The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let’s see your Heat extraction / Hood vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a heads up, I used C2 Customs out of Raleigh and couldn't be happier. I wanted to make a cheap hood with good heat extraction, so I found a junkyard hood and put the center vent (universal kit) on it from C2. All in it cost me less than $400 with the junkyard hood that a I purchased. I will say, the boss 302 has such a high intake manifold that the vents will actually touch the strut tower brace and intake. I put some one sided heat tape on the intake and strut tower and pressed the vents into it. It works great, no vibrations and the hood doesn't try to fly off at 155 any more!

I am also going to put some of their universal side vents (you can see the on the hood unpainted for additional heat extraction.
View attachment 7854View attachment 7855View attachment 7856View attachment 7857
Looks great. How this been working for you? Is this a Track Spec product? I could not locate on their website.

Looks great. How this been working for you? Is this a Track Spec product? I could not locate on their website.
Hey man! I have since sold the car, and the vent, but ironically still have the hood if you are interested... I am in Charlotte, I believe you’re fairly close as we drove together at VIR.
The hood worked great! No more hood flutter as it was venting well, and kept temps down by about 10-12 degrees it seemed. The part is made by a gentleman out of Raleigh. It is called Carters Customs and this was a universal vent that I used. Looked great and worked well!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been the first 2018 mistang installing tracspec hood louvers. But
I have to confess. Racelouvers are another level. Wind tunnel tests showed tons of good data also comparing to trackspec.
I changed the central hood with racelouvers but i kept the side trackspec.

I too swapped out my Trackspec for the Race Louvers on my 2015. The custom center vent was a direct swap with no additional cutting needed. Minor additional trimming needed for the side vents, and both pair together perfectly.

5097C4AA-914B-4710-97C7-844CB37A0E2D.jpeg2B1913C2-926C-4ECD-905A-B2E702015FF8.jpegE2BBAE34-0341-442F-B0D9-4E6A9DCDA412.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Track Spec Here. Very happy with the results.

41403567_10156669875378535_7067118297564577792_n.jpg

FWIW don't expect "street" carbon fiber hoods to be lighter than the stock hood, the "race" hoods are a bit crude, just like all performance carbon fiber stuff. The "street" carbon fiber is sometimes supported by internal foam, multiple layups and a crap load of resin and urethane to make it look good for the street. Not necessarily the best for performance.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
TrackSpec louvers (initially designed for Fiesta and Focus) on my Trufiber carbon hood. I agree with Blacksheep-1, street carbon fiber pieces have "esthetic" requirements that mean they don't save up as much weight as you might expect, but honestly the one on my She;by saved a good 10 lbs over the stock hood, and that's weight in a fairly high position on the vehicle so you can feel it.

89440065_10221433469119733_9072372952506302464_o.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will agree strongly that vents or similar concepts really seem to work well with the Mustang. I know after I installed what used to be called a " Tiger Hood," from Chicane 23 ( now just called " Heat Extraction Hoods ) the temp stayed under 200 degrees in a 30 minute NASA race at Pueblo - 5000 feet up. I went with the hood , instead of just vents, for the weight advantage and more help with downforce, but either method really seems quite effective in reducing engine temp. I know my 2012 needed the entire grill removed and a couple bottles of water wetter at High Altitude to stay in a decent zone and vents or a Chicane 23 hood is the way to go , in my mind, for longevity of the 5 or 5.2 liter motors.

This is an impressive thread with some beautiful handiwork by members with obvious skill and ...........patience.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My (butchered) stock hood. Race Louvers RT in the middle and Verus vents on the side. Would have gotten Race Louvers sides but they weren't ready when I did this. I taped off the front 1/3 of the side vents, that part of the vent is actually slightly ahead of the rad and I am told by people who know that having them open that far forward can actually decrease extraction. Results from the center vent were way beyond what I expected, 40 degree drop in engine temp and lap times down a little over a second a lap at Mosport. Cheapest speed ever.

IMG_20200618_161711.jpg

Just a heads up, I used C2 Customs out of Raleigh and couldn't be happier. I wanted to make a cheap hood with good heat extraction, so I found a junkyard hood and put the center vent (universal kit) on it from C2. All in it cost me less than $400 with the junkyard hood that a I purchased. I will say, the boss 302 has such a high intake manifold that the vents will actually touch the strut tower brace and intake. I put some one sided heat tape on the intake and strut tower and pressed the vents into it. It works great, no vibrations and the hood doesn't try to fly off at 155 any more!

I am also going to put some of their universal side vents (you can see the on the hood unpainted for additional heat extraction.
View attachment 7854View attachment 7855View attachment 7856View attachment 7857
The look of your hood vent is exactly what I am looking for, I looked up Carter’s Customs and found the vent you have. My question to you is since these are shipped unpainted, do you think that the vent could be modified so that it does not touch the strut tower brace/ Intake manifold before powder coating? I am just in the middle of installing a Gen 5 3.0 Whipple supercharger and could use all of the airflow possible. The vent you chose looks much better than the offerings from Trackspec and Race Louvers.

The look of your hood vent is exactly what I am looking for, I looked up Carter’s Customs and found the vent you have. My question to you is since these are shipped unpainted, do you think that the vent could be modified so that it does not touch the strut tower brace/ Intake manifold before powder coating? I am just in the middle of installing a Gen 5 3.0 Whipple supercharger and could use all of the airflow possible. The vent you chose looks much better than the offerings from Trackspec and Race Louvers.
It’s slightly flexible, but yes, you can test fit and move the louvers to a specific point. Perhaps at that point you spot weld the vents that are adjusted to have less angle / less chance of hitting??

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Hey all. This is my 2015 Mustang GT. Trackspec side hood vents installed, I have the center vent but waiting for the rain to pass here in San Diego before install. And I have the first set of the new race Louvers RSF top curved fender vents going on the car soon as well. The 2 stock location vents made a noticeable reduction in high speed front end lift.

92F45616-E6AA-49BA-ACD9-55C3B965F489.jpeg

9F4222F5-F9EF-43A6-ADB9-CB46E2287167.jpeg

9F88ED37-FE3D-4D67-91FE-AB0F0717CDE5.jpeg

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Also working on getting the new Race Louvers RSF top curved vents on as well.
I started my install of the new RSF fender vents yesterday. Riveting them on tomorrow. This is my progress and method of install. (As far as I know I'm still the first putting out photos and installing these RSF's)

I made sure the top and bottom edges of the vent outline were 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" from the top fender body line (seam between fender and hood) and bottom line (crease where the fender goes flat vertically for the wheel well arch). Also I put the front top corner of the vent 16-5/8" away from the front corner of the fender(measuring along fender to hood seam). I also opted to keep the fender liner intact, so I cut a 13" x 3.5" rectangle out of the fender liner and JB Welded on the mesh I got off Amazon. I also filed and sanded down the entirety of the cut portions of the fender, then applied Rustoleum grey primer as a surface protectant and corrosion preventer.

IMG_1667.jpg

2ABD0148-1ED7-40CA-8774-45AD61A84898.JPG

3867BD55-82F6-4466-AFF3-3B67598D87F7.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors