The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Launch Control Question for users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have read quite a bit about the Launch Control that is part on the Track Key program. People are saying it is too much trouble to set each time and that once you shut off the car you need to reset it each time. Is that true? If at the drag strip and you find the best rpm for the conditions do you need to reset each time you restart? If so that would be a pain since you could get pressured for time on your last start up in the staging lanes prior to your run.

Ralph

I don't think it resets, someone could test it. I only tried it once since getting track key installed. I actually find it annoying, how it is automatic instead of being triggered by a button, since if you set it for a good launch then it is too low for burnouts or revving in the driveway ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
It definitely doesn't reset. I was at the track Sunday and pulled into paddock. Came to a complete stop (track key on and fully enabled). And revved the car and it would only go to 2000 RPM. I'm guessing that is the default setting as I have not jacked with it. Gotta admit it scared the crap out of me as the last time I had symptoms like that, I had dropped a valve in the M3.

It dosen't reset,but the 5000rpm max lauch rpm is not enough for a good launch on slick's at the dragstrip.I picked up almost .15 on my 60 ft times and almost 3 tenth's on the et by using the regular key lauching at 6500 rpm's.

I noticed the one time I played with it that the thing about rolling is not true, at least not at low speeds. I let the car roll forward with the clutch depressed and the rpms still didn't go up. It also says that the clutch has to be all the way down, but I didn't play with that yet. Maybe you can lift the clutch just enough to let the button release but the clutch not engage and then you can get more rpms for launches with slicks?

CaliMR said:
I noticed the one time I played with it that the thing about rolling is not true, at least not at low speeds. I let the car roll forward with the clutch depressed and the rpms still didn't go up. It also says that the clutch has to be all the way down, but I didn't play with that yet. Maybe you can lift the clutch just enough to let the button release but the clutch not engage and then you can get more rpms for launches with slicks?
I need to try that as I was wanting to compare times between the 2 keys,but could not find out a way to disable the 2step with trackey to get it to rev past 5000 rpm's.

I'm not sure it will work, as I have not played with the bottom bit of the clutch travel yet, but usually they are fully disengaged short of the bottom stop. I did notice the car won't start unless it is all the way down, if it is up even just a little bit it won't start, so I am guessing it is just a button at the stop. Doubt they put in more than one.

I've messed around with Launch Control several times and found it easy to use. As everyone else has stated, it does not reset at anytime you turn the car off. However, I have yet to find a way to cancel or turn it off. Anyone know any different?

SUPRMN said:
I've messed around with Launch Control several times and found it easy to use. As everyone else has stated, it does not reset at anytime you turn the car off. However, I have yet to find a way to cancel or turn it off. Anyone know any different?

Hum, I thought you had to turn it on every time you wanted to use it. I'll have to try revving the car with the clutch depressed and see if it stops at 2500 rpm. (where I set it)

BossJockey said:
SUPRMN said:

Hum, I thought you had to turn it on every time you wanted to use it. I'll have to try revving the car with the clutch depressed and see if it stops at 2500 rpm. (where I set it)

I tried it, your right it stays active even if you switch to the black key then back to the red. I guess I miss this line when reading the instructions the first time.
Launch control will now be enabled whenever the vehicle is stationary and
the clutch pedal is depressed. The speed set-point is maintained after vehicle shutdown
so it does not need to be set every key cycle unless a new speed set-point is
desired.

The instruction don't say how to turn it off. ???

It is active as soon as the red key software is installed, I noticed the limiter at 2k before I ever played with the LC. So I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to trick it into not being on, at least not with battery pulls or switching keys. The clutch thing I mentioned earlier is the only thing I think might work, unless you can have them turn it off in the tune, as rolling slightly does nothing.

Another thing I am going to try, as a modification of my clutch test, is to try with the clutch off the button to see if it revs freely, and if it does then see if, while keeping the revs high, you can then push the pedal to the floor and it will not kick on LC. Probably will, but maybe not as the tk idle needs you to get out of the idle loop to switch over so maybe the LC needs it too. That would probably be the best solution, assuming it works, so there is no chance of dragging the clutch other than the initial stab at the accelerator to get it above the LC. Just set the LC as low as possible.

TMO Supporting Vendors