The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Leaking engine oil pressure sensor (with pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paint marks, Loctite products and constant inspection are your friends! When I raced, I went over every fastener and critical item before every race. Paint marks around the nut to show shifting and then a line to determine loosening. Stuff falling off at a combined 140 mph and 1.2 G's braking can just ruin your weekend. I still do it on my track car because I want to be able to drive home. OCD is a good condition to have for sports like ours.

Loctite by itself isn't intended to be a thread sealer. Mine came loose about 1000 miles ago (I currently have 4400 miles) and I used Permatex Seal & Lock.

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/seal-lock/
Did you do the work yourself? Mine is starting to back off a little and wanted to tackle it now but am very concerned about taking it to the dealer. I am very good mechanically and do not see a problem fixing it but wanted to verify with someone who has done it before.

It looks like you can remove the intake system to get to it and when installing you torque to 124 in pounds and turn an additional 180*. Does that sound right (read it on an on-line service manual)

Many thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Did you do the work yourself?
Yes I fixed it myself. The intake tubing and air box do come out and give pretty good access to it. I don't remember what torque spec I found but I ended up stopping before I came up to full spec because I didn't have a lot of confidence in the number I did find. I still check it periodically and it's been almost 2000 miles and a handful of track days and it hasn't visibly backed off. Clean in the threads in the block and on the sensor well before adding the sealant.

Last edited:
Yes I fixed it myself. The intake tubing and air box do come out and give pretty good access to it. I don't remember what torque spec I found but I ended up stopping before I came up to full spec because I didn't have a lot of confidence in the number I did find. I still check it periodically and it's been almost 2000 miles and a handful of track days and is hasn't visibly backed off. Clean in the threads in the block and on the sensor well before adding the sealant.

Thank you very much for responding- much appreciated. I assume the original marks lined up after you installed it?

UPDATE: After nearly a full year since my local dealer performed the repair according to the TSB, my oil pressure sensor has not loosened. I painted a fresh witness mark after the repair (in a different color) and while I had the front wheels off today, I checked the sensor and saw that the witness mark still lines up. I’ll be doing a full track weekend (Friday through Sunday) in early June and will report back after that event.

I had this same problem. 2016 GT PP here. Ran a hot track day at NJMP on Sunday. By the time I got home I'd lost a quart of oil. Oil pressure never dropped so I'm glad I checked immediately. Probably good advice for anyone tracking their Mustang to check that.

I just fixed mine on my 16 GT PP. I was lucky my wires acted like a safety wire and kept it from coming out completely.

Same here. Did you torque back to spec (124 lb.in then 180 degree turn)? I torqued mine to 124 lb.in but only did about 100 degree turn. 180 felt like too much

DFW, TX
I went to swap to street tires and saw a trail of oil from under my car. Looks like my oil sender worked loose. From the painted witness marks it may have backed out about 10 degrees. No real noticeable oil loss other than the puddle under the car. Likely worked loose on the way home from the track.

DFW, TX
Awaiting the Loctite 592 thread sealant to cure. It said it's for use on metal fittings like oil pressure senders. Taking off the cold air intake is definitely the way to go. You need a deep 27mm socket for the sender. I ended up tightening it past the original witness marks about the same as it backed out, 10-15 degrees.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hello All,

I am chasing a similar oil leak. I have a 2017 PP with GT350 gauges installed but wasn't paying attention to the oil pressure. It was the droplets on the oil filter access panel that caught my attention and then the sound of droplets after ri turned the car off. top of engine is dry after installing GT500 cam covers last week. After finding this thread it seems to be the oil sensor.

Does this look like it has come loose? I don't see any witness mark from factory.

0AE96D45-40F5-4D23-9C61-8B806BB6A67B.jpeg

A71B4BD8-7EF1-4561-A8D3-411B44A0D02B.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors