The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let’s see your Heat extraction / Hood vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve got a spare hood and planning on doing a budget vented / heat extraction build. I’m looking st the trackspec universal vents, anyone running these? Any other good options out there? Has anyone tried fitting the 13/14 gt vents on the side for a bit of extra cooking with a large center vent? Would love to see some pics! This is for a 2012 Boss.

I decided a needed this after I swapped my grille and the hood flutter at 150 is a bit scary!

Cheers

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The Trackspec vents are a pretty good option; I probably would have pursued those if they existed when I was first going down that path.

I have the Trackspec hood vents and they are wide open compared to the non-functional stock vents. After a session I can feel the volume of heat escaping through the vents so I feel comfortable that they are improving heat escape and pressure at speed. The only negative for me is I have to tape down covers when it might rain because my air filter sits right under the vent and heavy rain will definitely soak the motor

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Trackspec vents or Tiger Racing hood are pretty much the only two off-the-shelf functional options that I'm aware of (that are worth considering).

I have the Trackspec hood vents and they are wide open compared to the non-functional stock vents. After a session I can feel the volume of heat escaping through the vents so I feel comfortable that they are improving heat escape and pressure at speed. The only negative for me is I have to tape down covers when it might rain because my air filter sits right under the vent and heavy rain will definitely soak the motor
Which ones did you buy? I was thinking the larger universal one. It seems fairly short at only 13 inches versus the ones made for the s-197.

I bought the S197 specific vents. Easy install.....no cutting. They work.
Got it, mine has no holes (2012) so I'll be cutting away. I like the though of one single vent, over the twin vents that are specific to the 2012. Looks like I may just end up with the 10-12 specific s197s after all. Perhaps add some small universal ones to the side of the hood if needed.

they are wide open compared to the non-functional stock vents. After a session I can feel the volume of heat escaping through the vents so I feel comfortable that they are improving heat escape and pressure at speed. The only negative for me is I have to tape down covers when it might rain because my air filter sits right under the vent and heavy rain will definitely soak the motor

Why do you say OEM is non functional? The OEM have openings that have access to the engine bay only impeded by a notched, stepped, and flared fire protection blanket on the bottom of the hood to allow flow. At a stoplight, you can see heat radiating out of the OEM vents.

There a difference between non functional and less efficient. Just curious if you really meant non functional or if you meant less efficient.

How easy would it be to swap between these and the OEM ones between track days or at the end of the season?

I have some experience with these, there a bit of a pain (stock ones) to pop out as they use quite a few clips. I would imagine there would be some broken clips after too many removals...

I also agree with the fact the stock ones are just “less functional”. You can drill them out for a bit bit more air flow as well.

Just curious if you really meant non functional or if you meant less efficient.

Well I guess if we are being literal then the stock vents are functional in that some air/heat escapes. But if we are going to compare how the stock and Trackspec vents function in releasing heat and limiting pressure build-up (especially at speed when there is a significant increase in heat and air build-up underhood) then IMHO there is no comparison. The Trackspec vents are almost like having two holes in your hood…..nothing preventing the upward movement and escape of heat/pressure. The angled vents just maximize flow and extraction. The stock pieces just don't have the design and sheer freedom of air movement to address the build-up. That's why you can park your car outside in the rain and not have a wet motor when you open the hood with the stock vents. I can literally see a large part of my engine standing above the Trackspecs and there is nothing blocking that view.....just large open space for air (and water) to travel through.....which is exactly what I need them to do.

Well I guess if we are being literal then the stock vents are functional in that some air/heat escapes. But if we are going to compare how the stock and Trackspec vents function in releasing heat and limiting pressure build-up (especially at speed when there is a significant increase in heat and air build-up underhood) then IMHO there is no comparison. The Trackspec vents are almost like having two holes in your hood…..nothing preventing the upward movement and escape of heat/pressure. The angled vents just maximize flow and extraction. The stock pieces just don't have the design and sheer freedom of air movement to address the build-up. That's why you can park your car outside in the rain and not have a wet motor when you open the hood with the stock vents. I can literally see a large part of my engine standing above the Trackspecs and there is nothing blocking that view.....just large open space for air (and water) to travel through.....which is exactly what I need them to do.

Cool. To be fair my intake gets soaked when it rains. The fire blanket under the hood is molded as a rain catch and drain the water towards the front of the bay. Airaid makes a CAI intake water shield for 13/14's because the intake is right under the vent drains and can soak the filters. They give them out for free to Airaid customers with 13/14.

I wish I had the skills to fab some type of enclosure for my new JLT intake. The filter is huge and it's exposed right under the vent. I can't even get near rain let alone drive on the track.

Just a heads up, I used C2 Customs out of Raleigh and couldn't be happier. I wanted to make a cheap hood with good heat extraction, so I found a junkyard hood and put the center vent (universal kit) on it from C2. All in it cost me less than $400 with the junkyard hood that a I purchased. I will say, the boss 302 has such a high intake manifold that the vents will actually touch the strut tower brace and intake. I put some one sided heat tape on the intake and strut tower and pressed the vents into it. It works great, no vibrations and the hood doesn't try to fly off at 155 any more!

I am also going to put some of their universal side vents (you can see the on the hood unpainted for additional heat extraction.
959F5D82-B60D-4417-BC8F-2401B7277347.jpegF3407590-1F15-4D87-B91F-4DA41657263B.jpegEF70E301-5569-418C-B016-4240E64D33E3.jpegA8D746CD-C44E-4DF9-AC57-C839C9ABC11C.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors