into a lot different program today ).

Jack's run is so impressive, because even though his car is super light, with only 272 HP his run shows how momentum and precise placement rewards one with an unbelievable time. I watched it 3 times and I can understand why you viewed that run so many times. It looks like it helped, since you took that heavy machine around Willow at a very, very respectable time for a TT3 car!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Wow, is right 67GTA, Jack is scooting around " Big Willow " at a killer pace!! Your time in a TT3 Machine is stellar and I am quite impressed by both your run and Jack's back in 2016. The only person I knew who ran faster in a street legal machine was a dear old friend Paul Mumford, who lost his life many years back, who ran a 1:23 in his 2000 Viper ACR ( on Hoosiers ) in 2021. This was the same Viper that he won one of the very first Ultimate Street Car Challenges ( it morphed into a lot different program today ).

Jack's run is so impressive, because even though his car is super light, with only 272 HP his run shows how momentum and precise placement rewards one with an unbelievable time. I watched it 3 times and I can understand why you viewed that run so many times. It looks like it helped, since you took that heavy machine around Willow at a very, very respectable time for a TT3 car!!
Thanks for the kind words Bill! Here’s a link to Jack’s turn by turn guide to Big Willow. I’ve found this to be the best tutorial of any that I’ve used for any track. I try to emulate his method on other tracks of breaking down my own videos turn by turn and really study car placement. Also, his comments in this video of using the throttle to turn the car in T2 helped me to develop one of the most profound tools we have available. This is a strength of the solid axle platform, and I believe is a big part of why I can compete with GT350’s. Anyways, don’t want to drift too far from lap time discussion, but Jack’s video is just too good not to share!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nbjeeptj and Concretevol,
Looks like he both of you were upholding the TMO honor rocking around Roebling Road. Solid times by you two and I am always surprised when I see videos of the track as it has respectfully fast!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
This is one of my favorite threads. Are lap times been updated recently on pg 1? My lap time from VIR last year may just have been missed. Thanks.

Thunderhill east bypass : 1 :50.9

Another step in the right direction.
I did corrected the sway bar. Went to a softer front setup and the car FELT AMAZING.

It was a hot day. So didnt want to burn my new A7.
Used the old ones.
Went 8 tenths faster than last time.
And proud of the 110mph at turn8 🙂

87f outside
4HC hoosier A7
Wing FULCRUM 14 by AJ HARTMAN
SPLITTER ITALIA
SUSPENSION Cortex JRi DA
Racelouvers .
OZ TUNING with e85

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN

I did corrected the sway bar. Went to a softer front setup and the car FELT AMAZING.

Used the old ones.
And peoud of the 110mph at turn8 🙂

87f outside
4HC hoosier A7
SPLITTER ITALIA
SUSPENSION Cortex JRi DA
Racelouvers .
OZ TUNING with e85

I've never run there but from what I have seen before a 2 min lap is pretty good so bravo on the 1:50! That aero package must be doing some work! I keep shredding splitters so have been looking for some ideas there :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Used the old ones.
And proud of the 110mph at turn8 🙂

87f outside
4HC hoosier A7
SPLITTER ITALIA
SUSPENSION Cortex JRi DA
Racelouvers .
OZ TUNING with e85

Way to go!

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Today I only had 1 really good dry session. I think the draft off the Audi (which I scared into taking the escape road) may have helped!

Watkins Glen Full Course, 2:17.463
2013 V6 Mustang Auto
Eaton TrueTrac, 3.55 dif, Boss 302 suspension, strano bars
Steeda Wing
295/40R19 Hankook RS4

Screenshot_20230501_140451_TrackAddict.jpg

Screenshot_20230501_140457_TrackAddict.jpg

Screenshot_20230501_175953_TrackAddict.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors