Leaking engine oil pressure sensor (with pics)

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by THX 138, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Eric62

Eric62 TMO Intermediate

Paint marks, Loctite products and constant inspection are your friends! When I raced, I went over every fastener and critical item before every race. Paint marks around the nut to show shifting and then a line to determine loosening. Stuff falling off at a combined 140 mph and 1.2 G's braking can just ruin your weekend. I still do it on my track car because I want to be able to drive home. OCD is a good condition to have for sports like ours.

2. Ruby Red GT350

Ruby Red GT350 TMO Beginner

Did you do the work yourself? Mine is starting to back off a little and wanted to tackle it now but am very concerned about taking it to the dealer. I am very good mechanically and do not see a problem fixing it but wanted to verify with someone who has done it before.

It looks like you can remove the intake system to get to it and when installing you torque to 124 in pounds and turn an additional 180*. Does that sound right (read it on an on-line service manual)

Many thanks,
    Dan

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. 11GT50

11GT50 TMO Intermediate

Yes I fixed it myself. The intake tubing and air box do come out and give pretty good access to it. I don't remember what torque spec I found but I ended up stopping before I came up to full spec because I didn't have a lot of confidence in the number I did find. I still check it periodically and it's been almost 2000 miles and a handful of track days and it hasn't visibly backed off. Clean in the threads in the block and on the sensor well before adding the sealant.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    VoodooBoss likes this.
  4. Ruby Red GT350

Ruby Red GT350 TMO Beginner

Thank you very much for responding- much appreciated. I assume the original marks lined up after you installed it?

5. 11GT50

11GT50 TMO Intermediate

I don't recall any existing witness marks on mine.

6. THX 138

THX 138 TMO Intermediate

UPDATE: After nearly a full year since my local dealer performed the repair according to the TSB, my oil pressure sensor has not loosened. I painted a fresh witness mark after the repair (in a different color) and while I had the front wheels off today, I checked the sensor and saw that the witness mark still lines up. I’ll be doing a full track weekend (Friday through Sunday) in early June and will report back after that event.

Grant 302 likes this.