The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap timer installation ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got a starlane GPS 3x lap timer for Christmas and want to get it wired up. I'm thinking a removable setup on a window suctioncup mount getting power from the ciggy lighter.

Anyone put something like this in? I'd like a few more ideas before I start soldering etc.

Keavdog said:
I got a starlane GPS 3x lap timer for Christmas and want to get it wired up. I'm thinking a removable setup on a window suctioncup mount getting power from the ciggy lighter.

Anyone put something like this in? I'd like a few more ideas before I start soldering etc.
I have a Techtronix rhat I velcro to the dash between the a/c vents then wired to a ciggy lighter and and plugged in there. The GPS antenna I just velcroed to the top of the dash far enough forward to be visible through the windshield.

Post_4-600x398.jpg

I use this to mount an AiM Solo. This does not power the device; just mounts it from the power port. Works great, easy to use and remove, perfect readability, nothing blocking my view. Oh, and cheap.

Amazon link here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7PJNQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=jimmypribblec-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004Q7PJNQ

My full review of the Solo and this mount here:

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2012/12/review-aim-solo-dl/

I will try to do better photos of this mounted in my car, but you can see how it mounts in the power port and the flexible arm curves towards the driver for the best readability of the device. In the review, you can see my "driver's view" shot and it is bang-on. I love this thing.

Jimmy

You're freaking me out with upside down pictures. :eek:

I got the power adapter. Just ordered Jimmy's mount idea. I also ordered this deally bob

http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Outlet-Adapter-Socket/dp/B000EEP5Y8

If I can run the power into one socket, Jimmy's mount into the other, then I just pop the entire unit in the ciggy lighter when I need it. This could work out pretty nice, so long as its stable.

Sesshomurai

I use my android phone and OBD2 bluetooth connector and Trackmaster app. It uses GPS for speed and lap times with user-definable way points and audible lap times. video, telemetry, etc. It's wireless too.

darreng505 said:
I use my android phone and OBD2 bluetooth connector and Trackmaster app. It uses GPS for speed and lap times with user-definable way points and audible lap times. video, telemetry, etc. It's wireless too.
I use Trackmaster too. I think my new Galaxy Note II has a high enough GPS refresh rate that I won't need an auxiliary bluetooth device.

Keavdog said:
Ooooh, that looks cool. Researching.

How did you power it

Since I have the Solo DL, it is powered by the OBD-II port. For the standard Solo, you either just run it off it's internal rechargeable battery, or a 12V source. Lots of options.

I got it mounted up. Cigg lighter on the dash works great withe the mount recommended.
I currently power it via the cigg lighter in the center console.

F-A8CE-4AF6-9B49-C1E9C3C15A40-723-000000D67F41E7BC.png

Keavdog said:
I got it mounted up. Cigg lighter on the dash works great withe the mount recommended.
I currently power it via the cigg lighter in the center console.

Looks great, mate. I don't know if it needs it, but I made an insert out of dense packing material that fits into power port opening (the square part) that gives it maybe a little more stability. Even though I could move the mount arm with my hand, it doesn't move or bounce while driving. Still, it can't hurt and maybe keeps from torquing on the power port. Now let us know about your track experiences. Have fun!

Jimmy

TMO Supporting Vendors