The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

launch control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a newbie, I was at an autocross event this past weekend and had a difficult time launching the car without spinning the tires. I resorted to launch control in second. The launch control is set at 2,000 rpm's. Seems that as I release the clutch and give it the gas, I get a fair amount of tire spin. Not sure of proper launch technique or if it is the stock pirelli corsa tires. Any advice on quick launches or how to use the launch control better for quick starts or simply do I need different tires.
thanks

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
johna said:
As a newbie, I was at an autocross event this past weekend and had a difficult time launching the car without spinning the tires. I resorted to launch control in second. The launch control is set at 2,000 rpm's. Seems that as I release the clutch and give it the gas, I get a fair amount of tire spin. Not sure of proper launch technique or if it is the stock pirelli corsa tires. Any advice on quick launches or how to use the launch control better for quick starts or simply do I need different tires.
thanks

Johna

With the stock tires I had better results when I did not use launch control. Roll the throttle on and hold the RPM desired and launch by releasing the clutch while adding throttle. This worked best for me.

I found the power comes on too quickly if you floor the throttle and allow the launch control to go to max power when the clutch is released.

Would better tires help with the launch? Most likely.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel