The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Larger Rear Brake Rotors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Anybody got a weight comparison on the stock rear rotors (or Centric blank replacements) vs. the 13.8 rears?
I guarantee the larger ones weigh more. ;)

The rears still get real hot.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I also ordered a set from Cale this morning. Real nice guy to talk and deal with.
Hopefully helps with rear rotor and pad life,now I just have to get the cojones to
take it outta sport-mode! Wait till I finish of the stockers then I'll install em.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Cobrarob said:
I also ordered a set from Cale this morning. Real nice guy to talk and deal with.
Hopefully helps with rear rotor and pad life,now I just have to get the cojones to
take it outta sport-mode! Wait till I finish of the stockers then I'll install em.

Yeah I'm trying to fool myself into thinkin I'll wait to install too... About a 1% chance of that playing out. Parts can't sit long at my house...

Hope this upgrade helps my rear brakes a bit. The larger rotors should actually work really well with the rear cooling I have.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
DMichaels said:
Yeah I'm trying to fool myself into thinkin I'll wait to install too... About a 1% chance of that playing out. Parts can't sit long at my house...

Hope this upgrade helps my rear brakes a bit. The larger rotors should actually work really well with the rear cooling I have.

Lol...Gonna try the same rear cooling you have on yours Derek,should help with the heat also.
Hopefully I can just swap sides on the rear pads for Watkins,I'll take a look later.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cobrarob said:
Vorshlag quotes 16.06 lbs. for the 13.8"GT500 rotor vs. 13.4 lbs. for the stock 11.8"

Thank you!

Also for those having rear brake heat problems but still running with AdvanceTrac turned on, my best advice is to turn it completely off. AT pulses the rear brakes for stability control so they will be getting abnormally hot due to this.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
ArizonaBOSS said:
Thank you!

Also for those having rear brake heat problems but still running with AdvanceTrac turned on, my best advice is to turn it completely off. AT pulses the rear brakes for stability control so they will be getting abnormally hot due to this.

Oh yeah,they were "pulsing"away at LimeRock and Watkins...lol

My plan is to turn em off next time out!
Let you guys know how it goes :-\
Thanks

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Cobrarob said:
Gonna be puttin mine on next week. What did you guys torque the
bolts too? Thanks

I am thinking I might have overtorqued the bracket to bracket bolts cause I put locktite on, which lubricated them at install. I torqued them to about 90 ft-lbs. And I did about the same for the bracket to caliper bolts.

Thinking the lubricated ones should have been more like 75 ft-lbs, and since I did not use the locktite on the bracket to caliper bolts, I'm OK with going to about 90 on those.

They were big 18mm hex bolts, similar to wheel lugs, so can handle quite a bit of torque

What are OEM ones too? I always did OEM to about 90-95

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
DMichaels said:
I am thinking I might have overtorqued the bracket to bracket bolts cause I put locktite on, which lubricated them at install. I torqued them to about 90 ft-lbs. And I did about the same for the bracket to caliper bolts.

Thinking the lubricated ones should have been more like 75 ft-lbs, and since I did not use the locktite on the bracket to caliper bolts, I'm OK with going to about 90 on those.

They were big 18mm hex bolts, similar to wheel lugs, so can handle quite a bit of torque

What are OEM ones too? I always did OEM to about 90-95

Thanks Derek,the few times i did the rear brakes think i put them at 80. Wanted to make sure i was in the ballpark!
Ill crank em up to 90 when i do the switch. other than my pads being shot also noticed wore em down to metal and
grooved the rotors! Gonna be upgrading the rotors as well,gave nick a shout at KNS and gonna give Pete a call tomoro...
The credit card is gonna take a hit!! :-\ but the upgrade is gonna be nice :)

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Consider raybestos st43 rear pads. They are excellent on my car.

Thanks rick for the torque values. I'm gonna adjust mine this week

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
DMichaels said:
Consider raybestos st43 rear pads. They are excellent on my car.

Thanks rick for the torque values. I'm gonna adjust mine this week

Papa Smurf

Rear pads!!!

I have used Pagid pads and they are killing my rear rotors. Fronts stop great and wear very well. The rears???

How many track days do you get with the Raybestos pads? rotor wear??

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
For those of you running this rear setup (I've had it since July 2014)... are you noticing any additional brake moan / squeal when coming to a stop? It seems this is a common problem on some of the GT500 boards... and I'm experiencing it as well. All of the 'common' remedies have not resolved the issue. The only thing missing in the setup (OEM parts) is the anti-groan bracket (U-bolt and bracket), but in theory, that is only for moaning symptoms when in reverse.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel