The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

LCA Relocation Brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not to hijack the thread too much....

I installed the FRPP LCA's and relocation brackets. Love the final product as well as the inproved traction and rear end stability.

One issue I had was with the rear bushings separating from the arms. The four ends share a common bushing half, 8 per kit. The halves simply slide in, press in from each side. A steel sleeve one inch in diameter slides into the two halves. the rear sleeves are about 1/2 half inch longer than the front. The front portion of the arm with bushings fit snuggly into the opening in the body. The rear with the longer sleeve fits into the LCA lowering bracket. Unfortunately the rear bushing halves are not firmly retained by the bracket as the fronts are.

After just a few miles the bushing halves on the rear started to back out of the LCA. With the approx. 1/2 inch gap from the bushings to the inside of the bracket, this had to happen.

To fix this issue I purchased a stack of 1" washers and 1" shaft spacers, basically smaller washers which fit between the washers to snug up the fit. End results are bushings halves that stay in place.

Has anyone else with the FRPP tube type LCAs, noticed if their bushings have worked their way out of the arms?

Thanks

5 DOT 0 said:
fuhrius said:
for me too. I'm a sucker for huge R&D departments ;-)
I've also tried to sway toward ford stuff for as many of the mods as I can...so that's part of it too.
Gary likes to remind me that it's doubtful any of the aftermarket companies have the resources or access to Ford like Ford Racing does. Buying parts used on the factory race cars is a strategy I like and will continue to use when possible. The Kenny Brown stuff, like many others, is also top notch. I met KB this past August and besides being a nice guy is very passionate and knowledgable about all things Mustang.

As for this comment just remember the smaller companies/shop do not have the money to spend on engineering cost savings that basically make the parts cheaper and not always better. Yes I like the ford racing stuff but they will cut costs on things to save money making parts not always as great as can be.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TMSBOSS said:

I installed the FRPP LCA's and relocation brackets. Love the final product as well as the inproved traction and rear end stability.

One issue I had was with the rear bushings separating from the arms. The four ends share a common bushing half, 8 per kit. The halves simply slide in, press in from each side. A steel sleeve one inch in diameter slides into the two halves. the rear sleeves are about 1/2 half inch longer than the front. The front portion of the arm with bushings fit snuggly into the opening in the body. The rear with the longer sleeve fits into the LCA lowering bracket. Unfortunately the rear bushing halves are not firmly retained by the bracket as the fronts are.

After just a few miles the bushing halves on the rear started to back out of the LCA. With the approx. 1/2 inch gap from the bushings to the inside of the bracket, this had to happen.

To fix this issue I purchased a stack of 1" washers and 1" shaft spacers, basically smaller washers which fit between the washers to snug up the fit. End results are bushings halves that stay in place.

Has anyone else with the FRPP tube type LCAs, noticed if their bushings have worked their way out of the arms?

Thanks

I think you got a bad set of LCAs like I did. On the original set I got, the LCA "bushing housings" or the "round ends" were the same width front and rear--this is an INCORRECT design. The rear should be wider than the front (aka matching the steel sleeves). I returned mine and got a correct set from FRPP after much waiting. I think they stopped their production line. If your front and rear bushing housings on the LCA are the same width, SEND THEM BACK!!

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
ArizonaGT said:
TMSBOSS said:

Thanks

I think you got a bad set of LCAs like I did. On the original set I got, the LCA "bushing housings" or the "round ends" were the same width front and rear--this is an INCORRECT design. The rear should be wider than the front (aka matching the steel sleeves). I returned mine and got a correct set from FRPP after much waiting. I think they stopped their production line. If your front and rear bushing housings on the LCA are the same width, SEND THEM BACK!!

Great!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have a photo I can compare?

I won't be home until December.....maybe.

Would like to address this with FRPP. A picture would help.

With the spacers I installed.....it should work.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Spacers should work in theory, I thought about doing that myself. I'm not comfortable with putting a stack of washers in there on an area that's going to take a lot of load on the track, however.
And yes I'm aware that the silver sleeve does not go in the LCA, corrected that on re-install.

h2ZlV.jpg

M8S2K.jpg

TMSBOSS said:

Thanks

interesting....when the shop that installed mine went to do the install they ran across the same issue. they called Ford Racing and the guy at Ford Racing told them that that's just the way they're supposed to be. I'd appreciate seeing some pics...and I'll try to get some pics of mine too to compare.

interesting....when the shop that installed mine went to do the install they ran across the same issue. they called Ford Racing and the guy at Ford Racing told them that that's just the way they're supposed to be. I'd appreciate seeing some pics...and I'll try to get some pics of mine too to compare.
[/quote]

If that is the way they are supposed to be then I would return those that looks bad like it will wear fast and may even break. I cant believe that is the correct way for those.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
ArizonaGT said:
Spacers should work in theory, I thought about doing that myself. I'm not comfortable with putting a stack of washers in there on an area that's going to take a lot of load on the track, however.
And yes I'm aware that the silver sleeve does not go in the LCA, corrected that on re-install.

h2ZlV.jpg

M8S2K.jpg

Arizona

Thanks for the photos.

