The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Launch control with drag radials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any ideas what to set the launch control RPMs at when running 285/40-18 Nitto NT05 Drag radials?
Also, what tire pressure would work best? Going to the track on Dec. 31.

I've been drag racing for many years and there is no certain way that works for every car and tire combination. It will completely be dependent on track conditions, temp/humidity and the car suspension] reaction. You will need to just get out there and practice.

I suggest the following.

Get a good tire pressure gauge, an infrared gun (to check tire and track temp) and weather station. Have someone keep notes on everything.

You might want to paint a strip on the sidewall of the tires and record the tires on launch and record another view from the rear to watch the suspension react.

Concentrate strictly on your 60' times and nothing else until you get your tires and suspension and rpm dialed in.

A while back I read an article in, I think, 5.0 magazine. They tested the NT-05 drag radials on an 04 Mustang set up for drag racing and found that they hooked up better as they increased the air pressure. I think they ended up making there fastest/quickest runs with the air pressures over 30 psi. Would of thought just the opposite.

06mach1 said:
A while back I read an article in, I think, 5.0 magazine. They tested the NT-05 drag radials on an 04 Mustang set up for drag racing and found that they hooked up better as they increased the air pressure. I think they ended up making there fastest/quickest runs with the air pressures over 30 psi. Would of thought just the opposite.
Interesting. I ran the NT05s on my GT500 at the strip a few times and swore they hooked better on higher pressures. I guess it must be true. I thought they were a good all around tire if you wanted one that hooked on the street and for occasional strip use. They still didn't hook great at the drag strip but M/Ts wouldn't last very long on the street if you were trying to do double duty.

I would start out at 16 psi with a M/T drag radial and work down , but not below 12 PSI. Much less then that and the rear end will start to move around on you at the top end. Set the launch control at 4500 rpm. You want to have the rear dampners set loose, as well as the front. You want to be able to shock the sidewall on the launch because it has a stiffer side wall and won't wrinkle like a M/T drag slick. The ideal situation is to have the front rise upwards and the rear to plant downwards, transfering some of the cars weight to the rear. If this gets you close, but not what you need then depending on the initial results you will want to adjust the RPMs up or down a bit. A little practice and it will come to you. you must try all of your attempts after a burn out on a preped track. If none of this applies to you , sorry , but it might help someone

daddyfixer said:
I would start out at 16 psi with a M/T drag radial and work down , but not below 12 PSI. Much less then that and the rear end will start to move around on you at the top end. Set the launch control at 4500 rpm. You want to have the rear dampners set loose, as well as the front. You want to be able to shock the sidewall on the launch because it has a stiffer side wall and won't wrinkle like a M/T drag slick. The ideal situation is to have the front rise upwards and the rear to plant downwards, transfering some of the cars weight to the rear. If this gets you close, but not what you need then depending on the initial results you will want to adjust the RPMs up or down a bit. A little practice and it will come to you. you must try all of your attempts after a burn out on a preped track. If none of this applies to you , sorry , but it might help someone

Great info. Your car looks great! Do you have 15" wheels in the rear and 17" up front? If yes, does it drive okay like that?

Yes 15s and 17s ,And it drives good . After running it for a while now I suggest that you practice your launches with out the L- Control. Start out by rolling it out by slipping the clutch a bit at 2k And work up from there until you find the right point. Drag radials do not like a hard hit if you don't have the rear weighted.

Victor

daddyfixer said:

What rims and sizes are you running on your Boss. Can you post a side shot of your Boss with those rims. I realy like the look.

Sorry, I don't have a side shot of the car, but you can Google Weld wheels and see the pictures there.

Weld V Series 15" with black center on rear

M/T 275/60 R15

Weld Alumastar 17" with black spokes on front

M/H 4.5/ 26.0- 17

Victor

TMO Supporting Vendors