The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

LCA Relocation bracket and Sway bar clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Installed a set of T springs, LCAs (M-5649-S) and LCA relocation brackets (M-5650-A). Also installed an adjustable panhard bar, and running the stock rear sway bar.

I noticed that the new LCA relocation bracket and stock sway bar have virtually no clearance. I haven't taken the car off of the jackstands yet to drive it and let everything settle out. I also haven't played with the panhard bar adjustability (currently set at the length the stock one was at).

Looking at the picture attached, is this lack of clearance normal? Do I need to play around with the panhard bar to gain clearance, or do I need a smaller (thinner) sway bar? I want to run a smaller sway bar than stock eventually, but if I can get away with doing a track event or two with the current setup that would help my budget a little bit.

Swaybar_zps98652833.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Berol said:
Installed a set of T springs, LCAs (M-5649-S) and LCA relocation brackets (M-5650-A). Also installed an adjustable panhard bar, and running the stock rear sway bar.

I noticed that the new LCA relocation bracket and stock sway bar have virtually no clearance. I haven't taken the car off of the jackstands yet to drive it and let everything settle out. I also haven't played with the panhard bar adjustability (currently set at the length the stock one was at).

Looking at the picture attached, is this lack of clearance normal? Do I need to play around with the panhard bar to gain clearance, or do I need a smaller (thinner) sway bar? I want to run a smaller sway bar than stock eventually, but if I can get away with doing a track event or two with the current setup that would help my budget a little bit.

Swaybar_zps98652833.jpg

Berol

Is there a bolt missing at the top of your relocation bracket? Should be something in the original/top hole if I remember correctly.

This may tighten up your issue.

There is another bolt in the kit that I haven't installed yet. I'll put that in the original location and see if that helps any.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Berol said:

Swaybar_zps98652833.jpg

Berol:
Looks like that missing bolt installs in the stock LCA location. The kit I installed also had a sleeve that was installed inside the bracket that the bolt went through to limit compression of the bracket when the nut and bolt is tightened. Not sure if your kit has a sleeve, but if it does, install it there.

The rear sway bar will have movement and may contact the bracket while driving so looking at the location of the near contact, I would use a semi fine file and shave a 1/16" off of the bracket on a 45 degree angle at the point of near contact. Note: nothing severe, just take the edge off.

Looks good otherwise and you will like the results. For the street with T springs I reset my rear shocks to the number 2 setting. And the wife likes number 1 setting! Good luck with your suspension build.
Regards,
302 Hi Pro

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mine are even closer then that with the sway bar relocation brackets installed. I had to grind the sway bar to make clearance about 1/8" off.

Thanks guys.

I'll finish this up later tonight and post an update.

I did drop it off the jack stands just to see how things look. Love the new stance, and I do need to shift the axle to the passenger side a bit. It moved quite a bit with the drop.

Dan

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Dan

I too had to twist my PHB to re-center my rear differential. I was surprised how easy the body shifted when I turned the PHB by hand.

Also, mine took about 500 miles or so to settle in, and it dropped just a bit more after it settled.
Good luck,
Regards
2HP

Great, just ordered the CHE relocation brackets and adjustable LCAs. Not only do I have to worry about the sway bar, but I might have to elongate one of the holes on the bracket to make it fit. So much for an easy install.

TMO Supporting Vendors