This is exactly what happened to mine. I installed shims/washers on the inside to stop the bushing from backing out. This stopped the problem.

Washers are 1", which fits over the sleeve. Required thickness of shim pack is about 1/2inch.

I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue, apparently not.

Well, I thought I was set until I saw these last couple of posts. Now I'm unsure. I'm just not impressed with FR saying that is the way they are supposed to be. BMR is giving me a pretty good discount so I may go that route.

Hey if you need a spacer bushing I can make you a few just give me a pm of the hole size outter diameter and length you need I know how it is when you have trouble with parts I'll do the two spacers free after they arrive you just simply send me the amount of shipping. I have plenty of scrap to make them out of you name it aluminum , radel , polly your choice. I own a small cnc prototype shop at home. It's my hobby along with the Boss ;D

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
jeepinocala said:
Hey if you need a spacer bushing I can make you a few just give me a pm of the hole size outter diameter and length you need I know how it is when you have trouble with parts I'll do the two spacers free after they arrive you just simply send me the amount of shipping. I have plenty of scrap to make them out of you name it aluminum , radel , polly your choice. I own a small cnc prototype shop at home. It's my hobby along with the Boss ;D

Jeep

The OD of the sleeve you may be making the spacer for is 1 inch. The thickness for the spacer is about 1/2 inch. If the spacer is made 3/8 to 7/16 and a few shims are available, even better.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LindsayEOD said:
Well, I thought I was set until I saw these last couple of posts. Now I'm unsure. I'm just not impressed with FR saying that is the way they are supposed to be. BMR is giving me a pretty good discount so I may go that route.

FR is NOT saying that is the way they are supposed to be--they stopped their production and corrected the problem. They replaced my LCAs as well. HOWEVER if you are buying from a parts distributor (such as American Muscle or CJPP), what they have in-stock could be the problematic versions.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TMSBOSS said:
ArizonaGT said:

h2ZlV.jpg

M8S2K.jpg

Arizona

Thanks for the photos.

This is exactly what happened to mine. I installed shims/washers on the inside to stop the bushing from backing out. This stopped the problem.

Washers are 1", which fits over the sleeve. Required thickness of shim pack is about 1/2inch.

I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue, apparently not.

For anyone wondering why so many folks are going with FRPP for mods, here is my answer.

I did have an issue with FRPP LCAs. Just like the photos of Arizona's car, the LCAs on my car had the bushing issues like the photo above.

Gary, Cloud9 contacted Mark Wilson at Ford Racing and passed along our issue. Within 2 hours I contacted Mark who inturn acknowledged the issue and is sending replacement arms. See email below.

Tracy,

Thanks for contacting me and I apologize for the issue you are experiencing.
Based on the pictures on the Boss forum it looks like your arms were made wrong.
I have seen one other set like this a few months ago. We inspected all of the
arms that we had in our warehouse and didn't find any others like it but
obviously the set you have made it out somehow.

I am going to have another set of arms sent to you tomorrow to replace the
arms that you have. If you can replace the arms and discard the old arms it
would be appreciated.

I'm assuming the address listed below would be the correct one to send the
replacement parts to. If this is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for supporting Ford Racing and I apologize for any inconvenience that
this may have caused.

That Is Ourstanding Customer Service!!! :) Thanks Mark, FRPP

Amazing support from a web forum!!!!!! Thanks Gary!!!

TMSBOSS said:
For anyone wondering why so many folks are going with FRPP for mods, here is my answer.

I did have an issue with FRPP LCAs. Just like the photos of Arizona's car, the LCAs on my car had the bushing issues like the photo above.

Gary, Cloud9 contacted Mark Wilson at Ford Racing and passed along our issue. Within 2 hours I contacted Mark who inturn acknowledged the issue and is sending replacement arms. See email below.

Tracy,

Thanks for contacting me and I apologize for the issue you are experiencing.
Based on the pictures on the Boss forum it looks like your arms were made wrong.
I have seen one other set like this a few months ago. We inspected all of the
arms that we had in our warehouse and didn't find any others like it but
obviously the set you have made it out somehow.

I am going to have another set of arms sent to you tomorrow to replace the
arms that you have. If you can replace the arms and discard the old arms it
would be appreciated.

I'm assuming the address listed below would be the correct one to send the
replacement parts to. If this is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for supporting Ford Racing and I apologize for any inconvenience that
this may have caused.

That Is Ourstanding Customer Service!!! :) Thanks Mark, FRPP

Amazing support from a web forum!!!!!! Thanks Gary!!!
Yep good stuff right there.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel