The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let’s see your Heat extraction / Hood vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
07-09 GT500 hood with Trackspec vents, very effective but still good looking and kind of stockishhood.jpg

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Good call on the mesh. Mine have had the paint on the inside beat up in the first session after install

Wow the color match on your vents look great though! My car is black with black wheels, so the vents kinda blend in color wise.
Once again these are the new RSF top curved fender vents, so the redesigned ones that just came out. Just sent Al at Race Louvers the base photos since there aren't any on their site yet.
Car already felt noticeably more stable up front, can't wait to get some track time with these to properly gauge the difference.

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

I have track spec side vents to go on my 2016 and am considering a center vent.

What is the main difference between the Trackspec and Race Louvers center vent? Or should I stock with one mfg?

Car is primarily a CAMC autocross car (yes aero for autocross works), but I do drive on the street in Hiuston summers and occasional DE.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina

What is the main difference between the Trackspec and Race Louvers center vent? Or should I stock with one mfg?

Car is primarily a CAMC autocross car (yes aero for autocross works), but I do drive on the street in Hiuston summers and occasional DE.
Race Louvers have a built-in wicker bill on the front that makes them significantly more effective.

The biggest issue with side hood vents for the 15-17s is the front half of the vent is forward of the radiator including trackspecs and we know from wind tunnel testing venting a hood needs to be behind the radiator for good airflow thru the rad. Our Race Louver kits have a blank panel built into the front to make sure the louvers blades are shifted rearward and properly positioned aft of the radiator. So its highly likely your trackspecs arent functioning at all so you may want to upgrade them. Also if you look at any of our wind tunnel data the 'recessed' louver we use for reference testing is in fact the trackspec part and ours are clearly much better functioning. So you might consider new sides and center as we currently have 15% off for black friday / cyber monday.

The biggest issue with side hood vents for the 15-17s is the front half of the vent is forward of the radiator including trackspecs and we know from wind tunnel testing venting a hood needs to be behind the radiator for good airflow thru the rad. Our Race Louver kits have a blank panel built into the front to make sure the louvers blades are shifted rearward and properly positioned aft of the radiator. So its highly likely your trackspecs arent functioning at all so you may want to upgrade them. Also if you look at any of our wind tunnel data the 'recessed' louver we use for reference testing is in fact the trackspec part and ours are clearly much better functioning. So you might consider new sides and center as we currently have 15% off for black friday / cyber monday.
So the RS side vents and center vent? Are they sold in a package?

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Added the GT4 center hood vent to my stock hood. A little nerve-wracking making the first cut...

Looks great! I understand the nerve-wracking part. I've got a set of Race Louvers sitting in my garage for a few months now while I steel myself to cut the hood. I owe Al some pictures of it when I'm done, though I'm wondering if I should exchange the RS type for the RT type.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
old factory hood with gt500 vent and some modification

46520390125_3f537986f1_c.jpg

gr40 fiberglass hood

untitled.jpg

Trackspec vents. Cannot have enough vent area to let out the heat. I wish the center vent was longer and closer to the cowl like as long as the side hood vents. I would like to know if these three vents are as effective as the Tiger/Chicane23 vented hood. I have thought about changing the hood but that would be about $2K all in and painted.

DSC_8186-2.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Trackspec vents. Cannot have enough vent area to let out the heat. I wish the center vent was longer and closer to the cowl like as long as the side hood vents. I would like to know if these three vents are as effective as the Tiger/Chicane23 vented hood. I have thought about changing the hood but that would be about $2K all in and painted.

View attachment 70508
You don't wanna get too close to the cowl, there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield that will force air into the louvers defeating their purpose. If anything, you want to get closer to the nose. Ideally the louvers should start right at the back of the radiator. That's actually quite a bit of vent area on that hood. A small wicker would help with efficiency.

Last edited:

View attachment 70508
Heres Trackspec vs Race Louvers: https://racelouvers.com/content/Race-Louvers-Wicker-Gurney-Flap-Raised-Louver-Wind-Tunnel-Data.pdf
Heres Tiger vs Race Louvers: https://racelouvers.com/content/Race-Louvers-Mustang-Hood-Shootout-Wind-Tunnel-Data.pdf

Basically tiger and trackspec operate about the same, but our Race Louvers are about double so I wouldnt go out a buy any cf hood unless its about the carbon thing..

You don't wanna get too close to the cowl, there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield that will force air into the louvers defeating their purpose. If anything, you want to get closer to the nose. Ideally the louvers should start right at the back of the radiator. That's actually quite a bit of vent area on that hood. A small wicker would help with efficiency.
Thanks Fabman - I think I will fab up a couple wickers of various heights for the leading edge of the vents and try them out.

TMO Supporting Vendors