The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Launch control...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So with the weather getting better, I have the itch to try launch control for the first time.
I have it set at 3,500 RPM, and have it saved.

Is there anything I should do or know before launching the car for the first time?

Car has 2,600 miles on it.

big red one said:
i'd try 2600rpm first then increase

I haven't tried it ether, but I have read as stated above is the best starting point. Anything much higher breaks the tire loose. Won't know for sure until you try.

I gave a quick try last night, Holy Hell! TK off, and I didn't even get out of first gear before I shut it down after laying 60 foot black marks. WOW

3,500 RPM is what I launched at on drive Pavement. What a BLAST! Not sure how the car will react at high RPM's and shifting to 2nd gear with TK off, so I shut it down at about 6,500 RPM in 1st gear... But still layed about 60-foot black marks... If tires were not so damn expensive I could easily "over-due" it and have way to much fun...

rpm3dinc said:
3,500 RPM is what I launched at on drive Pavement. What a BLAST! Not sure how the car will react at high RPM's and shifting to 2nd gear with TK off, so I shut it down at about 6,500 RPM in 1st gear... But still layed about 60-foot black marks... If tires were not so damn expensive I could easily "over-due" it and have way to much fun...

If you have stock tires, it gets a little out of shape on a hard 1-2 and a decent bark going into 3rd. Not to worry about the tires, they are rock hard and wear like iron.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel