The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lethal Performance Over Axle Pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i have talked with them about it and they are in, but they are concerned with the price point. for those who have had resonators installed, how much did the parts and labor cost you? a cost adder of something less than this, would be the target.

The adjustability of 2 piece OAPs should help me get some clearance between the axle and panhard brace, right? Now that I am sitting a bit lower on coilovers, it seems like I am getting some contact when I hit bigger bumps.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i haven't installed mine yet, but the 2 piece design is what i am banking on to be able to adjust it to clear. there is nothing i find more annoying than exhaust rattles!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
302 Hi Pro said:
I had installed the same 3.0" MagnaFlow system, with X pipe, I really like this system and I'm happy with the quality of the stainless steel they used. But for the past 10 months, (since I installed the FRPP "T" springs), I fiddled with the left side over the axle pipe as it would hit the body or the KB box steel PB brace. (It was one or the other, depending on how I re-adjusted the pipe to muffler connection)

Then just last weekend I was looking at the muffler hanger rods, and it seemed the L/Side rear inner muffler hanger rod was actually bent inwards at the top by 1.5" or so. I loosened both front and rear OTA pipe clamps and used a 28" crows foot bar to pry back the top of the hanger rod to a straight position. I found the new position of the muffler and inlet pipe allowed me to rotate the OTA pipe that gave me much better body to pipe clearance. Next I fabricated a 1/4" mild steel PB brace body bracket/spacer and installed for better clearance on the bottom of the pipe, and it totally eliminated that occasional bang/ knock sound over bumps and dips in the road.

It's like a new ride! Justin, thanks for posting as I can attest to this fix as it has really made the Boss enjoyable to ride over those occasional bumps and especially those dips in the road. Plus, the tips are now perfectly balanced.

2HP
no problem. Picked up the spacer tip from installing a 3" sve exhaust on my 06. You want to talk about fitment issues. I see now why they discontinued that exhaust system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
So, after installing these pipes, I have a few comments. First, you are left to your own devices as to how to connect these to anything other than the factory 2.75" butt joint band clamp. 3" h or x pipes will need an adapter to work. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who sells a stainless steel version, so I'm stuck with a mild steel one. You also will not get a pair of band clamps to use on this joint in the kit. Secondly, I cannot get the concave band clamps on the mufflers to tighten around these OAP's for more than a few miles. The road vibration loosens the joint (without loosening the bolt) every time. I have tried multiple used clamps and none will keep hold. I am looking for new ones, but they seem to be an oddity. Third, the ds pipe is too close to the panhard support brace. I spaced it down with washers and longer bolts to add clearance. That worked. Fourth, the pipes hang down too low at the bend before turning up after the gas tank. I am going to pull them off and trim a bit off the end that goes into the 2nd pipe and see if I can get it to sit higher. I scraped them on a hard bump, so I need to do something.

Lastly, it's LOUD! Idle is a nice burble, but touching the throttle is like spinning the volume knob all the way up. I may end up with resonators. SS resonators are really expensive!

Well it sounds like they were a big pain for you, Steve. You have all the luck sometimes!

Do you know what size the panhard brace bolts are? I was thinking about spacing mine down a bit, too.

Thank you.

John

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i sure do have the luck! but really these were very minor hiccups associated with most aftermarket parts. still good parts.

M10 thread. i ended up with about 1/2" worth of washers. not sure if that much was necessary, but it didn't hurt anything.

Thank you for the info. By the way, if your exhaust is now too loud, I have used these sorts of inserts on my Mitsubishi Evos and Buell motorcycles - takes the edge off the sound and doesn't impede exhaust flow much if at all.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-772-32520/overview/

Steve,

If you get a chance, can you take some pictures of the axle clearance with the suspension loaded? I would like to know if the pipes limit suspension travel.

thanks.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
When I get some clearance, I will take pics ::)

I got the clamp issue taken care of, but the rattle didn't go away...turns out the raised area right at the end of the pumpkin (where the axle tube goes in) is hitting the band clamp between the 2 pieces of the OAP. When I get some time, I am going to jack her up and get it readjusted. I am considering some sort of intermediate exhaust hanger at the H to OAP joint. Seems messed up that ford would let the entire system be suspended from the header and muffler without a single hanger in between!

Steve,

Actually, I just remembered we will both be at VIR in May and I can just take a look between sessions. That would certainly be easier than the pictures.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel